Advantages of a stroker for daily driver

-
the 408 will make more torque at the lower rpms......

I don't men advantages in HP & TQ I mean like gas mileage and durability
Probably a 3.73 rear gear
10.1 compression
and about a .507 lift cam
650 holly carb
stock/ported heads

cool factor is a plus. :D you will probably get the same mileage if the 360 is stock, due to higher comp ratio, once the engine is broken in. more fun, and you can be proud of your work.

Would there be any advantages to running a built 408 stroker other then just a built 360 for a daily driver.
None what so ever except superior Torque.

I don't men advantages in HP & TQ I mean like gas mileage and durability
Probably a 3.73 rear gear
10.1 compression
and about a .507 lift cam
650 holly carb
stock/ported heads

HP and Torque can equal gas mileage or lack there off. They work hand in hand.
The stroker is a loooooser on mileage and durabilty. So is a 3.73 gear behind it.

It is hard to build for both, mileage and power.

I think if you "need" a stroker for the daily, you are in the wrong lane of the freeway

Hell, if ya want mileage, get a 318

None what so ever except superior Torque.

HP and Torque can equal gas mileage or lack there off. They work hand in hand.
The stroker is a loooooser on mileage and durabilty. So is a 3.73 gear behind it.

It is hard to build for both, mileage and power.

So why is a stroker a looser when it comes to durabilty?
I know of a 408 that went 80000 miles before it needed freshing.

As far as mileage goes, my 69 Dart with a W2 headed 408 and a small solid roller and Holley 950 ultra HP is not that bad on fuel as long as I keep the RPMs no higher than 2600 at a cruise.

I drove from Glendale Az to Kingman Az with 3.23 in the car running 65MPH, ok one time I passed a semi going 100MPH.
I think the trip is around 140 miles and it is all up hill and I used 12 gallons of fuel.

I run 3.73s in the car around town and at the track.

Attachments

• IMG_1882.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,037
Definate advantage when the Rustang pulls along side.
Oh so true!!!!!!!!! :prayer:
So why is a stroker a looser when it comes to durabilty?
I know of a 408 that went 80000 miles before it needed freshing.
Your joking right? If not, your a joker. I do 80,000 in less than 4 years. Why would I want that headache.
THPHHHHHHHHH!!!

As far as mileage goes, my 69 Dart with a W2 headed 408 and a small solid roller and Holley 950 ultra HP is not that bad on fuel as long as I keep the RPMs no higher than 2600 at a cruise.
Big deal, the problem is you left out the gas gobbling items.
Gears, tire height, stall converter, which comes in and tightens up at or locks up at, cam size.
What a joke.

I drove from Glendale Az to Kingman Az with 3.23 in the car running 65MPH, ok one time I passed a semi going 100MPH.
I think the trip is around 140 miles and it is all up hill and I used 12 gallons of fuel.
And your proud of 11.6 MPG's? Ha ha ha ha ha ha
I run 3.73s in the car around town and at the track
Awe, didn't step up to the plateyet huh? That is ok, we'll wait......Ha ha ha ha ha A confused car this is.

Considering the extra side wall loading and increased stress of the enigne, itis a loooooser.

Your done......

Duster kid, you can run in the 12's without ported heads with thatset up, this is just a FWIW mention. Run a Air-Gap or MP, M1 single plane and a good converter. Set up your suspension well.

Duster kid, you can run in the 12's without ported heads with thatset up, this is just a FWIW mention. Run a Air-Gap or MP, M1 single plane and a good converter. Set up your suspension well.

Your Jealous my friend.
If you put 80000 miles on something it must be your bicycle.

Your Jealous my friend.
If you put 80000 miles on something it must be your bicycle.

Retarded comment. Trying to make my ignore list. :cheers:

Salty Dog & DarrylsDart, you two want to bicker suggest you don't do it on the forum......

no bickering here. Though I do feel like he is starting in with me with the last reply. I mean seriously, look at that comment.

Did ya read his B.S. up top to boot? Come on now. Who's the joker? Not be bud. I drove a car to multi locations for a living. Mile R'us thank you very much. And this guy doesn't think I'm being honest from the get go. (Mind you I never delt with him before tonight) and runs a bike comment passed me.

I think you ought to be chasin him down. Not mentioning me.:mumum:

I make almost 20,000 a year in miles. And it ain't on my bicycle or motor cycle.
Why would you think that is a lot of miles?

I think you ought to be chasin him down. Not mentioning me.:mumum:
Chasing you down?? Really?? Far from it. In case you did not notice I DID mention him in my comment. You obviously have a different opinion then him, you said you peace in regards to what he said now move on.....

Considering your driving in and out of New York City a few days a week, I find it shocking you don't rack up more miles.

The old '03 Sportster got 50 mpg's, and saved the odometer miles from racking up.

Personally I prefer the higher torque of a stroker in a daily driver combined with taller gears (3.23's for example) so the engine isn't screamin down the hwy. Piston speed and side wall loading is higher on a stroker so naturally it's not going to last as long as a short stroke engine but if you run taller gears the lower rpm's down the hwy. can balance out against the 360 and it'll last a nice long life. If you will be putting a lot of miles on it stay with the 360 but if you don't put many miles on it a stroker will do you good. As far as fuel mileage it's all in the combination. I recently took out a mild 360 and put a mild stroker in my Cuda and noticed no change at all in fuel mileage and the stroker isn't even broke in but the best part is the 360 had to have 93 octane to keep it happy but the stroker I built runs fine with no spark knock on 87 octane so in the long run it's a lot cheaper to operate. Plus the power is a lot better.

So lets see here a 400 SB chevy has a rod ratio of 1.46 and a 454 chevys rod ratio is 1.54 and both of them will made it to 80000 miles back in the day, but a SB mopar with a rod ratio of 1.57 will in your opinion will not.
Please explain why?

But most people will never put 80,000 miles on a muscle car.

Hell, most won't put 8000 on a muscle car,....regardless, a properly built "street" motor should only need to be gone over when it starts losing gaskets and seals, usually cause its not driven enough. Stay with the 318 or another "LA" motor for a daily driver.

-
Back