Anti Sway Bar

-
Yes, but I noticed it says "tubular", so if that means hollow, then 1. that's pretty awesome for reduced weight and 2. it may change its characteristics as far as not being as rigid as the usual solid 1.25 bar.

I put a Hotchkis 1 1/2" swap bar on my 65 Dart, what a difference that made on the handling.

rumblefish360 - No our kit does not require any welding. The gold plated brackets that Brad426 is reinforcing and welding to his K-member are not our kit. Our kit uses laser cut and cnc formed brackets that are 3/16" thick. They are bolted on with grade 8 hardware and do not require welding.

389460209.jpg

I have been getting around to ordering sway bars for my duster for a while.

Dave's clear photo's, site sponser, and made in the USA sold me on the product.
This makes me alot more comfortable "IF" I have any problem on installing them.

Just 5 minutes ago ordered both front and rear bars off of Amazon for $291.00 shipped which is reasonable to me.

It is a tubular bar and it weighs 11lb. This is about 1/2 the weight of a 1-1/4" solid bar. It is about 10% softer than a solid bar but it is plenty of spring rate for an early A-body. Here are some pictures of the bar and its mounting. I may be a little biased but these are the best in the industry. The brackets are made from laser cut and CNC formed 3/16" steel.

389434891.jpg

384421538.jpg

389460209.jpg

Dave, could you answer a few questions not addressed on your website:

On rear bars;
Is 73-76 A body rear bar tubular?
Diameter and length of the lever arm? Effective rate?
What's the configuration? Body mounted like 70 E body or axle mounted like most other OEM and aftermarket bars.
Can you post pictures of a rear bar installed, especially how you handle the brackets, being as most of these cars (1976 Valliant cop car the exception) never had a rear bar to begin with?

Why is 1 1/8" the only size offered for the tubular front bar on 73-76 cars?
I intend to start out running my on hand Mopar Performance .920 torsion bars in conjunction with the longer late B body lower control arms and wanted to use a larger front bar to achieve about the same roll resistance as the 1 1/8" bar with 1.04 or 1.06 torsion bars.

Thanks

I have been getting around to ordering sway bars for my duster for a while.

Dave's clear photo's, site sponser, and made in the USA sold me on the product.
This makes me alot more comfortable "IF" I have any problem on installing them.

Just 5 minutes ago ordered both front and rear bars off of Amazon for $291.00 shipped which is reasonable to me.

sireland67 Which item number did you order or was it to separate items? Was it an early duster or later A?

Dave is there a bar for the rear as well for the Early A (65 Barracuda)?

jhdeval - p/n 6907 fits 63-76 Mopar A-Body. It is an adjustable 3/4" RSB that mounts to the axle and the end links are attached to the subframe.

389642075.jpg

394009697.jpg

twofosho - the rear bar is made from solid 4140 chrome moly steel and is adjustable in rate increments of approximately 10% I'll have to get back to you on rates as my calcs are at the office. 1-1/8" front bar is what works for the majority of vehicles. We can do a 1-1/4" bar on a special order basis. Anything larger than 1-1/4" doesn't fit well inside the k-member.

So far everything went well until the end. Like removing and inspection pannel from a Boeing 737 that has 100 machine screws. They all come out but, the very last one. Murphy's law...lol.:wack:
I've asked ADDCO about the alignment of the end link to aft end of the sway bar. Looks steep (excessive) to me as if the sway bar is short. What do you think? I'll post ADDCO's reply.......
Brad

Attachments

• DSC00001.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 389
  • DSC00002.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 408
  • DSC00003.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 394
  • DSC00004.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 386
  • DSC00005.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 424
For all of you out there singing the blues over a sloppy Addco Anti Sway bar, HERE is what I did a year after installing an Addco front bar on my 1967 Dart. Since modifying the mounting, another season of driving has gone by with no loosening of the sway bar, and handling was improved over the Addco attachment method.

So far everything went well until the end. Like removing and inspection pannel from a Boeing 737 that has 100 machine screws. They all come out but, the very last one. Murphy's law...lol.:wack:
I've asked ADDCO about the alignment of the end link to aft end of the sway bar. Looks steep (excessive) to me as if the sway bar is short. What do you think? I'll post ADDCO's reply.......
Brad

I'm not sure if that is mounted in the correct location. I used the Addco on a 64 Barracuda and mounted the sway bar on top of the control arm tabs not under like above. This is with 68-72 lower control arm tabs and 73 and up large bolt pattern disk brakes.

Attachments

• CIMG1888b.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 399
sireland67 Which item number did you order or was it to separate items? Was it an early duster or later A?

Dave is there a bar for the rear as well for the Early A (65 Barracuda)?

I just went to hellwig's web site and looked up the part numbers.
Did a google search and Amazon ended up being the cheapest.
There were two different part numbers one for the front and one for the rear. My car is a 73 duster.

When we designed our kit, our goal was to provide a kit that you can truly bolt on and feel good about it without any rework.

Hi, So your kit will bolt right in with just some drilling? I have a factory 1968 318 Fast Back Barracuda. Your kit will work fine? Thanks, Craig.

Brad

Yeah, when the phone don’t ring, you will know who it is…

Brad,

Spend a few more bucks, install the factory lookalike mount I have listed that bolts to factory mounting holes. Only two additional holes need to be drilled, and this mounting drops bar down and back, correcting that steep goofy attachment angle at lower control arm allowing link bushings better alignment. Best for last; this mounting won’t turn into a flopping mess in three thousand miles of driving, and rip its self out of the K member.

For those of you contemplating a new bar, spend a little more, and get a better engineered bar that has proper attachment and fit.

Craig Cox - P/N 55906 should bolt right on to your 68 Barracuda as the 67-72 A-Bodies have the holes in the K-member already. 55906 is a tubular 1-1/8" front sway bar that weighs about 8 lb.

Yeah, when the phone don’t ring, you will know who it is…

Brad,

Spend a few more bucks, install the factory lookalike mount I have listed that bolts to factory mounting holes. Only two additional holes need to be drilled, and this mounting drops bar down and back, correcting that steep goofy attachment angle at lower control arm allowing link bushings better alignment. Best for last; this mounting won’t turn into a flopping mess in three thousand miles of driving, and rip its self out of the K member.

For those of you contemplating a new bar, spend a little more, and get a better engineered bar that has proper attachment and fit.

:coffee2:
Thanks for the link and I like your modification for the Addco. Very well done and I may copy your design. Having said that. I'm a bit PO'd with all these companies claiming "bolt on" and then you have to go to the extremes of correcting a pis poor design or BS promises. All they want is your money and I feel they will tell you anything to get it. I have zero faith in "bolt on". I call it BOBS or "bolt on bull sh t". I found Edelbrok alum. BOBS unacceptable out of the box by any standard and spent an additional $350.00 having a machine shop clean them up & checked. On top of the $2,800.00 to buy bolt on heads.

Money is getting tight so having to modify ADDCO's BOBS is not acceptable. I'm playing telephone tag with ADDCO now and will keep you posted on what buddy has to say:

John Wright, Addco Manufacturing, Sales & Tech Advisor, 800-338-7015, Manufactured in the USA
ADDCO says, “Manufactured in the USA” must be the part of the USA where they do not have tape measurers and only employ the visual impaired…. LOL. China could better.

It's great that we have forums like this to learn we are not alone and maybe get the BOBS to clean up their act. I’m going through one with the highly praised Shumacher Creative Services now.

Look at the pictures of the driver’s side engine mount and can you see the problem. The aft upper mount hole is not located correctly. Manufacturing problem/Quality Control. In all honesty I received the kit with the car when I bought it but, it is a NIB Shumacher kit. I sent pictures the Mike there and he danced around the issue and never offered to do anything for a repeat customer like me. It was $69.95 plus $9.00 and WA state taxes to get a replacement. I just bought the torque strap kit from them and “WAS” going to order the firewall & wiper seal kits from them…..WAS. I though I was and that I am becoming a good customer.

Tale a read of the wrong advice I got from B&M’s tech support: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=169228

“That’s all I have to say about that”

Forest Gump

Attachments

• DSC00008.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 347
  • DSC00009.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 384
  • DSC00003.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 369
  • DSC00002.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 369
I got through to ADDCO's tech yesterday. The links are to have a 20 degree angle, so they say.

That may be true using their goofy one bolt angle iron high and out front mounting method. Now look at the rubber bushings at the link end of the bar, none of them fit square to the bar or attachment point on shock bolt. After a few thousand miles of driving all the mess starts to wear and loosen up including the two bolts attaching bar to K member.

All I can say is Addco’s mount sure hurt my eyes every time I looked at it until I reengineered the mounts. For about fifty more bucks in parts, and an hour or so farting around under the car, you can fix it.

I have Hellwig frt and rear bars on my 69 B'cuda. They are quality pieces!! Dave answered any questions I had before purchase. I had a couple questions on the rear bar install. When I called the phone rang twice and was answered by a person(imagine that)! I was transferred to a tech(again the phone was answered quickly) who knew exactly what i was working on and answered my questions quickly! Quality products with GREAT customer service! Anybody thinking of sway bars should spend the few extra bucks and buy the Hellwig!!:thumbup::thumbup:

If I could get my money back from Addco I'd buy one of Dave's and get some sleep. Here is a copy of the pics & notes I sent to Addco today.....

Hello John,
I have some info regarding the fitting to the 1969 Plymouth Valiant. The car was levelled and the front lower control were set to the factory alignment height. Anti-Sway bar installed as per instructions with the correct link spacing mocked up. I used the outer edge of the drag link as a datum and a chart on the floor with a plum bob. With the the vertical spacing of 2 1/2" between the bottom of the upper link mount bracket and the top of the anti-sway bar mount location. The horizontal distance between the between the upper & lower link bolt holes is 1 7/8" @ 53.13 degrees and a distance of about 3.13". That's excessive and out side the 20 dgree you mentioned

You mentioned on the phone that it should be around 20 degree. I calculated on my car 53.13 degree.

What can be done? I think either a different upper mounting bracket for the link or it's location. Or new angles and length of the anti-sway bar itself.

Please advise ASAP what ADDCO can do.

Thank you,
Brad Allore

Attachments

• DSC00008.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 277
  • DSC00003.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 267
  • DSC00017.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC00018.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC00004.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC00014.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 291
If I could get my money back from Addco I'd buy one of Dave's and get some sleep. Here is a copy of the pics & notes I sent to Addco today.....

Hello John,
I have some info regarding the fitting to the 1969 Plymouth Valiant. The car was levelled and the front lower control were set to the factory alignment height. Anti-Sway bar installed as per instructions with the correct link spacing mocked up. I used the outer edge of the drag link as a datum and a chart on the floor with a plum bob. With the the vertical spacing of 2 1/2" between the bottom of the upper link mount bracket and the top of the anti-sway bar mount location. The horizontal distance between the between the upper & lower link bolt holes is 1 7/8" @ 53.13 degrees and a distance of about 3.13". That's excessive and out side the 20 dgree you mentioned

You mentioned on the phone that it should be around 20 degree. I calculated on my car 53.13 degree.

What can be done? I think either a different upper mounting bracket for the link or it's location. Or new angles and length of the anti-sway bar itself.

Please advise ASAP what ADDCO can do.

Thank you,
Brad Allore

You have the bar upside down.....I just installed mine and did the same thing, so I flip the bar around and it works

-
Back