Anyone here use Layson's Restorations?

-

53ryder

Reaction score
Am working on replacing the gas tank in my '65 Dart. Trying to decide where to buy parts. Layson's Restorations (Lakewood, Wa) will give any FABO Gold Member a 10% discount on parts purchased. Was wondering if anyone here has had any experience, good or bad, with them? I'm about 1 1/2 hours drive north of them.

Glenn

At one time Laysons offered a filler tube that would correct the backflow problem in the early A also. Just thought it worth mentioning. Good luck

I have dealt with Laysons a couple times. Rick was helpful and friendly, transaction was easy, and shipping was fast.

I think they are closer to Puyallup, but who can pronounce it other than the people who live there lol.

Am working on replacing the gas tank in my '65 Dart. Trying to decide where to buy parts. Layson's Restorations (Lakewood, Wa) will give any FABO Gold Member a 10% discount on parts purchased. Was wondering if anyone here has had any experience, good or bad, with them? I'm about 1 1/2 hours drive north of them.

Glenn

i wouldn't buy anything from them unless i was holding the part in my hand. do a search here and any other mopar board and you'll see why.

send a PM directly to Rick@laysons

X2 Rick does a great job for us. He will take your order, pull it from stock and personally box it for shipping (If it will be shipped). Give him a call! You should be able to drive down and pick the parts up. tmm

I think it would be worth the drive down to have the parts in your hands before you pay. They are located at the north end of McChord AFB right off I5. If you're looking for used parts, there are a lot of people locally that have the parts you need.

At one time Laysons offered a filler tube that would correct the backflow problem in the early A also. Just thought it worth mentioning. Good luck

That sounds very interesting. My 66 Valiant wagon takes forever to fill up...

It was only a few bucks, but when i replaced my fuel tank they never sent my pick up tube screen filter. Turns out nobody had any at the time so why did they take my money for a part they knew they didn't have. Still waiting for years.

He has a rep for taking money for parts that are on order/in transit/ et cetera...then it takes forever to get your parts. Know a guy who gave him a set of NOS tail lights (for a '66 Valiant) to re-pop, and when the task was done, Rick gave the guy back a set of the re-pops and kept the NOS ones (the guy who got shafted is a Tacoma area local that use to have a lot of 63-66 A-body parts and cars)

So, if he doesn't have the stuff right there- no go. And beyond that, do no 'extras' with Laysons- maybe something has changed, but I'd err on the side of caution.

He has a rep for taking money for parts that are on order/in transit/ et cetera...then it takes forever to get your parts. Know a guy who gave him a set of NOS tail lights (for a '66 Valiant) to re-pop, and when the task was done, Rick gave the guy back a set of the re-pops and kept the NOS ones (the guy who got shafted is a Tacoma area local that use to have a lot of 63-66 A-body parts and cars)

So, if he doesn't have the stuff right there- no go. And beyond that, do no 'extras' with Laysons- maybe something has changed, but I'd err on the side of caution.

V-100, are you sure you're talking about our FABO member Rick, or are you referring to Dave Layson, the company's owner??? It's kind of sad, but there's a big difference in both the results you'll get and the customer service you will receive in dealing with Rick rather than Dave.

Geez Joe, do you EVER say anything nice???

just watching out for a fellow member. that place has screwed way too many people over. like i said. do a search on just about any mopar site and you'll see real world feedback about that **** *** company.

and yes i do have very nice things to say about companies that don't screw over their customers.

Four years ago, the Laysons went through some serious legal difficulties. The case was ultimately dismissed but not before there were dire consequences for the business. It wouldn't surprise me if those who had problems had them during that time.

http://blogs.moparmusclemagazine.co...estorations-carlisle-criminal-case-dismissed/

no, the issues were around for years before that incident..

robwolf.jpg

z40.jpg

After being in the hobby all my life, I know about its past history too (and, in fact, sat on its waiting list for many, many years to no avail) but have to add that what I know about Rick has really changed my own perspective of the company's customer service.

It appears that Rick has done everything humanly possible to remedy the rampant problems and bend over backwards to try to change the public's opinion. From a business owner's perspective, I sincerely hope that Dave truly appreciates and compensates Rick for what he's been able to accomplish so far and for what he'll do in the future. In my view, it would be a welcome privilege to have someone like him on board. If I was personally inclined to buy something from Layson's, I wouldn't deal with anyone else.

only way i would buy from laysons is if they were the only place left on earth that had the part. even then i would need the part in my hand before they got any of my money..

http://www.gastanks.com/1964-66-Barracuda-Dart-Dart-Sport-Swinger-Valiant/productinfo/CR-11A/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1966-M...t=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

http://compare.ebay.com/like/150897972100?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

laysons looks to be most expensive too. http://www.laysons.com/Catalog.cfm?nCatID=283&nModelID=5&nModelYear=1965 JL-CR11A Fuel Tank - 18 gallon (See Strap #JL-JST095)
64 -66 A-Body
$274.00

all the above links look to use the same cr11a number..

My personal experience has been mixed. I bought lots of parts for my convertible at one time, and had no problems with service or quality. Another time I ordered one part, and when they couldn't fill the order, I had to wait almost a year for a refund.

Yet another time, I tried to order from Rick, and despite leaving several voice mails, and finally asking someone who answered a different phone, to please pass on a message, I never received a call back.

Because they are a one-stop supplier, I would probably order from them again, but I would verify the part is in stock before sending money. In the meantime, I've found other less expensive suppliers for many of the same parts offered by Laysons.

FWIW, I will give Dave credit for creating many of the aftermarket A-body parts that wouldn't be available today if he hadn't started the ball rolling. If he ever learns a little humility and gets his act totally together, his company will boom with business.

I m sure Rick is a great guy. That's great, but ultimately where does the money go ?
You guessed it, Dave. Laysons reputation is less then steller,and that's putting it nicely. Do a Google search on the company.
Bottom line,the guy doesn't deserve it. He's screwed way to many people over.

Besides,why would you want to buy a tank from a guy for $300.00,that you can get off eBay for less
than $150.00 ?

Not to hijack this thread but I have a brand new CR11A tank that came with some stuff I bought a couple of years ago. I don't need and will let it go for $100 plus shipping. PM me if interested. Can provide pictures.

-
Back