AutoX/Road race in a dart??

-
Well that answers alot of questions. I really appreciate the info. Looks like the search for a complete ft end starts now. I definately want to run fat tires in the ft. Oh, The reason to tub in the back is simply that I like the steamroller look. I probably will just run 10" rims at first after the spring relocate, and if I find that bigger isn't better, I'll go back to them.

Thanks again, got to go out to the shop!!!!

Actually I was talking about the s.c.c.a. rules pro figure eights is run what ya brung hope you brung enough!Oh kewl I didn't know they had a rental deal,the guy that I was talkin to said I had to have a manual trans.I was mainly talking about the crossover breather on the valve covers so you dont blow out a rear seal in the engine.and I have used the moroso accusump before when I had and oiling problem in the middle of the cornes(even with a high dollar oil pan)I think in the next year Or two I'll try to go out for the "world figure eight enduro"in indianna I've been gathering parts to go all out with the mopar power
Just to clarify, the manual tranmission is for your figure 8 rules. To go out on a track rental day you can have any tranny.

I don't have an accusump or a crossover breather setup. Sure, it's a good thing, but don't let that keep you from getting started and going out. Most of the older cars we had for our track day didn't have those two things. They were fine.

Now, my road course skills and car are not at the same level as the Valiant who's driver is a track instructor.

Cool Figure 8 car waggin. I've seen Jesse James in the pits with us at our home track, Irwindale. They had a really cool 200 lap? figure 8 enduro last year? that Jesse put up like $10K to win. After we got our stuff put away, I watched the end of that race and it was awesome!!

Actually I was talking about the s.c.c.a. rules pro figure eights is run what ya brung hope you brung enough!Oh kewl I didn't know they had a rental deal,the guy that I was talkin to said I had to have a manual trans.I was mainly talking about the crossover breather on the valve covers so you dont blow out a rear seal in the engine.and I have used the moroso accusump before when I had and oiling problem in the middle of the cornes(even with a high dollar oil pan)I think in the next year Or two I'll try to go out for the "world figure eight enduro"in indianna I've been gathering parts to go all out with the mopar power

SCCA solo II Autocross does not have to have a manual trans. There was a stock class camaro 1LE that won a national campionship about 10 years ago with a automatic trans.

A track rental deal is when a private individual just rents the track for a open test session type day. Then he sells spots to private individuals for their race or street cars. They run in 4-6 run groups usually sorted by speed of the cars and driver skill (usally directly related). There is no heads up racing. Cars are not to race each other. The idea is in improve your skills, times, and car setup.

More info here:

Here's an exerpt from the www.alltimeracing.com website about thier track days (High Performance Driving Event: HPDE)

"These days our exciting events combine a range of drivers. From introducing newbies to the sport to having pro drivers coming to practice or to instruct. We keep our events small so we can be flexible to the many driver's needs. Whether it's coming to track for the first time, or bringing your team to practice for an upcoming race, we want to work with you insure you have a safe experience with as many clean laps as possible. Come and enjoy a very organized and well staffed events. We encourage a friendly environment without egos.

Experienced drivers have their own run group and will appreciate the fact that our events are kept small for lots of clean laps and many hours of track time, truly a bargain.

Newbies will find our events the perfect first time track experience with our many instructors and small run groups. Our instructors are chosen based not only for their race experience , but also because of their teaching, listening and assessment skills. They will observe your strengths and weaknesses"

i am planning on doing the same thing with my duster! i have QA1'S in the front already,rears are coming this week. i got a 1 1/4 firm fell front bar i have to get on and i ordered the rear from them last night. i installed weld in subframes last summer that seemed to make a huge difference in the car! talk to dick at firm feel,he will hook you up. his stuff is really nice and a great guy to talk to. i will find out this summer how mine does!

The spool mounts are inherently stronger, but with the right setup you can keep your k-member. We use the late model V8 k-member because that is the basis for the old Direct Connection big block k-member.

hey autoxcuda, i see your currently running 11.75 front rotor and want to upgrade to 13". is there really that much difference between the two sizes to justify the cost?? i just bought some used viper calipers from ebay and was planning on using the 11.75" rotors. i know they will be better than the stock '75 brakes but now i wonder if i should go bigger.

The bigger brakes are very important once the car is fast enough to need them. Speed is turned into heat and the faster you go, the more heat you need to get rid of.

Also, the bigger brakes can reduce unsprung weight while still have more rotor mass because they can be built with aluminum hubs and aluminum calipers. The factory 11.75 stuff is really heavy. Here is a 13 inch Mopar setup using custom hubs and rotors.
IMG_1588_400.jpg

Here is the same kit mounted on a B body car. Of course, it fits any A body car with the big upper ball joint so the body style doesn't really matter. In fact, I believe this kit eventually ended up on an A body road race car after I sold it.
DSC_0365_600.jpg

Years ago , there was a Hot Rod magazine floating around at work that had details about a Dart that a a pretty fair canyon racer, as I remember, the article was short on details, but a little poking around might help.

Here is the same kit mounted on a B body car. Of course, it fits any A body car with the big upper ball joint so the body style doesn't really matter. In fact, I believe this kit eventually ended up on an A body road race car after I sold it.
DSC_0365_600.jpg

But what's the minimum wheel diameter you can run with those brakes? I have a tough time finding wheels bigger than 15" that still look good (IMO) on a Duster.

I'm gonna be checking out this threads ALOT. I'm building my '69 Charger and will be building my '70 Coronet 500 for road racing and Autocross. The Charger will be more for autocross and road courses where the Coronet will be for open road racing.

AutoXCuda....the video "Cool video of Cuda showing suspension and tire movement". What motor is that Cuda running?

I'm gonna be checking out this threads ALOT. I'm building my '69 Charger and will be building my '70 Coronet 500 for road racing and Autocross. The Charger will be more for autocross and road courses where the Coronet will be for open road racing.

AutoXCuda....the video "Cool video of Cuda showing suspension and tire movement". What motor is that Cuda running?

340. It's Tim Herren's that runs www.alltimeracing.com

He coordinates the Spring Fling Speed Festival at Buttonwillow Raceway this year April 23, 2009. That is the Thursday before Spring Fling. Special Guest of honor will be Bob Torozzi Engineer/Designer: Dan Gurney '70 AAR Team (team manager also), 68 Hemi Super Stocks, NASCAR, AMX Super Stocks, '66 Trans Am Team, KB block...

Spring Fling Speed Festival 2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72p5vVwjRkk

Last year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w38ruXZiDHs&feature=related

More of Tim Herren's car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXtFmHCYDLU

Years ago , there was a Hot Rod magazine floating around at work that had details about a Dart that a a pretty fair canyon racer, as I remember, the article was short on details, but a little poking around might help.

Sounds like Tim Herren old Dart. There was an article when the new owner got it. Most all the stuff on it was done by Tim, even though the article made it sound like the new owner did most of it.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0406_1971_dodge_dart/index.html

Same as this car:

10200012.jpg

Hot Rod car with new owner

0406_HRDP_01_z_DART.jpg

I have a few shots of Tim's car at Portland International. Here is one.
5060544-fastturn.jpg

wykev, everything in the late models is HD stuff,ball joints ,tierod ends and, spindles.all just plain tougher.

Here is another shot.

I should not have found this thread.. :snakeman: I'm 10 miles from PIR. I've been around the track a speed* a lot, racing and bumping even. Hmm, my '73 Swinger has the 'right' K frame, and Firm Feel is right here in Vancouver! Oh, yeah, I'm in BIG trouble.

Ken

*OK, I was racing a BICYCLE at PIR which I used to do regularly. At speed is ~28-32MPH lap averages, otoh you and 35 other guys are racing fractions of inches from each other with nothing between you and the pavement but a little lycra. :D

Dont mean to hijack the thread at all(sorry only for a sec) but its my first post and its fantastic to find somewhere to talk about road racing in an a body! I have an Australian Valiant that i like to circuit race(as we call it down here). To the original question, Hell yeah road race a dart! We have a great platform to work with and an excellent aftermarket to buy quality products. I gotta say you guys have it easy there though. In the last half hour i've read more ifo about the subject than i have in the last 10 years in Australia. Well done on a great Forum! Frrom now on i'll be here a lot.8)

Thanks for all the great info guys!

After 15 years on hold, my 66 Dart GT project may find a new life. I've been road racing for the last 12 years and always had it in the back of my head to build the dart into a track day car. I got involved with CHUMP racing a few years back when Eggboy Racing recruited me onto their team after I finished building their cage in their Taurus SHO.

We've grown a little tired of the SHO's glass tranny (we're on our 4th trans) so we're looking for something new for '14. Enter the Dart. I've realized that I'll probably never get it back on the street as it's been sitting idle for over a decade so it might be going road racing.

We won't be running a LA or anything, we're sticking with the Yamaha V6 as it's proved dependable, decent power and SIPS gas (we can do full 2 hour stints with no problems) and we know it pretty well now. Probably a T5 over the 340/4 speed combo I had plans of using.

So, I'll be checking this topic quite a bit over the next few months as our plans start coming together. SO, while it won't be a high dollar build, it should be a fun project!

Tim's red 68 Valiant above. anybody know if his car is mini tubbed or has relocated springs?

I know he run 275/40/17 tires.

I'm sure the lips are rolled.

I sort of doubt it's mini tubbed. AndyF will know.

Does ANYBODY know how to "actually" get the article or other details on the green brick? All I find is links to teasers from the original article.

Anybody have this mag, can scan it? I don't expect it for free

Tim's red 68 Valiant above. anybody know if his car is mini tubbed or has relocated springs?

Tim's 68 Valiant has stock leaf springs in the stock location. He uses a set of my AR013 spring hangers to lower the car, that is it. The leaf springs are 40 years old. Off a 340 car.

Trick stuff in the rear end is the B-body 8.75 housing, adjustable anti-sway bar, DoctorDiff disc brakes, and Bilstein shocks. The leaf springs aren't the trick.

-
Back