Anyone run the Weber knock off 38 progressive 2bl here on their 225?

-

Cruisingram

Reaction score
I was just given one, but not sure if it is worth the effort of buying the throttle and kick down linkage to put it on the motor yet- I am still tinkering with the 225 on the engine stand, installing cam etc- the 2bl manifold is at the media blasters and then back for some polishing I think.

Anyone run it? Or should I just wait and put the real 400 dollar weber on it? oops- sorry- 500 dollar weber? Dayum. That will be the most expensive part on this motor. Maybe I should get a two barrel holley LOL. Okay- never mind, the holley is up to five hundy now too.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine installed a real Weber 2 barrel on a V6 Chevy Blazer about 10 years ago.
It's his wife's daily driver. Must be ok I see her running around town.

If you already have the carb, run it.
The worst that can happen is it doesn't run properly...& then you can move to plan B.

I was just given one, but not sure if it is worth the effort of buying the throttle and kick down linkage to put it on the motor yet- I am still tinkering with the 225 on the engine stand, installing cam etc- the 2bl manifold is at the media blasters and then back for some polishing I think.

Anyone run it? Or should I just wait and put the real 400 dollar weber on it? oops- sorry- 500 dollar weber? Dayum. That will be the most expensive part on this motor. Maybe I should get a two barrel holley LOL. Okay- never mind, the holley is up to five hundy now too.
Show me a link to this Weber 38 "progressive" carburetor. I want to see it. The only "progressive" Weber I'm aware of is the 32/36 and that's almost too small for a stock 170. If someone makes a Weber or Weber style progressive 38, I wanna know about it.

Hmmmm, thanks for that Rusty- I am not familiar with Weber carbs at all- it's a 38.
If it's a 38, unless it's something I've not seen (entirely possible) then it's most likely a synchronous two barrel. In other words, they open together.

Your right, I do this wierd thing where I flip my terms- yes, it's a snycronous carbs, the butterflies open together. I have a friend that has a new one in the box for a jeep, 400 bucks firm, which I think is a deal especially when considering shipping as well. Gonna see if I can snag it.

Your right, I do this wierd thing where I flip my terms- yes, it's a snycronous carbs, the butterflies open together. I have a friend that has a new one in the box for a jeep, 400 bucks firm, which I think is a deal especially when considering shipping as well. Gonna see if I can snag it.
Yeah that's very decent. Heck I was hopin I was wrong and it was a 38 progressive. lol

If it is a down draft, probably a 38DGAS. If side draft, a 38 DCOE.

I tell you what I wanna do. I wanna put two progressive 32/36s on my next engine with progressive linkage between the two. Probably get decent mileage and haul the mail too. I can dream, right? lol

I had thought about that too. Using the Offenhauser dual 1v intake. Stovebolt Engines used to sell a Carter version of the Holley 5200 which was a knockoff of the Weber carburetor, for $50.

I had thought about that too. Using the Offenhauser dual 1v intake. Stovebolt Engines used to sell a Carter version of the Holley 5200 which was a knockoff of the Weber carburetor, for $50.
I think if I did it, I would get the Aussie two four barrel intake and adapt the Webers to it.

I have a Weber 32/36 progressive on my 84 Rampage 2.2. WARNING: you can only run between 2 and 3 PSI of fuel pressure with those carbs.

I tell you what I wanna do. I wanna put two progressive 32/36s on my next engine with progressive linkage between the two. Probably get decent mileage and haul the mail too. I can dream, right? lol
There was a time I would have just whipped up a manifold for you to do it- when my shop is done, sounds kinda cool actually. One thing I love about this little dart is that it gets amazing mileage too.

Most Webers come with steel needles & seats. Redline in Hollywood, Calif sell Viton n/seats which are more forgiving & less prone to flooding for street use. Not sure if they have them for all models.

Well, pick up a genuine weber this upcoming wednesday, once I have it in my hands I will tell you guys the price- he bought it for a jeep project that he sold.

The 38/38mm DGES? (DGAS) is NOT a progressive in the same sense as the 32/36 style. The 32/36 allows you to actually run on the primary only, before the secondary opens, based on pedal input. The 38's open both venturi's the same amount at the same time, from idle to wide open. In that sense it is NOT progressive in the same way the 32/36 is. Agree with others that with a cam/headers on a 225 CID motor one 32/36 can be to small unless you due a lot of rejetting, changing the emulsion tubes, etc.. even an out of the box 38/38 may need some reworking. But why buy new? These are readily available used for much more reasonable amounts. Recently purchased a 38/38 here in Tucson for $40 after it sat on Craigslist for six months listed at $60. Rebuild kits are readily available. I like the webers but a holley 2bbl is a lot simplier to tune and just as easy to find reasonably priced used. No bad choices among the options.

The 38/38mm DGES? (DGAS) is NOT a progressive in the same sense as the 32/36 style. The 32/36 allows you to actually run on the primary only, before the secondary opens, based on pedal input. The 38's open both venturi's the same amount at the same time, from idle to wide open. In that sense it is NOT progressive in the same way the 32/36 is. Agree with others that with a cam/headers on a 225 CID motor one 32/36 can be to small unless you due a lot of rejetting, changing the emulsion tubes, etc.. even an out of the box 38/38 may need some reworking. But why buy new? These are readily available used for much more reasonable amounts. Recently purchased a 38/38 here in Tucson for $40 after it sat on Craigslist for six months listed at $60. Rebuild kits are readily available. I like the webers but a holley 2bbl is a lot simplier to tune and just as easy to find reasonably priced used. No bad choices among the options.
I just haven't found a good deal that will ship to Hawaii, so I got a new one on the box for darn near 50% off, so I am not too upset about it LOL. I understand the weber has better fuel metering across the board than the holley, which always wins at WOT from what I have read, but I am trying to keep the MPG up on this thing. I have port matched the heads to manifolks, opened the exhaust out to 2-1/2 inches, got a custome oregon grind cam for torque and MPG, decked the head to up the compression a little. Carb was about the final thing I needed to purchase. I am doing the BBP brake swap all the way around, and as soon as that is done, the 170 is out, 225 is in. Running 3.55 gears in a Jeep wrangler rear end- which is also a major brake upgrade. Brakes first, HP second I always say!

I am in the market for a progressive Holly 2 barrel if anyone has one out there. 350 or 500 CFM. Thanks, Dave

@ cruisingram - did not notice your a location. I imagine there are much fewer spares floating around.

@ dave ellis - very difficult to find even in large markets like L.A.. It's why I started using the webers.

450 is a bit optimistic. A 40 FAV1 [ 2 bbl carb ] flows about 342 cfm according to D. Vizard
40 DCOE flows 350.

Got a 38 dgas on a blow thru turbo 4 banger, works great. $100 brand new off ebay. Also no boost referencing needed and comes with nitrophyl floats

-
Back