Air shocks..why?

-
Haven't I seen this guy on Bob's Burgers???

Attachments

• DadsSatelliteCropFlip (Medium).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 316
Not directed towards you at all, I seen the thread and I run air shocks on my 66 Valiant sedan, and keep 55 lbs in them, when I pump them up to 100
it stands way up :D I am looking forward to getting new springs on :cheers:
The springs will help body roll (being farther out/wider location) and the air shocks are WAY inboard and don't help much for body roll.
I will be going stock 66 v8 Barracuda springs to keep it close to a good level ride and add a front sway bar. I did not mean to make it look like I was telling you what to do, it's a must do for me :cheers:

for example :glasses7: before and after air shocks on my old 47 year old springs

Mike...Re: the body roll...you can help this by installing 2 independent air valves...one for each side/air line...that way the air doesn't migrate side-to-side during cornering.

Really, air shocks (or SS springs) aren't designed to control body roll...sway bars are.

A lot of people use them,to band aid worn leaf springs.

This! My car had air shocks that gave out on it when I bought it and you can see the car rides lower than stock (which I kinda like :D ) but they will be switched out with Hotchkis RCD's next month. :finga:

IMAG0761.jpg

Another 'benefit' to air shocks is that the mounting stud up top isn't made for that type of stress load, so it can easily crack/pull-out/rip apart that brace. Air shocks were before my time, but a friend with a frame/alignment shop showed me on my old '68 GT (which didn't have them) why you should never put them in.

Mike...Re: the body roll...you can help this by installing 2 independent air valves...one for each side/air line...that way the air doesn't migrate side-to-side during cornering.

Really, air shocks (or SS springs) aren't designed to control body roll...sway bars are.

Thank you for this info, I do have them T together, and yes, sway bars
are made for body roll :glasses7:

Sorry mike I must of read it wrong. Since someone laughed at what you said I thought u were making a joke. (As if I was too lazy to replace springs and instead installed air shocks as a quick fix.) my bad. Lol
On another note how much air pressure is supposto be in the shocks. And also if I install my SS springs, how do guys stop the rear end from sitting up so high Sorry if these are stupid questions

If your going Ito do the spring relocation on your car then you will at that time drill four places in the spring boxes . And will have adjustability rite there I have the ss springs on my duster there in the lower holes in the boxes now but can change to to upper holes to lower the car I'm using competition engineering 3 way adjustable shocks

View attachment image-1809110000.jpg

View attachment image-2106108109.jpg

View attachment image-72347644.jpg

View attachment image-3192058061.jpg

Another 'benefit' to air shocks is that the mounting stud up top isn't made for that type of stress load, so it can easily crack/pull-out/rip apart that brace. .
bullshit. if you are trying use them on a rusted out hulk with three deer carcasses in the trunk playing dukes of hazzard then yes.

i have ran them for decades and have never once bent, broke, or cracked anything.

I am mainly talking/typing :D Ride quality :cheers: thus why I want new springs, not lazy just need 227 dolors to get them to me and then I will need help getting them on.
And when the 66 V8 Barracuda springs are in place I will get me a good shock absorber
under her, I agree, I have never had a car so bad where the air shocks busted the body out and and ran air shocks on many of my A, E and B bodies .. Never a problem in 37 years doing it.

Another 'benefit' to air shocks is that the mounting stud up top isn't made for that type of stress load, so it can easily crack/pull-out/rip apart that brace. Air shocks were before my time, but a friend with a frame/alignment shop showed me on my old '68 GT (which didn't have them) why you should never put them in.

See...this is what I mean...the old arguments of broken shock mounts/rough ride, blah, blah, just keep coming out again and again, even though its truly BS!! (I'll agree if you have some POS rustbucket that should probably not be on the road anyway, OK, don't use 'em. If the upper mounts are rusted that bad, you better look real close at the rest of it)

Oh Mann,.. I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before..

Back in the day, air shocks were the perfect answer to a week-end warrior at the strip..

Air shock with dual inlets allowed you to pre-load the rear end.

you'd put about 15 - 20 lbs more air in the right shock (like super stock springs)(adjust tire pressures to get and even patch of rubber off both tires ( too low -burns the outsides, too hard, they show more center) .. adjust the pinion snubber,, you got it all.. no tire spin, and the left front wheel off the ground.. beauty..

You'd have to play with the pressures, = for your own car..

then lower the pressure for street use, ( if nec,.) ( and raise the pressures if you had fat friends, lol, or camping gear in the back.. lol)...

And Rock Auto has them for about $55... http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=61769&cc=1495035

Have a set of Gabriel Hi-Jackers on mine. Just run enough air in them, to keep the car leveled out. Mine rides just fine. Sure, run too much air, and they will ride rough.

Have a set of Gabriel Hi-Jackers on mine. Just run enough air in them, to keep the car leveled out. Mine rides just fine. Sure, run too much air, and they will ride rough.

Times 2 , same here Hi-Jackers for 3 years and on Arkansas gravel roads, hec even the paved roads here are ruff :glasses7:

Oh Mann,.. I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before..

Back in the day, air shocks were the perfect answer to a week-end warrior at the strip..

Air shock with dual inlets allowed you to pre-load the rear end.

you'd put about 15 - 20 lbs more air in the right shock (like super stock springs)(adjust tire pressures to get and even patch of rubber off both tires ( too low -burns the outsides, too hard, they show more center) .. adjust the pinion snubber,, you got it all..

then lower the pressure for street use, ( if nec,.)

Sounds good, I like the way you are thinking, I usually run a few lbs lower just on my right side tire, but this sounds good :cheers:

I am also guilty of running air shocks, Gabriel Hi Jackers, on my '65 Barracuda and I still love them. They were just cool when I grew up and I will never change my mind. The look of those white shocks under the rear of a jacked up hot rod is just too cool!

I use them with the Cal Custom shock extensions shown by 65Val. You can at least see the extensions here which I had chrome plated.

I typically run 40 psi to keep the car off the tires (tire insurance) and have never deformed or had a problem with the upper shock mounts. I run them with Super Stock 002/003 springs. While I ran on the street, I drag race with these as well with a 60 ft best of 1.46. I don't think they are all bad.

Attachments

• scan0005.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 255
For towing boats. Doesn't everybody tow boats with their mopar? I do, ram 2500.

Thanks "is best" I've seen guys do that already I will for sure do the same. How far apart did you drill your holes from one another

Thanks "is best" I've seen guys do that already I will for sure do the same. How far apart did you drill your holes from one another

There about 2 inch apart I did it that way so that the spring eye does not hit the top wile in top hole and don't stick out the bottom wile in lower hole . And the other answer to your question . Is I don't thank it will hurt anything to run the air shocks on that setup . It will give you even more adjustability . I would even go as far as stated befor in one of the other post and run separate lines to each of the shocks so that you could set one side harder are softer far racing are cruzing

Just watched a documentary named Cocaine Cowboys. One of the drug runners said they used air shocks to level cars loaded with drugs so the police wouldnt see them sagging under the weight.

-
Back