Anybody know about this intake? 318 single plane 2 barrel

-
A Weiand 8022 Stealth with 318 runners and ports, port match it all, add an eddy 600 4 barrel carb and call it a day. Thow those boat anchors in the scrap trailer.

So was Chrysler's intention for these to be some sort of lame attempt at producing a higher HP 2 bbl 273/318?
Those came mostly on 9.0 engines, and lightweight cars, that didn't need any more torque to make nice teeners. The cam sets the power peak, and the 318La cam never changed so no that's not it. But they had good midrange, great throttle response, and I would use one in in a heartbeat, In it's day, it was a good match on the 9/1 engines.

I think they also came on 318 Road runners in the 70's with heavier valve springs. Having had 273's I would notice them showing up on 318's but never figured out a pattern. Maybe winds up higher than the 318 dual plane intake?

Got this 2 barrel intake, it's a single plane, any idea what it came on? Is it desirable?

View attachment 1715402414
Itll allow the 318 in a dart to propel to 110 mph no problem.. if it was the only thing holding it back idk...but...
..basically a dart with a stock 318 w/that intake all stock can keep up with a Malibu sporting a goodwrench 350 drop in @245 hp

I think his concern isn't so much the top end, but the streetablility.
He read the same magazine experts that we all have, and they all say that a single plane is really best for high rpm.
So imagine how torquier and better milage the 318s would have got back then if they only had used a dual plane!

Seriously I think the magazine experts generalizations are fine for what they are, but plenty of examples where other design factors result in exceptions. Under low throttle a 318 has strong vacuum and fuel distribution is going to be good. As throttle opens runner and velocity probably keeps the distribution pretty even. Other plusses were lower weight, and better fit under the hoods of the compacts.

318s here had this intake for one year only, 1969 on Valiants. We are usually one to years behind the US & often got the leftovers of previous models....
Do not know what Chr was thinking because before & after models were dual plane.

-
Back