Anyone used a V6 Magnum in an A-body?

-
I too had toyed with the idea. Find a decent bodied Duster and put in a fuel injected v6, to make a dependable, year round daily driver. Not that a carb'd small block can't be dependable, just that I love fuel injection in -10 degree weather, open the door, turn the key and go back inside while my pickup warms up. When I bought my Dakota I went with the 3.9 for gas mileage, I don't think it gets any better than a 318 magnum would. The best I have ever got is 19mpg.

My 71 Sebring with fresh all stock 318/904 and 2.73 gears with 235/60-15 tires got 22 mpg on the interstate too. We drove it from Seattle to San Fran and that was the average. I had a 93 Dakota regular cab 2wd we bought new with the magnum 318 auto. It also would get almost 22 mpg with its 3.75 gears and overdrive if you kept it at 65.
Personally the car I'd like to see tried is a slant six, 4 speed manual overdrive, and simple fuel injection setup. Basically a feather duster with fuel injection. Maybe add better exhaust, lightweight wheels, and do it on a lighter 68 Valiant. No reason a car like that wouldn't get 30 mpg highway.

For a while, my mom had the 3.9, my brother had a 5.2, and I had just gotten my 5.9, all CC. We calculated that there was about 1.5 MPG difference on average between the different engines.

...and the 03 certainly DOES have o/d behind the v6.

I was thinking of picking up an early A-body, something like a 66 Valiant to use
as a daily driver.
Was also podering the idea of dropping on a V6-Magnum and 4speed auto out of a later model rwd dodge, probably a dakota doner. Seems like it would a good engine/tranny combo for that size car. I'd also want to retain the fuel injection

Anyone have any experience with a swap like this ?

Rather than the big OD trans, I would try for a 1994-2003 van with a V6: that uses a 32RH (AKA, an A-998) that will bolt right in! (If you see a short-wheelbase B250/2500 cargo van with West-Coast mirrors, it's probably a Verizon service van. Almost all those had this drivetrain.)

ps the years do matter on the daks . The 97s and up sucked for mpg .

They porked up for 1997...IIRC, they gained almost 500lbs. A Quad Cab 4x4 can top 5500! That's why a Dakota RT 5.9 is no quicker than a square-body truck with a 318. :(

Had a 93 Dakota 4x4 with a v6 in it. I remember like 16-17 mpg in it. Friend had a v8 2wd Dakota that got 18 mpg. Both were more around town type of driving.

In my opinion with the mpg being so close the v6 is a waste of time.

Now newer ho 3.5 is a different story. The 3.5 moved out tank of a magnum along pretty damn good. Best we got cruising at about 50mph on the cruise control through va was 24mpg. That thing was just under 4000 pounds though. Drop 800 pounds like an early a that motor may be a good all around set up.

My 71 Sebring with fresh all stock 318/904 and 2.73 gears with 235/60-15 tires got 22 mpg on the interstate too. We drove it from Seattle to San Fran and that was the average. I had a 93 Dakota regular cab 2wd we bought new with the magnum 318 auto. It also would get almost 22 mpg with its 3.75 gears and overdrive if you kept it at 65.
Personally the car I'd like to see tried is a slant six, 4 speed manual overdrive, and simple fuel injection setup. Basically a feather duster with fuel injection. Maybe add better exhaust, lightweight wheels, and do it on a lighter 68 Valiant. No reason a car like that wouldn't get 30 mpg highway.

I wonder if you could adapt the MPI setup from a Jeep 4.0 HO...?

If not...perhaps the Brand F (batch-fire) MPI truck setup?

Had a 93 Dakota 4x4 with a v6 in it. I remember like 16-17 mpg in it. Friend had a v8 2wd Dakota that got 18 mpg. Both were more around town type of driving.

In my opinion with the mpg being so close the v6 is a waste of time.

Now newer ho 3.5 is a different story. The 3.5 moved out tank of a magnum along pretty damn good. Best we got cruising at about 50mph on the cruise control through va was 24mpg. That thing was just under 4000 pounds though. Drop 800 pounds like an early a that motor may be a good all around set up.

The problem with the V6 Dak is pork: a pre-97 EC 4x4 or any 1997-later Dak is just too much for it. (I saw a Quad Cab 4x4 Dak with a V6 and it just made me cringe.) An early Dakota (or a 3000lb Duster) is fine with a V6.

I wonder if you could adapt the MPI setup from a Jeep 4.0 HO...?

If not...perhaps the Brand F (batch-fire) MPI truck setup?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_ZMTRbFNOU"]79 Volare Duster Multiport Fuel Injection Slant 6 six \ - YouTube[/ame]

Here's one. Help me here guys. I can't remember the gent's name for sure but I think it's dart64gt. He's from Cali. and the wagon was stolen and wrecked. tmm

Yes it was my wagon and I sure miss it. I always got between 21 & 22 miles per gal out on the highway never ck around town was to busy having fun with the wagon.

"Rather than the big OD trans, I would try for a 1994-2003 van with a V6: that uses a 32RH (AKA, an A-998) that will bolt right in! (If you see a short-wheelbase B250/2500 cargo van with West-Coast mirrors, it's probably a Verizon service van. Almost all those had this drivetrain.)"

Jarlaxle, would a v6 32rh transmission, bolt up to a v8 as well?

Im no tree hugger, but have you considered doing a electric engine swap? Its been done before and if your daily drive isnt too far it could be the perfect daily driver. Check out this electric drag car..then just look up electric engine swaps..[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtrpBJbLT9M"]Running On Lithium: White Zombie vs. Corvette - YouTube[/ame]

Yes it was my wagon and I sure miss it. I always got between 21 & 22 miles per gal out on the highway never ck around town was to busy having fun with the wagon.

Thanks for posting. I remember the sad story of you wagon being stolen.
I was always impressed on how the 3.9 looked so at home in your 66. tmm

Here's one. Help me here guys. I can't remember the gent's name for sure but I think it's dart64gt. He's from Cali. and the wagon was stolen and wrecked. tmm

Cant think of his name right now but he's a real nice fella. Lives just west of Palm Springs on I-10, Banning, CA. stopped there on the way to San Diego in 2011. I think he sold the wago. He has a 64 Dart with a 318 Magnum

"Rather than the big OD trans, I would try for a 1994-2003 van with a V6: that uses a 32RH (AKA, an A-998) that will bolt right in! (If you see a short-wheelbase B250/2500 cargo van with West-Coast mirrors, it's probably a Verizon service van. Almost all those had this drivetrain.)"

Jarlaxle, would a v6 32rh transmission, bolt up to a v8 as well?

It's an A998 and AFAIK, the V6 uses the SB bell pattern...so it should. I wouldn't expect one to hold up behind more than a mild 318, though.

Dakotas are heavy. Mopar Action weighed their 92 2wd, std cab, short box at 4100lbs. That's as light as they get. If you could shave 800-1000lbs off that weight, wouldn't you get better milage, and feel like you had more power? The OP did say "daily driver", right?

-
Back