After market steering columns

-

USCG CHARGER

Reaction score
I am about to put in my aftermarket Rack and pinion and was curious to see what you guys were doing for you steering column. Any nice after market pieces or just stock columns?

I use an ididit column in my 67 cuda flaming river also make a column they are expensive. but i also modified a column to work in my a body.

I use an ididit column in my 67 cuda flaming river also make a column they are expensive. but i also modified a column to work in my a body.

what did you do to modify the column to fit your Abody using rack and pinion? do you have any pics of any of these columns?

Ididit column, looks way better than the stock column.

Attachments

• DSC01098.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 473
  • DSC01099.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 468
  • SANY1548.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 479
What part number is that? do you have any pics of it in the engine compartment? I'm sure you had to fab something up to keep it inplace through the firewall?

I have a Flaming River column in mine. They also have a billet bracket which works well on the A-bodies. The Flaming River column looks very similar to the Ididit.

I have a Flaming River column in mine. They also have a billet bracket which works well on the A-bodies. The Flaming River column looks very similar to the Ididit.

Do you happen to have pics of the engine bay?

When it comes to aftermarket columns, just remember they don't lock like the originals, and i don't think they are collapsible. I also love my little key light on the OE floor shift column - you'll have to do without that too.

Well I need the room for my twin turbos and any little room I can get the better off I am.

isn't the ididit one that comes with that crappy looking fork lift style key. and where the key is on the column is plain goofy looking...

though this new option is cool..

ChromeNEWPushButton.jpg

i saw the flaming river one at carlisle and wanted that one for my dart. never did buy it. looks a lot like a gm column and comes with a chrysler type of key. the bracket they sell for a mopar doesn't fit properly from what i hear..

An aftermarket column can give you more room, as far as the part number I am not sure off the top of my bald head. It's universal 32" column though from Ididit using their billet firewall mount

Pic from awhile ago

Attachments

• 4-14-09 demon plumbing 002.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 458
An aftermarket column can give you more room, as far as the part number I am not sure off the top of my bald head. It's universal 32" column though from Ididit using their billet firewall mount

Pic from awhile ago

Tell me more about that swivel ball style fire wall adapter?

Where are the ididit prices? I really like your set up.. looks very clean.

Summit racing, jegs etc........lots of vendors carry them

The one Bill at RMS sells for his Alterkation front end is a Flaming River FR20005, it's 30" long. It should also work with a stock box, you just need to make a small plate where it passes through the fire wall.

Tomorrow when I'm at the shop i'm going to see how much space this actually saves vs the stock column.. I know you prolly won't ever see it with the fabbed headers and turbos in place.

Where the heck are you planning on fitting your turbos??? Going to be tight anywhere.....especially if your planning on puttting them down low

Where the heck are you planning on fitting your turbos??? Going to be tight anywhere.....especially if your planning on puttting them down low

up top like how mad dart has his...

I bought one a few years back from xvmotorsports:
http://www.xvmotorsports.com/products/detail/index.cfm?nPID=205&cid=104&cdesc=Steering Columns
I don't remember it being as expensive as they have it listed now, because I wouldn't pay $450 for it. They advertise it as direct fit, but the one they sent me was made incorrectly and they told me to modify it to fit. It's just an iditit column with two bolting bosses welded on where you bolt it to the support and two tabs at the bottom to keep it from sliding through the lower support. I still have it in a box in the garage. If I had known then that I was going to get as far into mine as I have I would have done it like rjsea is doing. His looks really good.
-Jon

I got mine off E Bay from Welder Joes for $192.00 chrome plated with all the billet levers included, only down side is its a column shift and I didn't really want chrome .....ididit wants $660.00 + for the same thing if you search "A body steering column", there on there from time to time. guys sre asking $300+ for rebuilt factory units so this seemed like a logical choice. disregard the box and k frame, thats all going away.

Attachments

• duster 018.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 371
  • duster 016.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 385
  • duster 009.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 389
  • duster 002.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 397
  • duster 003.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 392
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to revive it instead of starting a new thread. Is there an aftermarket steering column that can be used with the stock firewall? What length are you guys using?

Call MPR 810-798-8998
Aluminum lightweight intended use 68 Hemi shootout cars. Looks like a very
bare bones quality column that bolts right in. If you want all the bells and whistles
this is likely not what you want.

The owner of MPR racing is Mike. He builds class legal SS/AA chassis.

-
Back