Arthur’s Duster

-
@SLOPAR72 , can you post a pic of your car with the white stripe. My wife and I are trying to decide between black, white, and brown.

I have never seen another like it (though I am sure it exist.) It all depends on your Flare. It will not stand out in a car gathering or necessarily draw a crowd just because it's not a high impact scheme.... Very Subtle color combination.....

JW

Image161188544.jpg

Image1737361833.jpg

Image1202142934.jpg

Here are some examples of brown stripes. Now, thy aren't the 340 stripe like I am going with but the color pallets are the same or similar.

The first car is Sunfire Yellow like mine and the second is Fawn Gold. Both have the Landau top whereas mine does not.

View attachment 1715950128 View attachment 1715950129

Interestingly, the Fawn Gold car is exactly like my first Duster (1998-2004). That car was possibly one of the nicest examples of a survivor that you could EVER find. 28,000 miles on it. A man in his 70's bought the car in 1973 and sold it to his sister in 1974, who was also almost 70. She literally only drove it to church and the grocery store and garaged it it's whole life. I was the third owner and sold it to buy my 70 'cuda from my Dad. I really regret selling it. Like, biggest regret of my life type of regret. I have the Landau top trim and know where to get an OEM brown snakeskin top but at this point, car being painted, I think it's too late to weld trim studs on the roof.

So, anyone ever see a brown 340 stripe? My wife is kind of thinking a custom brown, more to match the Saddle Tan that is on the dash. What do you think? I think the white is out. It's the wife's least favorite, mine too. Black is the leading choice only because I haven't seen, and can't visualize, a brown 340 stripe on a Sunfire Yellow car.
I've had five dressers two of them kind of goldish brown but never any of them with a stripe

I was also thinking about the dual snorkel scoop. Maybe even get a removable skin and black out the whole hood and do a “340 Wedge” decal, temporarily. I would love to do the Direct Connection duck tail spoiler but I don’t know if I want to drill holes in the trunk lid. That all would tie the black in together.
The brown or tan stripe would look neat too, I think. It would tie in with the dash that is Saddle Tan. Never seen a brown/tan 340 stripe either.
The white stripe ties in with the white interior but makes it look too much like a grocery getter. Not mean. However, it seems like the white stripe would have been something it may have came factory with.
Mine came with the Dual scoop on it and the Go Wing in the backseat( it came off my Brothers 71 Cuda) Brian told me the parts to Correctly mount it were hundreds of bucks at Year One.. my Chevy buddy told me just to screw it to the deck lid with some washers.. I went ahead and called the company that repops em Direct and got em for less than 70 bucks.... both of them were original and they both came black so I didn't feel like painting them White... I think the brown stripe will actually look pretty cool in your case if that's the way you go, if not,the white will definitely pop!

@GoFish is Doing A Ripping Job keeping Arthur's Ride going to the Next Level! Ps my Moms Brother was Uncle Arthur, Awesome Dude... Rest Easy Guys...sorry for stepping in like that.

Beautiful Man!

Thanks. It's not a Barret Jackson car and was never meant to be... It was my Dad's originally and it still gives him a piece of his car hobby life he's enjoyed his whole life and still does to this day.....

JW

Haven’t posted the (nearly) finished product yet. Got caught up in other things.

Lookin good!
Thanks. I thought the last 20% was taking forever. Then I got down to the last 10%!.
Pretty much just need to get the stereo installed, the door handle button sticks in, driver’s window has an 1/8” gap when rolled all the way up.
I also have some adjustable strut rods and Hotchkis/ Fox shocks I could throw on it.

Beautiful, Man! You got it Done Right! Arthur ( my uncle, Moms Bro, had the same name) should be Proud of You! Thank You for Sharing this!

Thanks. I thought the last 20% was taking forever. Then I got down to the last 10%!.
Pretty much just need to get the stereo installed, the door handle button sticks in, driver’s window has an 1/8” gap when rolled all the way up.
I also have some adjustable strut rods and Hotchkis/ Fox shocks I could throw on it.
That is a beautiful car !

Great colors and a fantastic job of putting it all back together.

Enjoy!

Cheers!

That is a beautiful car !

Great colors and a fantastic job of putting it all back together.

Enjoy!

Cheers!

Thanks, I couldn’t have done it nearly as fast without help from the community and it still took longer than I expected.

I had to track down a lot of things that were missing or slap wore out. Learned there’s a lot of 73+ specific parts. The want ads here really helped. Buying a parts car helped.

Probably the biggest achievement I can’t take credit for is the wiring and getting the window regulators sorted out. I bought an American Autowire complete wire set. While it was a pretty easy install all I see in wiring is a plate of spaghetti with different colored noodles.

When I got the car it was a painted shell with the engine and trans installed. Everything that WAS there was in boxes. The typical situation of tearing everything apart and throwing it in boxes. The FSM helped immensely.

The color is the same as the engine bay. It just looks butterscotch in this pic because the evening sun was orange.

Last edited:
I was driving by the lake and saw the yellow flowers and thought it would be a good pic.

D0464424-DADE-4218-90EC-D51D154BB3C4.jpeg

9A05B8E1-7473-41BF-8B59-42D11C0A32C1.jpeg

07D1BE6F-361C-4C75-819E-A3E672ECA32C.jpeg

E813D606-AFFD-4F44-927E-C65C29B256A4.jpeg

-
Back