Any 10 second "All Throttle" 318's in door cars ?

-
Zzzzzzzzz, Zzzzzzzzz, Zzzzzzzzz

This infatuation with 273s and 318s.... I'll never understand it. Why oh why would a guy start off at a torque deficit, spend shitloads of money, only to still be outgunned by bigger motors.... which cost less at a given price point?

There's no replacement for displacement. Take an 11.5 sec 318 and toss in a 4" arm and viola you're knocking on the door of 10s.

This infatuation with 273s and 318s.... I'll never understand it. Why oh why would a guy start off at a torque deficit, spend shitloads of money, only to still be outgunned by bigger motors.... which cost less at a given price point?

There's no replacement for displacement. Take an 11.5 sec 318 and toss in a 4" arm and viola you're knocking on the door of 10s.
I take it you read the title and posted.. didn't read the thread .. my guess anyways

Choice! the same reason you go 416 and I go 451-512.

Choice! the same reason you go 416 and I go 451-512.
Just like the drive-by media, grab a title and throw out statement, and of course a negative one at that ... LOL

Never mind the fact that I stated multiple times that this had nothing to do with the "love of a 318 or infatuation" but rather "these are the parts I have laying around - for a while now. Maybe I bolt them together and let them run..." But, whatever :)

NEVER trust online calculators! 100 percent wrong on my combo!
Lol ! I hear ya brother ! But , I can honestly say that all 16 race cars in our group on the Wallace calculator is dead nuts on……. Some of the guys have changed their car , either more motor, chassis work , which made the cars lighter! Punch the correct numbers in, it comes up correctly everytime ! Every car in our group runs motor , and alcohol and no smack ! Out of the 16 cars the fastest 660ft has run 5.36 , slowest 6.60 ! Out of the 16 cars there are 6 cars that run mid 5’s ! The reason I say all this is , most of the calculators the faster you go the more inaccurate they get ! But, Wallace is dead nuts for are group! I know it doesn’t really matter , but man it’s fun to sit around and bench race with the Wallace calculators !

Just like the drive-by media, grab a title and throw out statement, and of course a negative one at that ... LOL

Never mind the fact that I stated multiple times that this had nothing to do with the "love of a 318 or infatuation" but rather "these are the parts I have laying around - for a while now. Maybe I bolt them together and let them run..." But, whatever :)
Every time I hear bigger is always better, I am reminded of the kid in Boise with the 283 El Camino that would smoke all comers on the street and strip when I lived there in 1976. He drove it to school every day, had the slicks in the back bed. lol

Lol ! I hear ya brother ! But , I can honestly say that all 16 race cars in our group on the Wallace calculator is dead nuts on……. Some of the guys have changed their car , either more motor, chassis work , which made the cars lighter! Punch the correct numbers in, it comes up correctly everytime ! Every car in our group runs motor , and alcohol and no smack ! Out of the 16 cars the fastest 660ft has run 5.36 , slowest 6.60 ! Out of the 16 cars there are 6 cars that run mid 5’s ! The reason I say all this is , most of the calculators the faster you go the more inaccurate they get ! But, Wallace is dead nuts for are group! I know it doesn’t really matter , but man it’s fun to sit around and bench race with the Wallace calculators !

According to Wallace, my car should run mid 12s, but it really runs 14s. How can it be so close for all your cars and so far off for me? 3680 lbs plus fuel, 380 presumed crank hp(true MP Crate. Maybe I have the motor that although advertised minimum 380 bhp but is the one motor that was under horsepower because I suck. Everyone else gets a true 385 -400 ish )=12.42 according to the calculator........
I'll just backtrack and put a stock 360 and stock convertor. Porting polishing heads and a convertor added nothing to my times. A waste of money!

According to Wallace, my car should run mid 12s, but it really runs 14s. How can it be so close for all your cars and so far off for me? 3680 lbs plus fuel, 380 presumed crank hp(true MP Crate. Maybe I have the motor that although advertised minimum 380 bhp but is the one motor that was under horsepower because I suck. Everyone else gets a true 385 -400 ish )=12.42 according to the calculator........
I'll just backtrack and put a stock 360 and stock convertor. Porting polishing heads and a convertor added nothing to my times. A waste of money!

Do NOT use ET to try and calculate HP. Use MPH.

I‘d bet a lot that your MPH says you make more power than your ET does.

ET is hook, MPH is horsepower.

Dont ***** about a tool when you misuse it. And it’s pretty shitty that Wallace even has a calculator for HP that uses ET. It’s inaccurate at best.

All I can tell you is I don’t guess at anything ! I know the exact weight on the starting line. I know the exact e.t. , and I know the exact mph ! One of the guys car is 3500 lbs runs 6.27 at 108 mph ! Wallace predicts those numbers and it runs that ! I punch in actual track numbers only

But really? Are you serious? OK, so you have a price tag attached to 12-1 - 318 pistons?
As I said, pistons and heads are the pricey ones.
What was the point of your reply? Seems like splitting hairs to me.
$945 Edelbrock heads (That IMO will need a spring change for a hood cam!)
PLYMOUTH Edelbrock 60779 Edelbrock Performer RPM Cylinder Heads | Summit Racing
$897 .060 forged w/rings & .140 dome
They’re not 12-1!!!!!
ICON IC845KTD.060 ICON Premium Forged Piston and Ring Kits | Summit Racing

A big whopping $48 difference. I don’t think you’ll get springs so $48 cheap ether. They’re both expensive and to make note of the difference is silly. Then a nice carb ain’t cheap ether.
I was basically agreeing with you, and just adding lots on here act like a 318 needs a nascar level investment in time and money to make 400 plus hp.

Just too add to the speed master flow numbers mine did 233 @.500 with a good valve job and 2.05 valve but no porting at all. With some very basic port work they did 254 @.500 on the same bench. Keep in mind these were just "street" heads but the bowls were big enough I figured a 2.05 valve would be better given the valve job and give room to grow later.

To tell the story, I'd have to see the ET slip. 60 ft time and 1/4 mph would tell a lot

What’s even more crazier are the guys the come in and lost exactly what you did. And then come back for more.

NO Boost or Bottle ... ... any door cars going 10's on a 3.31 stroke 318 ?? .030 or .060 over fine, but the 318 block and 318 stroke
  • I know we have 11 second street car 318's
  • Asking because I am "pondering"
  • IF you are in the 10's, care to share your combo ??
I looked for the rules for a NHRA stock class 2 barrel and found everything but. I entered nhra stock class and it showed rules for stock eliminator, super stock. What did I do wrong? I'd like to check that out for a 2 barrel.

Because it can be done, that’s why.

My little 362” has beat many 4” strokers and not by a tenth either.

Nobody and I mean nobody believes me that my engine is small cubic inch. I happen to like it that way. I didn’t spend a **** load of money either. I spent money we’re it counted, the heads.

I have been reading/following this. I am super curious to see what you @318willrun come up with, and others. All engines respond to the same modifications, heads, cam intake, carb/injection, etc. No reason a 318 or any other can do it with the right recipe. You are after the true essence of hot rodding...use what you have and is available. Congrats.

I looked for the rules for a NHRA stock class 2 barrel and found everything but. I entered nhra stock class and it showed rules for stock eliminator, super stock. What did I do wrong? I'd like to check that out for a 2 barrel.
you'd have to click on links within the sight.

Because it can be done, that’s why.
Exactly
My little 362” has beat many 4” strokers and not by a tenth either.
Because someone’s paying attention….. YOU!
Nobody and I mean nobody believes me that my engine is small cubic inch. I happen to like it that way. I didn’t spend a **** load of money either. I spent money we’re it counted, the heads.
Because the world has gone stroker mad!
“It can’t be fast if it’s a small engine!”
Good heads and a good cam go a long way!

A 318, compared with other engines out there in production, either before or after the 318 was produced, was and is still a mid to large displacement engine.

When I look at other engines out there with similar displacement, there are countless examples of really high HP 5.2ish liters of displacement.

I really love all things mopar so hey I love a fast 318. However, all other things being equal, a 273/318/340/360/390/408/422 all occupy the same exact outer footprint, and likely a very similar weight. All other things considered displacement will still rule the day. To each his own though, by virtue we're all mopar guys, none of us are choosing the mainstream or easy path.

But yet you still continue to post and downgrade the smaller picture big e instead of helping.

I thought this was a place to help out a fellow MoPar brother and not continually offer zero help and discredit the engine being used at hand and post negatively and push away from what help is being sought.

Are you here to help or just keep posting non helpful posts?

-
Back