Are Cylinder Heads 2843675 Open or Closed Chamber?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I had the 318 in my '65 Formula S rebuilt by a local shop, but I don't remember seeing the combustion chamber shape at the time (more than ten years ago) Cylinder heads were change by a previous owner (and the block obviously) and are not original to the vehicle. Just wondering what i have? Thank you.

painted motor 3.JPG

I thought the only closed chamber heads were the 67ish 273 heads.

PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

The 675's on my 68 318 are open chamber and the pistons were only 0.080 in the hole when I had the heads off a few years ago. The exhaust valves were sunk because of unleaded gas for the last 40 years too...

I thought the only closed chamber heads were the 67ish 273 heads.

PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.
The 318-3 truck/industrial engines had closed chambers as well. They have a coolant passage instead of the exhaust crossover though.
casting # 234, 277 and I think there was one or two more but can't remember those numbers right now.

IIRC 67 and 68 318 engines are both 9.2:1 compression.

...but 68 is with open chambered heads?

I had the 318 in my '65 Formula S rebuilt by a local shop, but I don't remember seeing the combustion chamber shape at the time (more than ten years ago) Cylinder heads were change by a previous owner (and the block obviously) and are not original to the vehicle. Just wondering what i have? Thank you.

View attachment 1716028283
You have a 318 not original to your car, but we don't know the year of the engine or the head numbers. No reason to guess what you have and whether you have open or closed chambers. It doesn't really matter at this point.

View attachment 1716028283
Judging by this and subsequent photos, you have a late '79 block (for and '80 model year), with '68-72 cylinder heads, a 273 4bbl intake, a big block coil bracket, '67-8 2bbl valve covers, and odd combination of alternator bracket, spacers, and hardware, and a '68-up thermostat cover. This should be in the dictionary under "Frankenmotor" :lol:

-
Back