Another expensive lesson, fried my ac compressor

-

Reaction score
I pulled my motor last fall, instead of taking the compressor off and depressurizing the system I tied it off to the side. I get my motor back in, try my ac and the compressor is seized. Apparently the way I hung it caused the oil to leak. Can someone help me out here, do I need a new compressor? Can I rebuild it ?

AC is my weakest point in cars so my advice is not worth that much. If it turned and then it galled up internally, it is gone. If it is just frozen, then maybe there is a chance to dissasemble it and free things up. Sandens are so cheap, I'd get another. There are rebuild kits for some of them.

If it did gall, then the system is full of metallic crud and has to be flushed 1000% to get it all out or it will destroy the new or rebuilt unit.

Like I said, this is my weak area of knowledge.....

I pulled my motor last fall, instead of taking the compressor off and depressurizing the system I tied it off to the side. I get my motor back in, try my ac and the compressor is seized. Apparently the way I hung it caused the oil to leak. Can someone help me out here, do I need a new compressor? Can I rebuild it ?

Hi,

That compressor is now essentially scrap metal. I would get a new one as it's not worth trying to rebuild that one.

You may now have bits of aluminum through out your A/C system so it will need to be carefully flushed out. The original serpentine condensers can be flushed , newer parallel flow types really can not be without special flushing equipment.

I would flush the system and replace the receiver/drier, flush the evaporator and replace the expansion valve. Having a compressor seize on an A/C system is a major pain. Any short cuts in the job and the new compressor will die a quick death.

Sounds like you left the hoses on and pressurized. If so, "should work". Have you tried turning the outer ring that turns the compressor? If you did leave it open and have R-134A w/ PAG oil, bad news. It sucks up moisture like glycol brake fluid does.

Sounds like you left the hoses on and pressurized. If so, "should work". Have you tried turning the outer ring that turns the compressor? If you did leave it open and have R-134A w/ PAG oil, bad news. It sucks up moisture like glycol brake fluid does.
You are correct, I left it hooked up and pressurized. Yes I did try turning the outer ring. Locked solid.

-
Back