Am I justified in my frustration?

-
View attachment 1715746448 View attachment 1715746449 View attachment 1715746450 View attachment 1715746451

I bought what I was told was a GOOD “rebuildable core” 68-70 B-body 8.75 from a member here.
I was at a swap meet and was neighbors with the Chrysler Performance West member’s space ( not an official CPW Club space). I spied an 8.75 rear over there and asked what it was and was told it was a good rebuildable core out of a B-body for $350. CPW is a good club and I trust them.
Sounded great so I paid real quick but had to get back to a customer at my swap space. Throughout the course of the day when I was away they brought it over. I kind of ignored it until I went to load it in my car.
When I was loading it I noticed it was seized up. Pinion and axles don’t spin. Well, they were gone already and $350 is still a decent price if I can free it up, right?
I get it home and start working on it. I slide hammered the fvck out of the passenger axle and it’s not budging. The backing plate nuts were missing so someone’s already tried this and gave up I think.
I decided to fill the rear up with WD40. Looking at the pinion gears from the fill hole reveals very rusty gear lands. I was able to get the driver’s side axle out but the pinion won’t spin and the passenger axle is still stuck as it ever was.
This is where it gets very frustrating. I go to dump the WD40 out of the drivers side axle tube and out comes a slurry of WD40 and seeds and acorns!
I have been in touch with the seller and he says the guy he got it from had the axle out and he put one back in. Ok, how long was the axle out to get that rusty and full of mouse food? Which axle was taken off? I bet it was the one that came off easily. The passenger axle and gears were exposed to the elements for how long? All questions the member won’t answer.
I know the definition of a core but this is ridiculous. I’ve used heat, penetrating fluid, and been slide hammering this thing for days. Pinion and axle still stuck. I loosened the third member to try to create some play. I even pulled against this axle, very briefly, with a truck. I decided quickly that I didn’t want to warp the axle if I could get it free and abandoned that idea. I might go back to that idea if a couple more days of soaking in WD40 doesn’t work.

https://youtu.be/obDYhdqG0CA
https://youtube.com/shorts/phnY8A11yog?feature=share

No.
Frustration, Yes.
No to the being screwed.
You got what you ultimately paid for.
See my explanation above.

Bought two cars from "members" over the years. Sometimes it doesn't mean a thing. Buyer beware is Always the rule. Good luck, I'd try some PB blaster rather than WD40 myself.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^was thinking the same thing , that stuff will melt rust !

Having read this thread, just my 2 cents,,
If I had purchased that 8.75 sight unseen, because it was a good distance away and I was only going by the verbal description from the seller, I too would be complaining.
However, from what the OP said, he was in a booth next to the seller and even with the part in close proximity, did absolutely no inspection of the part over an entire day. If there is a fault it lies with the OP for putting other activities ahead of understanding what he was purchasing.
The seller returned a good portion of the selling price, and your action of buying the part early on the swap meet prevented him from selling it to someone else at the asking price. Just because you did not steal the part, you think you were taken. A 'serviceable' complete B Body 8.75 will sell for more than $350.00 and it sounds like that is what you though you had bought. It was your own lack of attention that got you where you are. It will take some work getting that rear assembly back on the road, but I think you did fine getting it for $250.00

Like the old cowboy dad told his young cowboy o..." just take your horse trade funkin' like a man, and move on."
Really, a core to one guy is not a core to another guy!
To me, a core means a rebuildable piece.

If I understand this correctly, and you had 5 hours between saying "I'll take it!" And going home...you are the only one to be frustrated

The seller sold you a rebuildable core (whether or not you have the skillset to rebuild this particular core is irrelevant)

At a price you agreed to, and the seller was an individual, not a store that offers warranties

Then somehow you contacted the seller and managed to get a refund you were not entitled to, in a way some might consider harrasing

After you got the refund, with the implications that this case was now closed, you went on here to get your pound of flesh

Now, this is the way these 4 pages read to me, so if I misread anything please correct me, but as it looks to me, right now you would be the person to avoid

I totally understand that I should have done a closer inspection. I’ve said that over and over again.

Where my frustration lies is in the fact that this rearend was obviously open to the elements for a very long time with an axle removed. The seller didn’t divulge that info until I emailed him saying this this was locked up and rusted tight.

The seller picked the rearend up, locked and not spinning, puts an axle in it and bills it as a rebuildable core. Yes, I trusted him that it was, in his words, a “good rebuildable core”, and that is my fault. Not trying to absolve myself of guilt on that.

The frustrating thing is that a guy sticks an axle in a locked up rusted rearend and says it’s good. How does he know? He never had that pinion spinning. He had no idea of the condition. On what grounds would he have to tell that the rearend was good. He didn’t have any evidence that it was yet he doesn’t tell the buyer anything about it previously sitting open for a substantial amount of time. No heads up on that. That’s the frustrating part.

As I said before, I might have bought it even if he told me that but wouldn’t have flipped out when I saw rat **** and acorns. When I dumped that out of the rearend is when I felt like this guy was shady and purposefully didn’t disclose the fact that this had been left open to rain and rats. When I bought it it would have been nice to get a “Here’s what I know about it.” seeing that it had THAT kind of history.

I just feel like he intentionally left that info out upon making the sale.

If I had found a rear laying out, axle out for obviously a long time, and put an axle in it, I guess I would have told the buyer “Here’s what I know about it.” not “It’s a good rebuildable core.”

Seems like people don’t want to be up front and forth rite these days. It’s all about them and screw the other guy over to make a quick buck.

After you got the refund, with the implications that this case was now closed, you went on here to get your pound of flesh
I never came on here to out this guy and drag his name through the mud. Right before he posted I had just finished typing that I wasn’t going to tell oldkimmer who it was because it could likely be that this is just one bad deal and a bad judgement of the parts condition on his part. Then he joined the chat. I wasn’t coming for a pound of flesh. Until he joined the chat it was an anonymous member.
I started this thread when he was saying in emails that he wasn’t going to work with me on this at all. I got frustrated at that too so that’s when I started this thread.

It wasn’t till later in the day that he did offer to give me the $100 back on the $350 pile of rust and rat ****. In several emails previous to this threads creation he said he wasn’t going to work with me at all. I assumed he had seen or been told about this thread and gave the $100 as hush money.

I believe if I had not started this thread he would still be saying he wouldn’t help out. And remember, I never told him he was obligated to help out. I believed it would be the right thing to do given the misinformation but never said he owed me this or that.

Last edited:
I would say at 250 and all the bitching here the deal is done and if I was the seller it is now over. He didnt know how long it was open from his posting. He did say the pinion would not turn. You bought it in person and never looked at it. That is like looking at a car from 10 feet away buying it and then bitching because it had a bad trans or something.

I know that but from the beginning of this thread, while acknowledging caveat emptor, I was asking a question.

It begs the question, when buying a part should the seller disclose information they are aware of that is easily concealable?

He knew the history on the rear being open to the elements for a very long time. A rearend could be locked up for many reasons. Being locked up because caustic rat piss or if it had been rained inside of for years and the seller knowing it, yet concealing the fact, was very frustrating.

The court of public opinion is whom I was seeking answers to this question. I knew that not everyone was going to see it my way and I welcomed that or I wouldn’t have brought it up. I’m glad the seller saw the thread and at least gave me $100 to cover some of the headache, labor, and penetrating fluid.

I am willing to take everyone’s opinion and use it to move forward. I appreciate the input.

Anything you buy should be based on what yo can see and validate. This is what you base a buying price on. If it turns out it was more than you thought, your a winner. If not, you paid the right price.

Anything you buy should be based on what yo can see and validate. This is what you base a buying price on. If it turns out it was more than you thought, your a winner. If not, you paid the right price.

Again, it begs the question, is a seller responsible for validating a part IS good before claiming its good?

That was the impetus of this thread.

Rusted stuck or not, full of mouse **** or not, frustrating or not, what he sold you was a rebuildable core. At least judging by your pictures that’s what you got. I see no reason why this could not be rebuilt and used. To quantify the amount of time and skill involved in rebuilding is a mute point. So is the price, as that is between buyer and seller. But a $250 rebuildable 8-3/4 is what he sold you and exactly what you have. Hell at $350 that’s still a “market price” deal.

So if you buy something sight unseen and it turns out to be way better or more valuable than was originally represented do you go back to the seller and offer more money than you paid?

I saw this last night n now it's at 4 pages.
Superb job.

I would never buy something that rusty. Splash.
How would one claim something is a rebuildible core if they have not inspected to know. Splash

I'd just have given the money back if it looked like it was gonna turn into a thread on the internet.

At this point I find both at fault, case dismissed.

Again, it begs the question, is a seller responsible for validating a part IS good before claiming its good?

That was the impetus of this thread.
Read my post again. Apparently you didn’t the first time. That is your answer. What it is or isn’t in the end has nothing to do with it. You are buying what you can see. You will never be disappointed.

Well, Troy made the point to me that seals it when he made mention that any business would accept that rear end as a core, say, if they were replacing yours with a reman or some such and required a core. Since it doesn't appear to have anything stickin through it anywhere, parts stores would even accept it as a core. So he's right there.

We all have different ideas and opinions of "what's what". That's something to think about, too.

I can tell u that if that was a diff I got in a deal i sure would of inspected it and never would of sold it in the shape it was in. I would of taken it all apart. Gave it my assessment. Life is too short to be in a battle over a few hundred bucks. Kim

I can tell u that if that was a diff I got in a deal i sure would of inspected it and never would of sold it in the shape it was in. I would of taken it all apart. Gave it my assessment. Kim

That’s the camp I’m in. It’s a lonely one.
Guy had no clue as to whether this was actually a good rebuildable core. He knew it’s questionable history but omitted that at the point of sale.

The other camp seems to blame the buyer. I accept that I should have done due diligence but it’s amazing that some think it’s ok to sell questionable **** and as long as the buyer doesn’t catch it, well, ****’em.

That’s the camp I’m in. It’s a lonely one.
Guy had no clue as to whether this was actually a good rebuildable core. He knew it’s questionable history but omitted that at the point of sale.

The other camp seems to blame the buyer. I accept that I should have done due diligence but it’s amazing that some think it’s ok to sell questionable **** and as long as the buyer doesn’t catch it, well, ****’em.
The other camp actually says it was a face to face sale and he did not try to scam you as you are implying.

giphy.gif

-
Back