Any soda junkies out there?

-

65LoveAffair

Whovian
Reaction score
I have always been a soda drinker. At one point I was drinking more than a gallon of Coke or Pepsi a day. It never really affected my weight because I was always pretty active, and my height hides a little extra weight (I'm 6'4"). In the last few years I've quit smoking, but on the flip-side I substituted the hand-mouth motion with drinking more soda. As a result, I've ballooned out to nearly 300 pounds and I suffer from chronic heartburn because of all the acid in the soda. :wack: My wife and I both agree that I need to quit drinking soda because it is not doing me any good.
Here's what I'm doing: I've started drinking a bottle of water before I allow myself to have a soda. Eventually, I'll move to two bottles of water per bottle of soda, and so forth. Surprisingly, I'm starting to enjoy the cold water more than I figured I would. We bought a Brita filter that we can keep in the fridge so we have cold filtered water whenever we want it. I'm hoping that by eventually drinking more water than soda I can bring my weight back down to a more comfortable level, and I also hope I can get off these damn antacids I have to take.
Anybody else out there ever had issues with soda? If you overcame it, what did you do?

At first, I wanted to soapbox here about how bad sodas are and not just from a weight perspective.
Then I was like, "no...nobody wants to hear it."

but I kept reading your post.

You covered it, man. The stuff's a lot worse than just its calorie content.

i no longer drink pop been 2 years
quit smokeing about 6 years ago spent 350 a month on cigs
i quit based of price increase

I stopped drinking soda a few years back. Drink juice and water now, don't need all that sugar and sugar free taste awful to me. Do use pepsi once in awhile but some dark rum in it.

I am addicted to Diet mountain Dew ....I always get the Diet because I like the flavor better. Doesn't do anything for my weight but the chemicals will probably kill me before I ever gain enough weight to die of obesity. :tard:

I don't know, because I am in denial about it but I am sure the chemicals in the Diet are worse than the sugar. I don't like the way the regular dew tastes ....leaves a heck of an after tastes..... :sad9:

I used to drink Coke instead of coffee - about a six pack a day - started getting heartburn every afternoon - read up on it - the 3 main triggers were 1) spicy food - "Doh!", 2) greasy food, "Doh!", and 3) carbonated beverages, "Doh!!!"

I quit all three for about a month, heartburn went away...switched to water for drinking and coffee for waking up. I allow myself a mini coke (the 8 oz cans) now and then (no more than 2 in any given day) - spicy food still gets me sometimes, but...you know?

Good luck!!!

Quit sodas (aside from the occasional Whisky platform) about 3-4 years ago.
Haven't been inside a McDonalds except to piss in 6 years.
Diet sodas ARE worse than regulars because of the extra chemicals which nobody seems to care about until they get their diagnosis. That's when they convert and start trying to convert others who, like they did, won't listen.

I admit to drinking WAYyyyyy too much coffee! I have had acid reflux bad for years, finally got on Primesec , one every day.. who knows what that does to ya!???
supposed the acid in coffee is bad, but had it bad when I was too busy to even drink coffee so go figure!!

the soda pop, I can't help ya there, hate the stuff. period.. a Pepso over ice with a Pizza once every few months is PLENTY!

I figure to break a bad habit, its all about self control.... whether smoking or whatever, YOU just gotta decide you will break that habit... no one can do it for ya. now if someone could keep me from wanting another MOPAR!!!! ha

Here's the problem(s). Two things make you gain weight, carbs and sugar. Doctors/Scientists have found that sugar is one of the few things that "cancer cells" can use as fuel to grow. In fact a machine (kind of like an x ray machine) was designed to track sugar in the human body and they found that they could give a patient 1/2 bar of Hersheys chocolate and within 15 minutes they could pin point the cancer cells because the cancer cells will "light up" basically because they use sugar as their main source of fuel. So, for that reason alone I would avoid sugar at all cost. Secondly, the human body (in the absence of sugar) will convert carbs into sugar. So even if you don't eat sugar your body can still convert carbs into sugar.
It's good that the OP is doing his best to avoid sugar but without sugar your body will crave "more" carbs to compensate. It's a struggle to say the least!!
Also, sugar causes inflammation in the human body, this has been accepted fact for a good long time. If you have any intestinal issues "sugar' is the worst thing you can eat.

There's a lot more to this story but I don't want to take away from the OP's efforts.

Cheers,
Treblig

Actually, it's all relevant to the OP. Maybe he needs to hear all the doom and gloom to get the needed motivation?

Soda is the crack cocain of the masses and yes diet soda is even worse. I am also currently trying to rid this from my diet also.

Brian

You guys suffering from heartburn know that a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a few ounces of water kills heartburn like right now?
Helps with gas also as well as acid reflux.
WAY cheaper than OTC meds and works really fast.

You guys suffering from heartburn know that a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a few ounces of water kills heartburn like right now?

Actually, that was something I didn't know. I'll have to try that next time, thanks!

Yep, baking soda is a multi use product.

I will have to try that. before Primosec or whatever its called I would get acid reflux so bad, food would sometimes not go down.

I figure any and all sound info here is great. does the govn't really want the general public to know what foods are good for them!!???? I doubt it!

I am addicted to Diet mountain Dew ....I always get the Diet because I like the flavor better. Doesn't do anything for my weight but the chemicals will probably kill me before I ever gain enough weight to die of obesity. :tard:

I don't know, because I am in denial about it but I am sure the chemicals in the Diet are worse than the sugar. I don't like the way the regular dew tastes ....leaves a heck of an after tastes..... :sad9:

Most diet soda/pop contains aspartame which if stored above 80° will ferment into formaldehyde... Some companies are starting to get away from it...

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/aspartame

http://aspartame.mercola.com/

If I do drink pop, I stick to the regular sugar instead of the diet crap...

(the sugar is less harmful...) :banghead:

I have always been a soda drinker. At one point I was drinking more than a gallon of Coke or Pepsi a day. It never really affected my weight because I was always pretty active, and my height hides a little extra weight (I'm 6'4"). In the last few years I've quit smoking, but on the flip-side I substituted the hand-mouth motion with drinking more soda. As a result, I've ballooned out to nearly 300 pounds and I suffer from chronic heartburn because of all the acid in the soda. :wack: My wife and I both agree that I need to quit drinking soda because it is not doing me any good.
Here's what I'm doing: I've started drinking a bottle of water before I allow myself to have a soda. Eventually, I'll move to two bottles of water per bottle of soda, and so forth. Surprisingly, I'm starting to enjoy the cold water more than I figured I would. We bought a Brita filter that we can keep in the fridge so we have cold filtered water whenever we want it. I'm hoping that by eventually drinking more water than soda I can bring my weight back down to a more comfortable level, and I also hope I can get off these damn antacids I have to take.
Anybody else out there ever had issues with soda? If you overcame it, what did you do?

I think the heartburn is from the extra weight. When I was over 300 lbs, I had heartburn and had to take Previcid for it. Now that I lost 60 lbs, I'm off the Prevacid and do not have heatburn very often any more. (but have over a year's stock of Prevacid still that I don't need...) :banghead:

Get off the pop all together. It's bad for you and with all the sugar makes you more thirsty so you drink more. I get more satisfaction from water for my thirst. Once you ween yourself off of the pop, you won't miss it after a while.

You can always use kool-aid etc to help ween you off the sugar, by mixing it half strength and then trying to use less and less.

I prefer to drink plain water or fruit juice, but you have to watch out for some of the sugars in fruit drinks. Minute Maid lemonade in the bottles has more sugar than soda.... WTF??? Read the labels next time you are at the store and compare...

Or Lipton tea, some with 13 - 17 g of sugar compared to pop at 33 or more....

I have the one gallon brita by my kitchen sink and fill it regularly with my spray nozzle. Along with a stock of filters for it...

I will have to try that. before Primosec or whatever its called I would get acid reflux so bad, food would sometimes not go down.

I figure any and all sound info here is great. does the govn't really want the general public to know what foods are good for them!!???? I doubt it!

I had a problem with food not wanting to go down. Turns out I had so much irritation from the acid getting up in my throat that it caused a lot of scarring. My gastroenterologist performed an out patient operation that removed the scarring and opened everything up again. Boy it felt good to swallow like a normal person again!!!!!:blob:
I then figured out the two main reasons that caused the scarring. First, anytime you lay down flat acid can get into your throat. Second, if you bend over or get your head below your stomach acid will get into your throat. So I raised the head of my bed 12 inches and stopped laying flat under my hot rods and I haven't had to go back for the procedure in many many years. Lot less acid reflux as well because the irritation is gone and won't return unless I sleep at a hotel (I take a wedge with me) or I accidentally lay under a car.

Treblig

If anyone needs some prevacid, I will sell the three packs for $20 to get rid of them...

(they cost about $27 at the store and sometimes they have a drought and you can't find them...)

I know someone who works at Coke USA. I quit long ago, but you dont want to know how bad it is. Shame it went so well with cheeseburgers and pizza. You should start a gum thread. Thats some bad stuff.

I had a problem with food not wanting to go down. Turns out I had so much irritation from the acid getting up in my throat that it caused a lot of scarring. My gastroenterologist performed an out patient operation that removed the scarring and opened everything up again. Boy it felt good to swallow like a normal person again!!!!!:blob:
I then figured out the two main reasons that caused the scarring. First, anytime you lay down flat acid can get into your throat. Second, if you bend over or get your head below your stomach acid will get into your throat. So I raised the head of my bed 12 inches and stopped laying flat under my hot rods and I haven't had to go back for the procedure in many many years. Lot less acid reflux as well because the irritation is gone and won't return unless I sleep at a hotel (I take a wedge with me) or I accidentally lay under a car.

Treblig

YES! I had that gasto ----- thing done couple years back, helped a bunch, raised my bed( O K, so I slide off! or down). I didn' t take a Omaprazine ( generic Primosec) other day, I was miserable all day! and before starting omn the med, I would reflux where the acid was actually bouncing up into my lungs. coughing is indication...... ideally you take the med couple of weeks and fixes it buy not me....

I really need to wean myself off coffee ( i'm a sissy, use sugar and milk in mine). need to get off bread. this woman is from WY, they eat NO veg unless you call taters a veg! ha........need more fruit, veggies, quit the coffee, bread, pasta.
fruit juices...... most of all I ever tried is 95% corn syrup water ( sugar).....I like v8 juice, bout all the juice I buy anymore.... tomato juice has so much salt! why I don't know? preservative?????

-
Back