Asking a couple questions-will my A body corner?

-
The biggest part of the Green Brick was the driver.

As far as a 24" tire, that's cosmetics. If you like the look of a short tire, go for it, I personally don't.

My stock tires, E70-14s, are just under 26" tall.

? Check that?
E70-14 tires should be about 25.3" diameter
F60-15 would be close to 26" diameter.

Yup. 225/50 - 15 is a good size for competition tires. Price, availability, and lower both the cg and roll axis while providing lower gearing on the course. It's still big enough to support the load of a 3200 # car.

Everyone has to find their own comfort zone. The Green Brick's biggest claim to fame was running the One Lap of America, at least twice very successfully.

? Check that?
E70-14 tires should be about 25.3" diameter
F60-15 would be close to 26" diameter.

Yup. 225/50 - 15 is a good size for competition tires. Price, availability, and lower both the cg and roll axis while providing lower gearing on the course. It's still big enough to support the load of a 3200 # car.

Everyone has to find their own comfort zone. The Green Brick's biggest claim to fame was running the One Lap of America, at least twice very successfully.

Just walked out and measured my E70-14s, mounted on my car. They are 25 3/4"-ish

Just about what CokerTire has them listed at (25.7")

A D70-14 or a 6.95 x 14 are about 25.3.

Point being...... Your basic a-body (not counting early A's) came with about a 25.5" tall tire and some people won't like the look of 24".

Meanwhile 85% percent of the people in this thread are too busy "disscussing" their points to realize that the OP now has a good solid plan laid out, as long as he strengthens his k-member and LCA's.

And to the OP, please for the love of god, don't be an idiot. Upgrade the suspension and do the V8 swap at the same time. Or at least do the suspension first and then transfer all of that onto your V8 k-member. Do you really wanna die while driving a car with several hundred pounds more of weight than the front suspension was designed to carry?

I also hope too, you will be doing this properly and using a V8 K-member and not some cheesy aftermarket mounts right?

I've got some Bridgestone Turanza's in 225/60/15 size on the rear of my dart and they measure exactly 25.5" in diameter.

On the front I have 215/60/15 Goodyears but because of the stock offset of the Mirada/Cordoba wheels and the lower stance on the car, these tires rub the fender lip when the body drops a bit on uneven roads while cornering sharply.

You can get plenty of different widths in 50's sidewall

I had 275-50-15's , 225-50 is narrow , i also used 265-60-15's, anything less than 265 is narrow

You can get plenty of different widths in 50's sidewall

I had 275-50-15's , 225-50 is narrow , i also used 265-60-15's, anything less than 265 is narrow

I'm looking for 255-50-15 can't find any . Only size I can find is 245-60-15 , would go 265 if they fit a 15x7 wheel and clear a stock 340 Swinger

Meanwhile 85% percent of the people in this thread are too busy "disscussing" their points to realize that the OP now has a good solid plan laid out, as long as he strengthens his k-member and LCA's.

And to the OP, please for the love of god, don't be an idiot. Upgrade the suspension and do the V8 swap at the same time. Or at least do the suspension first and then transfer all of that onto your V8 k-member. Do you really wanna die while driving a car with several hundred pounds more of weight than the front suspension was designed to carry?

I also hope too, you will be doing this properly and using a V8 K-member and not some cheesy aftermarket mounts right?

...has a good solid plan laid out, as long as he strengthens his k-member and LCA's.

It's not the end of the world if he doesn't strengthen/reinforce his K-member. As long as it is in good condition and not rusted around the LCA stud holes.

Do you really wanna die while driving a car with several hundred pounds more of weight than the front suspension was designed to carry?

So these drag guys that run /6 T-bars in there big block cars are going to die? There were many V-8 A-bodies that didn't come stock with sway bar. The /6 leaf springs could be weak. But the V-8 really doesn't add a lot of weight to the rear.

Sure it would handle better with the V-8 stuff. But the guy is not going to die. And the car will be drivable and safe.

I completely agree Steve.

I'm looking for 255-50-15 can't find any . Only size I can find is 245-60-15 , would go 265 if they fit a 15x7 wheel and clear a stock 340 Swinger

Even 245 is sometimes too wide for a 7" rim, but check what the manfacturer's recommended rim sizes are for that particular tire. (for example see the difference between what the generic charts said 68's specific measurements for the E70 Coker tire). My defination of too wide being distorting the tread surface and sidewalls, thereby reducing the potential maximum traction of the tire. That said, that doesn't mean a tire won't physically fit on a rim which could be another definition.

Re the original question of can an A-body handle? I recall a Car Talk episode long ago where they reported that a 68 Dart won a road course race for factory cars. I think that was against all manner of "sports cars", but maybe just U.S. models. Still, pretty good for what the public considers a "grocery getter". A bit hard to imagine without independent rear suspension and such, but then I understand that Porsche 911's also have a torsion bar front end.

I recently bought a Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo to satisfy my want for instant gratification so I have time to do it right. I'll probably do a V8 K member. I don't trust the mounts.

The first thing you did right is come to this Forum ! Alot of great People hear with "REAL WORLD INFO" not someone who read some artical in some mag. , understand? My Daughter and I have just started building a '65 Barracuda for Her (and me a good bonding experence) and they all have been a GREAT wealth of "GOOD" info. When you get around to building your "BABY" right, as you want it, and drive it, then you will not have to worry about seeing the same car that you have just purchased sitting across from you at the same stop sign, or Red Light! You will be a TRUE individual and the Car you have built is a extension of your personality. ETC. ETC. Good luck on your build. paulyV.100 and autoXcuda along with many others seem to be always happy to help people do it right the 1st time. Get back to building that Build ! LOL !
Good Luck & keep us posted! Tim (Dad) :happy1:

-
Back