avoiding hot tank fees

-

beebeeri000

Rest-O-Moder
Reaction score
hey i was wondering if there's any way i can avoid hot tank fees before getting my block bored. my blocks clean its just got a little grease build up on it that im power washing off.

Why?

We tanked engines usually min. 3 times when they where in the shop. You want that thing clean!

IMO, not a place to penny pinch.

No kiddin. The shop I use will tell you to take it elsewhere if you don't want it cleaned. Also, after boring or other machine work, it goes BACK in the tank.....or should to make sure to get all the metal shavings out. Not where I would wanna save a penny.

cause they dump all these fees on top of that , fee to remove cam bearings oh no we do that you cant do that, fee to remove freeze plugs, fee to install freeze plugs, fee to install and by the time your done with all these unnecessary fees its $175 for booring and then $300 for misc fees. you guys would understand where i am coming from if you were in college.

any shop should do what ever you want at least they do here .

One sure way to learn is have it bored and put her together and see what happens.Maybe we could learn to save a few bucks

cause they dump all these fees on top of that , fee to remove cam bearings oh no we do that you cant do that, fee to remove freeze plugs, fee to install freeze plugs, fee to install and by the time your done with all these unnecessary fees its $175 for booring and then $300 for misc fees. you guys would understand where i am coming from if you were in college.

The machine shop is in business to stay in business. They do that by making money doing machine work for their customers. I am not being a smartass when I ask this, so don't take it that way, ok?

Do you expect them to do work for free? What does you being in college have to do with them making a living? The simple solution is for you to save your money up and then get it all done properly. It sounds like you are wanting to get in a hurry and are trying to find corners to cut.

Lord knows nobody understands being in a fixed limited income like me. I have to do things as I can afford them. For about the last year and a half, that's been next to nothing. You work with what you have.

Can you not remove freeze plugs and install them?

We wouldn't take cam bearings out until after it came out of the tank. The grit on the bearings messed up the rubber sleeve on the installation tool. We never charged to remove, it was a base R&R cost of about $40 or so. Buy the tools, it's only about $250!

I was in college too, do it once, do it right, even if you are on a budget.

X5. Pay the price to have it done right. They do it that way for a for a reason.

I'm looking forward to paying the hot tank fee to get my block cleaned up!! It's a great feeling to know that it's been cleaned inside and out!!!

So, at the college you go to, what do they teach you, to give away work? Maybe you need to pay attention in economics class. It costs money to do any operation in a shop. Even lifting a block off the floor has an inherent risk, why should someone do it for free? It costs money to run the machines, keep the lights on, buy and maintain tools, etc. Just because they are doing something else you are willing to pay for means you should get the other services gratis?

Don't have the money to cover machine shop costs? Don't build an engine. Or, at least don't expect someone else to do it for free.

I went to college. I didn't build any engines at that time because I didn't have the money.

I charge a flat fee to remove cam bearings, freeze plugs and hot tank a block. I'm not going to put someone's grease covered block in my boring machine and leave lots of metal shaving stuck in the grease so some body can tell everyone what a bad job I did. When you get your block back from any good machine shop it should be ready to be washed with soap and water dried and install the new cam bearing and freeze plugs and get ready to build an engine. If someone wants some thing different they need to buy there own equipment and do it there way. Just my two cent

we have all penny pinched before to get by.
I have been in college before and i didnt take on big projects with no disposable income.

Either wait to do your engine build or find a cheaper alternative. aka junkyard scrounging.

I run a machine shop and every little item i touch will cost the customer my time. I dont work for free and i do not plan to.

This board is full of a bunch of diehard capitalists and thank GOD for that. LOL !!

my 2 cents

Hot tanking is a crucial step in the rebuild process. Not only does it remove metal chips, degrease the block so paint will stick and generally clean things up on the outside, it also burns the lime and scale out of your cooling passages so that fresh rebuild won't be pressure cooking at stop lights. If you want to economize, pick something else.
It will cost you twice as much when you have to rebuild your engine for the second time.
Do it right. If you don't have the hot tank fees, either wait and save up or borrow it.

So, at the college you go to, what do they teach you, to give away work?

Maybe his teachers are teaching him for free. :twisted:

Seriously, everyone has made several valid points, the most important of which is this is not the place to cut corners.

They hot tank that block for good reason(s).

cause they dump all these fees on top of that , fee to remove cam bearings oh no we do that you cant do that, fee to remove freeze plugs, fee to install freeze plugs, fee to install and by the time your done with all these unnecessary fees its $175 for boring and then $300 for misc fees. you guys would understand where i am coming from if you were in college.

Do all that yourself. If you're going to be into cars start buying hand tools for all the little stuff that comes up. Only pay for the actual machine work and hot tank or baking. Make sure you remove all the oil galley plugs as well and take note where they go for reassembly.

And after machine work spend extra time to clean the block thoroughly. Best way is a new set of brushes, a box of Tide, garden hose, and an air gun to blow it out afterwards. After it's clean spray any surface not getting painted with WD40 or equivalent, then chase all the threads and blow them out.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/61820/10002/-1

710-61820.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/80505/10002/-1

555-80505.jpg

Just tell them you're in college, they'll give a student discount and if you have good grades, they'll give you a discount for that too, and for perfect attendance. They're like chuck e cheese get good grades and get free tokens!

Do all that yourself. If you're going to be into cars start buying hand tools for all the little stuff that comes up. Only pay for the actual machine work and hot tank or baking. Make sure you remove all the oil galley plugs as well and take note where they go for reassembly.

And after machine work spend extra time to clean the block thoroughly. Best way is a new set of brushes, a box of Tide, garden hose, and an air gun to blow it out afterwards. After it's clean spray any surface not getting painted with WD40 or equivalent, then chase all the threads and blow them out.

BINGO..we got a winner best response on this thread:cheers::cheers::cheers:

you guys would understand where i am coming from if you were in college.

I built my first engine ever from scratch while in college at SUNY Oswego. I don't understand where you are coming from.

I remember beam polishing my rods in my fraternity house room. Yet saved up for ARP waveloc bolts and had them shot peened at Oswego Marine.

Like said, there are places and ways to save. Hot tanking isn't one of them.

The block has to be cleaned after the boring work - that and honing create all kinds of metal chips. These end up everywhere, so you will have to pull the cam bearings and all the caps and plugs to be able to clean all the gunk from all the passages. This MUST be done. It's not capitalism, it's not over charging - it's necessary process and if you were to argue it I'd tell you go somewhere else. It's not worth their time to then be accused of building a crap engine when it expires.

all good responses! if you stay into cars, you will want all the tools applicable for your car!! I guess you could pop out the old freeze plugs and save $5.98?? important thing is if you are spending the $$ for a rebuild is to have a good shop that does it all right, and yes charge a fair price for their, labor, expertise, tools, help, facility etc..
in 1970 I was so poor I had the choice of gas to get to class or eating out at Mickey D's when a big mac cost a dollar. I had 1 big mac that whole year. yes really!

-
Back