Anything special about a 91 318?

-
Not sure I'd call them special but I have only seen 714 casting heads on 1991 model 318s. Some debate can be had on the differences between them an 302 casting heads However, in one flow test I've seen they offered a rather healthy benefit over the strikingly similar 302... (about 8 minutes into this video: ) ...food for thought and I'd like to see that test repeated.

For those who are interested 714s are the exact same castings as 302s.

302, 646, 714 all the same casting.

1020161100.jpg

I was hoping for a 518
Why?
The A500 has a better 1st and 2nd gear ratio for faster acceleration. Less rotating mass. Unless the C body wagon is a 5000 lb tank, the A500 may be durable enough to last awhile if it isn't abused.

Not sure I'd call them special but I have only seen 714 casting heads on 1991 model 318s. Some debate can be had on the differences between them an 302 casting heads However, in one flow test I've seen they offered a rather healthy benefit over the strikingly similar 302... (about 8 minutes into this video: ) ...food for thought and I'd like to see that test repeated.

PLEASE pay attention to the following:

Vertical vid.gif

Vertical video looks terrible. Rotate the phone 90 degrees and record it this way.

Cuz the 500 is 904 based, and me +904s don't get along. Even though I don't drive them hard they don't last. 518 is 727 based, much beefier from the get go.
I've swapped several 727s where 904s came out and a few 518s in place of 500s over the years. 518 in place of 500 is even easier than 727 in place of 904.
Though "if" I could find one of those old smallblock to /6 adapters that 500 could find its way behind a /6 I have.

The suggestion still applies.
There are numerous amateurs with phones that do it wrong and are too ignorant to know the right way.

Well it's home.
A little fanfare in getting it here.
I ended up getting a dolly from u haul
Now I remember why I haven't dealt with that company in so long. Story for later, Im in a pretty good mood right now so I don't want to get all pissed again. This is probably my last encounter I will have with that company. Never again.

I see what everyone complains about with the 91 serpentine setup.

I've had a 92, a 93, and 96, 318 club cab Dakota before, and a 99 3.9. all but the 96 had 2 pc driveshafts. And the 96 would have I think of it wasn't a 4wd. This 91 is 2wd and had a 1 pc drive shaft. Weird. Yes it is a club cab.
I went to pull the shaft for the tow home and dumped more fluid on the guys driveway, than I've ever seen come out the tailshaft of a Mopar trans before. At least the fluid is clean. Very clean.
It was sold because the PO didn't want to pay my buddy what he wanted to put in a new fuel pump.
PO is in mid 80s and recently quit hauling mowers around town and mowing everyone's grass. Truck is quite crusty.
Was told it may fire right up unassisted or might need a bonk with a hammer to the tank to jar the pump and get it going. I get there and hit the key, it starts right away and quits. (Was hoping to drive it on the dolly)
At this point the battery is too weak to try another crank, and I didn't have jumper cables with me. So me, the PO and his son pushed it onto the dolly.
I got it home, put the battery charger on it for less than 30 seconds and it fired right up, sounds strong and runs great.
PO complained it smoked, but it's got a good 1" thick coating of oil on the whole engine.
I didn't see any smoke but it looks like his "smoke" was probably "burn off". Though he and his son claim it had had another engine put in, about 12-15 years ago and smoked from the get go upon picking it up from having had it done. I guess that was the reason they supposedly changed the original engine in the 1st place. It runs too good, sounds too strong, for there to be much wrong with it.
Other than the trans, the tailgate, the heater controls and the radiator I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with the rest. Other than the hood and tailgate not a single body panel worth saving.
It's got a 3.55 geared 8-1/4 n it, debating whether that might be worth keeping. I know they put the 8-1/4 in those trucks in 87-90 that were 5 lug so a 5 lug conversion would be easy. Just wondering if it might be worth keeping for a future swap?
I know that I will be pulling the valve covers and looking for head casting numbers, if they are 302s or 714s those are staying here. Not sure if I will just save the whole engine or not yet. I will have everything off of it that I'm keeping, (whatever that will entail) by end of next weekend and ready to drop off at the scrap yard by early next week one day after work.

Few 318 that had true flat top pistons. RRR pointed this out years ago to me looking for some flat tops. Thought they would bump the ol 68's compression but I sold it shortly after.
Every 318 I have ever been into has had flat top Pistons unlike any 360 I have ever been into which are all dished (at least in stock form) can't say I like how far in the hole they are at TDC some years, though.

Truck has been here, stripped and gone.
I did keep the heads (they are 714 casting number with rotators on the exhaust side)
The motor started easy, ran good but smoked like a freight train. The heads did have those overheat plugs glued on reman's, for warranty purposes.
I also kept the (full) gas tank, (new) battery and radiator, starter, alternator, and a few things on the inside I need for my 96 like the heater controls.
And I did keep the supposed impossible to find, 1 year only serpentine belt tensioner.

Supposedly it had a reman engine put in about 10-12 years ago and it has been a sore spot with the PO's as I guess the reason why they sent it for a new engine was that the original one smoked and this one was "no better", and supposedly the people who put it in wouldn't make it right.
And supposedly they got rid of it because it had a bad fuel pump and they didn't want to put the money into it, it was quite rusty and really debatable whether it would have deserved a new one. But with 30 sec on the battery charger here, it fired right up every time I tried it, before pulling it apart.
I work with the guy who had done their mechanical work for the past handful of years/ and I saw lots of cobble work on it as I pulled it apart.
I don't know how much of it May have been his doing/ or whether it happened before he got involved but wow.
The PO was in his mid 80s and "retired" from side work mowing all over town. So he didn't need it anymore anyway.

Why?
The A500 has a better 1st and 2nd gear ratio for faster acceleration. Less rotating mass. Unless the C body wagon is a 5000 lb tank, the A500 may be durable enough to last awhile if it isn't abused.
I thought all c bodies were 5000# tanks.
This one is a 72 Fury 3 seat woodie wagon

-
Back