Alum headed 408 running hot come in....

-

bignasty123

Reaction score
I went with champion radiator, duel ele fans, still ran hot took thermostat out now if it still gets hot wtf do I do know its a drag car. Maybe ele water pump?

Timing is at 36 degrees motor is fresh from Dougans in SoCal. Any ideas would be cool I had a 180 tstat before .just thro me a bone plz

Dougans does nice work.What stat ,temp & brand in there now? Is this,on inital engine break in? You run,an electric water pump? The engine needs a restriction in the cooling system,to cool. (T-stat..). You ,yank it completely: Water passes too quickly through the radiator. The water needs timecin the radiator,too cool it off. A quick check here: Cut the inner guts ,out of the old stat,re -install it. That gives you, the restr:ction needed .

I had a 180 t stat in there cheap china sh#t. So just gut it and run that. It's just a recent thing the running hot

Went to barona ran hot with old set up,

Did test hits in my town......lol got hot again with new alum rad., ele fans....and 180 tstat....so I took it out completely because I want to see how it does like that and if its still hot will a ele water pump help?....I'm just lost never had any hot issues like this.

Done the 408 gig before.B.N.Stock water pump,eddy heads,& 9:8 to 1 actual compression. Stock 3 core read& water pump cooled it perfectly. (With twin cooling fans/o.e. ford contour fan assembly.). How about some pictures,when you get a chance?

Engine bay

Attachments

• 20140228_232618.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 453
Shroud wouldnt fit with my march pulleys, or would there be a better option fan, cheap. ...lol and low profile

My 410 SBM runs at 170- 185* no thermostat and straight water. Aluminum Radiator , mechanical Viscious Fan & No Shroud with Iron heads. I live pretty close to you so it should be a good comparison. My initial timing is 24* and 34* all in, no vac advance. Sounds to me like it may be running fat and that could be part of the problem, does it smell like raw fuel?check your plugs. They may be on the way out.

Maybe u can swing by and help me sort it out...lol...all the fine tuning stuff im not real good at.i can work on cars but im young and all the tricks im still learning. Im always willing to learn if ur up to it.menifee is like 7 miles from murrieta im off Newport rd in menifee

Plugs are fresh, and they look fine light brown....when I changed them I run a colder plug. Autolite copper plugs

Maybe u can swing by and help me sort it out...lol...all the fine tuning stuff im not real good at.i can work on cars but im young and all the tricks im still learning. Im always willing to learn if ur up to it.menifee is like 7 miles from murrieta im off Newport rd in menifee

I will be in my shop from 7am tomorrow until 10 pm or so. It's most likely going to rain tomorrow. If it don't rain bring it by and we will see if we can figure it out.
If not we can shoot for another day.

Is your timing locked out @ 36* or do you run initial? If you do run initial timing what is it?

Well that's cool its gonna rain, we will shoot for another day, and that f . Er runs bot it will heat up driving to ur shop, if ur confortable u can swing by my house and give me tips. If not thays cool.ill just pm you when it clears up..ill try those plugs too . I run msd ign, with the silver counter weight. So it would he 24 degrees inital 36 total. I used a dial back timing light, hope it worked. My dad is the fine tuner of the family so im still a noob at the fine tuning aspect...lol...

What gap on the ngk plugs

Are you sure the fans are pulling, not pushing air? Are you sure the fan blades are in the correct orientation relative to push/pull?

If you mount the fans in front versus behind the radiator, th wiring will reverse polarity, and the fan blade has to be reversed.

Double check your top and bottom hoses that there not colasping under pressure, or rpms.

What fans are those ? poss not enough cfm. I have a aluminum 2 core rad 26in, a spal 16in fan, stk waterpump ,no thermo 13.5 comp with no problems.

Well that's cool its gonna rain, we will shoot for another day, and that f . Er runs bot it will heat up driving to ur shop, if ur confortable u can swing by my house and give me tips. If not thays cool.ill just pm you when it clears up..ill try those plugs too . I run msd ign, with the silver counter weight. So it would he 24 degrees inital 36 total. I used a dial back timing light, hope it worked. My dad is the fine tuner of the family so im still a noob at the fine tuning aspect...lol...

What gap on the ngk plugs

I gap my plugs @ .032. All these guys have some good ideas to check also.

Ill pm you my contact info.

Dougans is a very good Machine shop.The shop that i work at has all the work done there... maybe timing or the fans.....

Running hot it gets to 210 and climbs even at cruising, the fans push is that bad and they arecheap fans, 1200cfm each. Idk if that's enough. If they aren't recommend a fan that might help me out lol. ..thanks guys ur tbe best, what does it mean if the hoses collaspe, does that mean I need new hoses?

The fans need to be in front of the rad if they push. Behind it like yours they should pull.

Either will work just have to be on the right side. I think pull is better IMO.

If it's getting hot at cursing speed (40+ mph), it's not a fan issue. You don't need a fan at that speed. It could be an airflow issue if you actually had something blocking the radiator but I don't see that here.

-
Back