Axle seal leaking due to worn axle, need a fix!

-

Krazed

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has a cure for this?

I've been looking around the internet and found several possible cheap temporary fixes.

One being a Speedi-sleeve on the axles themselves so the seal has something new and flush to seal against.

The other was an Offset bearing, placing the axle offset one way or another? Causing the axle seal to ride on a different part of the axle.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I may find similar fixes for my 8 3/4 rear?

Curious if anyone has a cure for this?

I've been looking around the internet and found several possible cheap temporary fixes.

One being a Speedi-sleeve on the axles themselves so the seal has something new and flush to seal against.

The other was an Offset bearing, placing the axle offset one way or another? Causing the axle seal to ride on a different part of the axle.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I may find similar fixes for my 8 3/4 rear?
you have an inner seal on both sides inside the housing ,napa has these for $5 bux a side ,remove 5 bolts from axle,carefully set backing plate to side remove axle, around 8 inches in you will see a cheapo axle seal ,when reinstalling new one be careful not to bend it,do both sides, reinstall axle carefully, before sliding axle all the way back in put a lil rtv gasket maker around the axle flange, this will fix your problem ,hope this helps ps be careful reinstalling axle as the seal is like a transmission seal ,I use a lil rtv around the seal outer end for added insurance on the floor ,not all the way around, take care

if you had a bad axle or bearings the only way fluid would get to drums would be by bypassing the inner seal, which means you just have bad inner axle seals, take it apart like I said and look in there and pull inner seal, this is your problem ,

I had old Axle seals, which wore a groove into the axles.

I've replaced both my inner axle seals as of last year in an attempt to see if it sealed anyway. Everything still leaks fluid to the drums, there by soaking the shoes in gear oil.

This is the problem I am having, and wish to resolve.

You didn't mention which rear end you have, but I have used speedi-sleeves (which come in many sizes) on the 7-1/4" before with success. Problem with them is the cost, which is high in my area.

I'd say no to the offset bearing idea. That could cause problems with brakes not lining up. Either the speedy sleeve or new axles are about your only good choices. I haven't used speedy sleeves but I know several guys who have and they worked fine for a long time.

-
Back