Add coolant overflow to 225?

-

73Duster225

Reaction score
I have a 1973 Plymouth Duster with the 225. This summer it has been running a bit warmer than I would like. I plan on replacing the coolant, flushing the system, and putting a 180 thermostat in it. I was wondering if anybody knows if it's possible to install a coolant overflow and if so how to do it.

I added one to my beater Dart...It's an Aquafina bottle with a hose running to it. No joke. It works well. It doesn't look great, but the car doesn't look that great either. :)

Well, firstly, that slanty shouldnt need one. If the pump and fan are working, it should be very difficult to overheat. And the overflow wont change an overheating issue one bit. It will just catch the mess if you overfill the rad.
If you have A/C the temp may come up some.
If the water temp gets up over a true200*F at over 30 mph, then you should suspect a cooling system problem; such as restricted rad cores, a bad pump, collapsing lower hose, etc.
If it gets over a true200*F at under 30mph,suspect a bad pump, or a slipping belt.

The above assumes; 1) the stat is opening and staying open, and 2) the ignition timing is not retarded, and 3) the carb is properly calibrated, and 4) the tires aint flat,brakes aint dragging and you're not towing a humongous trailer behind it!

But to answer your question; If you cant find a good system in the local wrecking yard,heres what you can do; Find a plastic container with a screw top. the bottle should be about 2 liters capacity, oops 2 qts. It should be about 2 to 3 times as tall as it is wide. The screw top needs to have room for a rubber hose, and a vent hole.You dont really need the screw-top but its handy to keep the hose up off the bottom. Then find a hose that fits on the little nipple located on the rad,just under the cap. Run that hose over to wherever you have mounted that bottle,(usually on the passenger side of the rad and sitting on the frame),and through a hole in the cap, and down to about 1 inch from the bottom. Cut the hose off at a 45* angle. Poke a second hole in the screw cap, about 1/8" to serve as a vent. Finally fill the rad right to the top, and put just enough coolant in the bottle to cover the bottom of the overflow hose to a depth of about 2 inches from the bottom. When the engine is fully warmed up it will(if the cap is good) puke its coolant into the bottle. when it has finished puking, mark the bottle with a sharpie, and label it HOT-minimum.Then fill the bottle to within 2 to 3 inches of the top, and mark the liquid line "HOT MAX". URdone.When the engine cools off it will(if the cap is good) suck the coolant back into the rad.
If your rad does not have a nipple on the filler-neck, then you're screwed. lol. No no, you're not. You just cant run a vented bottle. You will have to run an expansion tank. Oh wait you already have one, in the top 1inch of your factory rad.
So then you will need to find a pressure vessel,capable of withstanding the coolant temp for extended periods of time, and capable of withstanding whatever pressure your cap is rated to, plus a safety factor of 2 or 3.So if you're planning on a 13 psi cap, you will need 13 x 3 =39 psi rated vessel.
This vessel will be plumbed a little differently. It will now be an expansion tank. It will need to be located somewhere under the hood as high as possible.Its cap will need to be a little higher than the top of the rad-tank.Then from the bottom of the tank you will run a hose just about anywhere into the cooling system, trying to keep the Tee-in place below the bottom of the tank.After that its same as before; fill the rad to the top, put a few ounces in the vessel and mark it"COLD MINIMUM" ,leave the cap off, start her up, get her hot. When the coolant level stops rising in the vessel,fill it up to about 2 cups short of full,make a line at the liquid level,mark the line "HOT FULL",and replace the cap.URdone.
NEVER open that cap unless the coolant is cold.
If you cannot mount it that high, all is not lost. Mount it wherever you can ,on temporary mounts. Remove it to a higher location until it is filled, as previously described. Tighten the cap, and remount it. Now, never remove that cap as before, but also do not remove the cap, while said cap is below the top of the rad. Why? Guess...... Thats right; water always flows downhill.
Okay, so good luck

Last edited:
A small rubber hose runs from the radiator fill port to the over-flow. Inside the overflow, it goes to the bottom so that liquid can be "siphoned" out, to flow back to the radiator when it cools.

You can get a plastic bottle for a Dart in the junkyard, though many will be brittle. You can buy a new plastic bottle at most auto parts, or a purty aluminum overflow on ebay for about the same price.

The simple answer:

I LIKE coolant recovery. Once the system "equalizes" it prevents air from constantly being ejected / sucked into the system as it cools and heats, and helps prevent rust and corrosion. Plus if you have a large enough "bottle" it can give you some headroom with coolant

Just buy a coolant recovery cap, install a container of your choice, with a hose either coming out the bottom, or entering the top and EXTENDING to the bottom.

Auto parts stpre sells a super cheap blow molded recovery tank with a coil of tube and a cap for like $6. Just screw it to your forewall/fender amd run tube out bottom to spud on filler neck. When coolant blows cap rating, it shoots put tube into vented recovery tank, when it cools and contracts, itll pull coolant back into radiator. I dont know how it makes its way back in when the cap is spring loaded closed but it seems to.

another point. they claim the rad should only be filled to cover the core, do not just fill up the top tank, otherwise you will lose that extra coolant every time!
and a real heat detecting device is needed to measure its t emp, the gauge may very well not be accurate.

another point. they claim the rad should only be filled to cover the core, do not just fill up the top tank, otherwise you will lose that extra coolant every time!

IIRC, factory Coolant Recovery Systems started appearing on Mopars in the early 70's. If you live in a hot area of Utah and are concerned, I would adapt something like that. Don't forget it uses a different radiator cap. Instead of the excess coolant blowing out the overflow hose onto the ground, it gets stored in the tank. Then when the car is off and everything cools down it gets sucked back into the radiator. The coolant in the radiator stays topped off with a reserve in the plastic tank.

IIRC, factory Coolant Recovery Systems started appearing on Mopars in the early 70's. If you live in a hot area of Utah and are concerned, I would adapt something like that. Don't forget it uses a different radiator cap. Instead of the excess coolant blowing out the overflow hose onto the ground, it gets stored in the tank. Then when the car is off and everything cools down it gets sucked back into the radiator. The coolant in the radiator stays topped off with a reserve in the plastic tank.

Agree 100%. Also check to see if you're running lean or not as well, a really lean burning engine will generate a lot of heat.

Hello again! You have my number if you want any ideas for a reservoir.

Dorman 603-001
About $8

66b07364-e6d5-405b-b614-dc8fd5118429_1.25fd1c45546a776f115f70f125088d54.jpeg

Last edited:
Small plastic hex shaped recovery bottle from Advance works perfectly on my 67 273. Its fill level markings correspond to the displacement I have w/22" radiator.

On another note, one cause of overheating on a slant is too much vacuum advance at cruise. If your total timing is exceeding 45 degrees at part throttle cruise (maybe less on non EGR applications) you can have heating issues.

Yup, that's the one I bought about 25 years ago, nothing changed except I got a metal cap. Later on in its life it became the oil tank for a oil injector moped after the original dual reservoir fuel tank rusted though and mixed 2 stroke oil and gas at about 2:1 gas ratio. That baby smoked something awful. ...

Last edited:
An optional coolant recovery tank was available for the 225 in 73. Part no 3673835; cap 3574152; bracket 3673872. I was able to score a complete assembly from a from a bodies only member on classifieds.

1994 to 2001 dodge ram overflow bottle looks like it would work for an A body application and look stock.

CH3014105__ra_p.jpg

And another one that could work. 1997 up jeep wrangler. And a universal bracket that fits this tank from summit racing.

shopping-1.jpg

shopping-2.jpg

The type of radiator you have dictates whether or not an overflow bottle is necessary.
Earlier rads used a very large upper tank. These are only supposed to be filled to the top of the tubes, and the extra space is for expansion. You wouldn't use an overflow on one of these unless running it at the track or other situation that called for a catch can.
Later rads, 73 up used a smaller tank that is supposed to be filled all the way, and these use a recovery bottle.
That bottle is actually an active part of the cooling system that transfers water back and forth as the engine runs through heating and cooling cycles.
On a 73-up A Body, it mounts on the passenger side if the core support.

The type of radiator you have dictates whether or not an overflow bottle is necessary. Earlier rads used a very large upper tank. These are only supposed to be filled to the top of the tubes, and the extra space is for expansion. Later rads, 73 up used a smaller tank that is supposed to be filled all the way, and these use a recovery bottle.

No, sir. In terms of capacity, the earlier round-top tanks aren't so much bigger as they look than the later square-top tanks. And many, many cars left the factory deliberately equipped with small square-top tanks and no recovery tank. The switch from round-top to square-top tanks was made because the radiators were easier and cheaper to make (and make leak-free) with the square-top tank design.

No matter what shape the radiator tank is, if you don't have a recovery tank, you have two choices: either you stop filling the rad when the fluid level's about an inch and a half below the neck, or the radiator will correct itself to that level once the engine's reached operating temperature a few times, with the overage hitting the ground via the overflow tube. And if you do have a recovery system, either you fill the rad right up to the neck or—assuming there's fluid in the recovery tank—the radiator will correct itself to that level once the engine's cooled down from operating temperature a few times, and you'll find the level lowered in the recovery tank.

Refer to the link in post № 13 of this thread.

-
Back