Another terribly sad day at The Ricketts home....

-
I'm fighting tears as I type this. We had to put our gentle-giant to sleep this morning. Jake came to us about 10 1/2 years ago, from a racer's family. Judy McCormack rescued him at 4 years old. Judy died from cancer, and nobody in the family wanted him. Jack was gonna take him back to the pound. My wife and I, being Husky lovers and rescuers couldn't let that happen to him, again. We've loved Jake's company and silliness for 10 1/2 years. However, his life quality has taken a serious downward turn...and it's just not fair to be in his state. We'll miss him terribly, like all our other passed rescues. He was 50% physically larger than any of our females....and didn't have an aggressive bone in his body. Godspeed Handsome....

View attachment 1716092969

View attachment 1716092970

View attachment 1716092971

View attachment 1716092972

View attachment 1716092981
I’m very sad to hear the new of this great pups passing. As with all dogs, their time on earth is too short, but filled with 100% love for their people. I try my best to love every pup I meet, I really appreciate all dogs. I’ll say a prayer for peace and comfort in your hearts, and great memories of Jake for all eternity!

So sorry, thanks for giving Jake a good home & sharing Your lives, I'm certain it was appreciated!!

Sorry for your loss of your handsome buddy, I believe you will see him again someday

I am very, very sorry for your loss. What you said earlier is so true....no matter how many times you have to make the decision to let one go, it never gets any easier. Their little lives just aren't long enough, and I think (or like to) that the reason they love us so hard is that somehow they know their days are short compared to ours. I for one, can't wait to see all of the tails wagging near The Rainbow Bridge someday! Some may glance my way for a split second, then go right back to intently looking for the one they love......then from way in the distance, my little Prissy will see me and come running 90 mph! That will be a happy day, and take away the pain of that dreadful but just decision to let her go.

Jake will see you before you see him Mike, and it will be a happy day!

R.I.P. Jake, and if you see a little gold and white Shi Tzu named Prissy, tell her Dad says hi.

Man..... Sorry to hear it. He will live on in your hearts, memories and stories.

Yep. Sucked big time when we had to put our Golden down 6 years ago. We rescue-adopted Cheyenne at 1.5 yrs old and we had a very good 12 years with her. It felt like I was putting one of the kids down....

Fast-forward 6 years to this past January - We rescue-adopted Freya at the end of January, this year. She just turned 1 yr old on April 29 and we are her 3rd pack. For the life of me, I cannot see why the other 2 dumped her. She is a sweetheart, loves belly rubs from everyone, has no food aggressions, no other dog aggressions, and talks to us like Huskies do when she has to go out. We got a good one, for sure. I am teaching her "Mush!, Gee! and Haw!" when we trot up the driveway in the mornings.

View attachment 1716093028
Sure I don't need to tell you, Huskies are high energy, high maintenance, sometimes talk back to much & shed more hair than most.... At the same time they are beautiful, friendly & generally great pets if your will to put in the effort & time.... Many people don't make the time... They get a Husky cause Huskies are "Trending" they are all over Television & social media.. So they are the cool dog to have, till you find out they actually require work... Not as cool if you have to spent time & effort...

Coral & I have had Huskies dating back to the late 80's, we know how much work they are & Coral insisted when we lost Tok & Tia that we weren't gonna have anymore Huskies...

IMG_2046.jpg

Maybe something that doesn't shed, that doesn't need at least five miles of running every day... Then she saw a Husky puppy who needed a home... We adopted Tasha.....
Six months later another.... Meet Mishka...

IMG_4165.JPG

Those of us who've owned huskies know and accept the challenges... Lots of folks aren't willing to do the work...

Thank you all...so much. I thought I was getting stronger, you guys are making my heart have that ache again. It hurts...but it's a wonderous hurt. My allergies are fully kicked-in again.

I'm fighting tears as I type this. We had to put our gentle-giant to sleep this morning. Jake came to us about 10 1/2 years ago, from a racer's family. Judy McCormack rescued him at 4 years old. Judy died from cancer, and nobody in the family wanted him. Jack was gonna take him back to the pound. My wife and I, being Husky lovers and rescuers couldn't let that happen to him, again. We've loved Jake's company and silliness for 10 1/2 years. However, his life quality has taken a serious downward turn...and it's just not fair to be in his state. We'll miss him terribly, like all our other passed rescues. He was 50% physically larger than any of our females....and didn't have an aggressive bone in his body. Godspeed Handsome....

View attachment 1716092969

View attachment 1716092970

View attachment 1716092971

View attachment 1716092972

View attachment 1716092981

I saw this today and thought about you.

727E718E-E92F-4598-87CD-0187637FA76E.jpeg

Looks a lot like Roxanne, our 1st Husky who was with us for 15 years. Loosing her hurt so bad I said I wouldn't have another dog. Almost 2 years later wife and I ran across another Husky pup. A bit different. Taller, thinner, darker, love at first sight. Our Christmas present to each other. So that was Nikita who was also with us for 15 years.
I sold the chain link fencing and dog house on FB Marketplace. "I'm done" attitude.
Almost 2 years later, our granddaughter came around at Labor Day weekend with a pair of rescue pups. Yorkie cocker mix. My daughter took one and we took one. Yeah a little lap dog. Gracie will be 5 years old on the 29th this month. Not the hair making machine a Husky is, That's for sure.
If you were blessed with a good dog, on the flip side a dog was blessed with a good keeper.
There is always another waiting in the wings.
They serve as ultimate example of the love and devotion we should have for our God.
I do hope something here helps.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss Mike. I know you treated your dogs like children.

-
Back