...And so it begins....

-

74PlymouthDuster

Reaction score
So I been REALLY slow to get pictures posted due to work and time restraints with other obligations. The car is a 74 Duster. Original slant six, horrible green color, automatic, bottom of the barrel options.

I wanted the car because it was the same year as my dad's first car as a kid. Made it a little more interesting to me! This project will be slow moving as I am also just now picking up a 74 Dodge Dart and summer time means BUSY BUSY at work, not to mention the lady friend wants any of the spare time I have (She doesn't see the beauty in the car :dontknow:)

Lil bit about me, I am 23, from Wichita, KS, Work full time and have a passion for old Mopars in my spare time. This will be my first true ground up restoration so I will probably be searching hi and low for how to threads.

Without further ado some pictures of when I towed it home the other week! (It's a lil rough looking :sad7:)

Pics!!

P7040962.jpg

P7040963.jpg

P7040961.jpg

P7040964.jpg

Last night I started some tear down, was up till 2 am ripping out the interior. Didn't get to far cause I had a couple guests over and another car that needed fixed a lil sooner then my duster needed it's teardown lol

SEATS OUT! Well front anyways.

P7070993.jpg

Glad to see you're saving a cool green Duster, or it might have slowly become part of the landscape. Nice way to honor your Dad. Good luck with your progress!

It was buried deep ino the ground! Took us two hours to winch it out (Forgot my come along so had to wait for one). Coming off the trailer tho was a breeze! lol

Looks like a great project. Now you just gotta get those guests to pick up a wrench next time :)

Grant

I agree! There was 4 of em here. The girl in the background of the one picture needed some work done on her daily driver so it took priority of my tear down :/

Hopefully I can get outside later and get the back seat out and the carpet.

It's hard for me to understand how someone would let a car get eat by the earth like that. I mean any car much less a 74 Duster!!

Congrats!!

You're a good man to be that excited about your project. Best of luck. Keep us posted.

I am beyond excited! My roommate hasn't heard me shut up since it's been home. Well worth the 2 hours of digging, pulling, and tugging to get it out of the ground. The best part of the whole thing was seeing my dad's eyes light up. He's always wanted another Duster but he always worked 80+ hour weeks to give us kids everything we wanted and never had the time. Now that we're all grown he is working 80+ hour weeks to give my stepmom her dream home and retirement lol.

It'll be awesome to get a lil of his time and wrench away on it.

The guy I got it from got it from his grandmother (original owner) and when she passed away she gave it to him. He learned to drive in this car! He wanted to give it to his soon to restore since it held sentimental value, I meet his son and he wants nothing to do with the car, so he gave it to me in promise of showing him the car when it's done. The car sat tho because his wife didn't like it and it needs minor work, he never got the time and is getting older. Slowly the earth just rose above this thing lol

Cool find !
Neat story behind this , too .

Are you planning a close-to-100%-stock resto , or are you going to modify it ?

I am still undecided. It's just a simple slant six but it's all original and matching and I am the 3rd owner. So with all that said I kinda want to keep it close to original. If I modify it, it won't be to crazy it'll all be stuff that's easily reversible I think. I do like the idea of the cliche muscle car with the sweet throaty rumble

I am out of town tho so the project is on hold for now :(.

-
Back