Anybody Catch The First Episode Of The Dart Sport Buildup Today on "Musclecar"???

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
"Musclecar" showed the first episode of their Dart Sport buildup today and I couldn't believe my ears during the start of it. I ran it back 3 times and then called my wife in to listen to it just to make sure I heard right...and then all I could do was shake my head and laugh.
About 3-4 minutes in to the show he's giving the history of the Dodge Dart and when he gets to the '66 he says, "In 1966 the D-Dart was released with a 275hp 273. It gave the Mustangs and Corvairs all they could handle."
Corvairs???????????????????
Then he says how the restyled '67 could handle 7 different engine options in the engine bay and finishes with saying in '71 you could finally get the famed 340 with the rally pack option.
Does somebody want to clue those writers on a little Mopar A-body history?

But it should be a fun build to watch happen. They're making noises about a possible blown Hemi under the hood, tubbed rear, and modified K-member. I wonder if they're going to forget subframe connectors with a high horsepower engine. That should be fun to watch.
I sure hope they get this build right.

That is the car they bought from my cousin.Another episode tomorrow at 10:30am central time.They told him at purchese it was getting a 440 conversion but that was last year late summer.Anything could have changed by now.I was watching Meccum aution couple days ago and they were selling a 440 six pack e body and he said "its a 440-6 pack---yeap its a hemi",I just shook my head.

They are definitely understaffed on their writer/research people! I like the part where they said this is going to be an "every guy type of build", you know the kind you could do yourself. They are probably going to throw a RMS Alter K front end and four link set up in it, tub the rear, and put a blown Hemi in it. That's a little out of reach for most guys. But, I'll be watching anyway.

Yeah a lot of mistakes on the history of the Dart. They said they will tub it out, put on wheelie bars, and put a blown hemi in it if they can find one. Won't be your typical build that the average guy could afford.

I was watching Mecum last night and the one guy says, I had a friend that use to collect Mopars but he stopped ...said they were like tin cans so he collects GM'S now...Its been this way all my life. It seems as though thier has always been a conspriracy against Chrysler Corperation cars.

Most mods for the Chebbies come in a box...take it out...bolt it on

then go out and get your doors blown off by a Mopar....

so their answer is... buy another box of bolt on HP....its a vicious cycle...never ends...they just luv the pain!!

We luv it too!

Mopar to ya'
Denny

Any body can have a Chevy..........not every body can have a Mopar!

From the drawling they showed i wouldn't watch it cause the Dart Sport they are going to destroy looks pretty solid.

I wonder if there going to give me the scoop since there not going to use it ;)
I might have to steal some ideas for my sport to

I thought the dart they are tearing up looked pretty good and the 360 sounded healthy and did a nice lil burnout. good deal for 4500 that buys prettymuch crap up here

yeah he was wanting to get something different so he was priceing it for an individual and they seen the ad probably on craigslist and snatched it.I was about to buy it myself but waited too long.And yeah that 360 is a pretty nice thumping motor.They hinted around at alot of stuff but I doubt they find a 426 hemi cheap.lol I loved how they were talking about a 70 dart swinger and showing a 71 demon,cracks me up,but then again if you ask me about a chevy I would be clueless also but I could do better at research than they did.Btw I want one of those 275hp 273 factory motors.

They had quite a few things wrong and showed a demon as they rattled off the history.I was intrested till they said wheele bars and a blower pokin thru the hood,damn shame looks to be a solid car, too bad they are gonna butcher it.

Hey , At least they're building a mopar and they both seem in to it.

Sadly, research and accuracy in the automotive media is sorely lacking.

I thought at the 1st part of the show they said they were going to redo a 68 - and then they get a 74? I got a good laugh as soon as they said they were going to put a Hemi in it and wheelie bars - and then possilbly reuse the factory bench seat. Hope the fool that
takes it down the track the 1st time has a real good grip on the steering wheel. Seems like the only thing that is going to be left of the original car is the outside shell when they're done. I've pretty much gave up on that show, almost everything they do is involved with Chevy.

i think 4500 for an original /6 74 dart sport was a little much. especially when they are just going to gut the thing anyway. definately not a budget build.

Yep, i saw it too.
I think that $4500 was too much for it too.
Their budget builds have nothing to do with a real person's budget builds though. Really. Hemi? 4 link? Pro street? yeah, really cheap and easy to do for us real budget builders!
The car looked damn good though, a lot like the one i'm building........
I'm following this one despite their lack of mopar knowledge, i just love the Dart Sports. (God, i hate those shackles on this one) lol!
Everyone should be happy that they are doing an A-body for a change, even though they got the history wrong.
I want the scoop though if they don't, i think it makes these cars.
Can't wait for the next episode!

I saw the first episode, too. From what I saw, the car appears solid. I know they said that they paid the asking price for it, but they will probably sell a lot of the stuff they remove from the car, which they have done with other projects in the past.

If I recall correctly, the Corvair was a fairly hot item in sportsman class road racing back in the 1960s. The host might have been referring to that; certainly not to drag racing.

The host also mentioned that they would love to put a 426 Hemi into the car, but stated that the cost might be prohibitive, so they might weigh that option against going with another big block.

I'll keep tuning in.

-
Back