Anyone tried an MSD E Curve distributor?

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
I was going to buy a new MSD 6AL2 programmable to let me play with timing. My brother has one and I like the idea of it. I was all set to order it today when my carb guy says he uses the MSD E Curve distributor on his 340 and 360. Three wires, adjustable timing curves, and no need for an MSD box. If it works well, I could probably sell my Pro Billet distributor and MSD 6 box to pay for it. Does anyone have one? How well do they work? Are they as adjustable as it says? Any info would be great.

They work well, however, the initial total split will usually be a compromise. You have 10, 15, 20, 25 degrees of mechanical advance, nothing in the middle of those, IIRC.

Autoxcuda uses one. I think it's a little tight with the 3 speed wiper motor but otherwise it's a very good dizzy

I was reading the instructions online and I saw that. When they talked about 100 different curves available, there really wasn't, and as you say the advance was even numbered. That was why I posted this. I wanted to see if anyone had any practical experience other than my carb guy. The instructions and the description on MSD's site sound a lot like propaganda.

I use it. got almost 4500 miles on it. You have to run a oil filled coil with it. Mine did not work with an MSD Solid State coil.

The initial setup procedure is unique and strange. It's hard to explain. It's a simple procedure once you do right.

It's worked flawless for me. I ran a brand new Mopar Performance electronic ingition for the first 500 miles until I found out that MSD Solid State coil was not compatible (from MSD at SEMA show). The car did idle a little better with the MSD E-Curve.

Attachments

• 4_22_11Sm3.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 264
  • 4_22_11Sm8.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 281
  • 4_22_11Sm7.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 259
I've got one sitting in the box waiting for my 408 build to resume. Steve, I haven't bought a coil yet, which one did you use?

I have an MSD Blaster coil now. I don't know. The instructions seem a little hinky on the curves. It doesn't seem to be able to dial in as well as I'd like. Preset curves, and fairly large gaps in timing. I'd like to hear more about them.

I've got one sitting in the box waiting for my 408 build to resume. Steve, I haven't bought a coil yet, which one did you use?

Blaster II. Just has to be an oil filled coil.

Just not a Solid State coil like the square one MSD offers. I don't know of other places that sell Solid State coils.

I have an MSD Blaster coil now. I don't know. The instructions seem a little hinky on the curves. It doesn't seem to be able to dial in as well as I'd like. Preset curves, and fairly large gaps in timing. I'd like to hear more about them.

You change you total timing like any other distributor and full advance. 32, 33, 34....or whatever infinite degrees.

Yes, there are a certain number of preset curves. But aren't there only a certain number of mechanical curved kits and weights for mechanical curved distributors?

And sure you could file slots and remove and add weight. But how many of us really do that? And you really need a distributor machine. And every time you make a little 7,8,9 degree curve adjustment you need to run it in the car and compare. And keep changing until things get worse then go back to the optimum/peak setup.

You may want to hold onto your 6A box. Although the E-Curve doesn't require an external box, it is not a CD unit. It is however able to use a CD box. Just a thought.

-
Back