B/C-body Exhaust Manifolds, why won’t those work in A’s.

-

migsBIG

Reaction score
in a nutshell, what issues come into play that keep from using b/c-body manifolds in a-body cars? Anyone have pics of the clearance issues? Is the column completely in the way? Have a friend here who wants to build a big block car, but has every part to do it except the exhaust manifolds and a budget that makes a paperboy look rich. Any info or possible pics of the issue(s) would be appreciated.

Depends on what year he is working on as the steering column changed quite a bit. Does it have power steering? Is he using a 383 or 440? B and C body manifolds have been used for years, but exhaust routing and column/manifold grinding will be issues.

If ur using a low deck it’s a pretty easy fit with manual steering. I like the 67-69C body manifolds for this swap. B body fit decent if u cut the steering column back. Kim

looks like this?

IMG_0852.JPG

in a nutshell, what issues come into play that keep from using b/c-body manifolds in a-body cars? Anyone have pics of the clearance issues? Is the column completely in the way? Have a friend here who wants to build a big block car, but has every part to do it except the exhaust manifolds and a budget that makes a paperboy look rich. Any info or possible pics of the issue(s) would be appreciated.

Here is a C body HP manifold on a low deck big block. It clears everything but not by much. There would need to be a little bit of grinding done to keep the steering column from rubbing against the manifold as it moves around. I don't need this manifold so I'll sell it if someone needs it. I do not have the matching passenger side, just this one driver side. I even have the stove for it if someone wants to hook it up to an air cleaner for the stone stock look.

DSC_1701 (Large).JPG

DSC_1699 (Large).JPG

Who said they won't fit? The 68 & 69 HP manifolds will even fit a low deck in an early A, with very little mods.

I have a set of B body HP manifolds for sale if someone needs them for a BB conversion. I was going to put them on my Duster but TTi made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

DSC_1698 (Large).JPG

Yea Kim informed me of that bit of wisdom awhile back. I'm interested in the hp manifolds. Hopefully the won't strangle my Mild,,, 451 build...

That’s great to hear, thanks everyone. For years I always heard that they would not fit thus why the exspensive header conversions seemed to come up in conversations. True that the stock manifolds could choke out upto 40hp, it was the budget way to get good torque and go from a junkyard grab-n-stab big block. If a lot more folks know that, there would have been a lot more ‘Cheap Street’ cars out there. I’ll take this info to my buddy and see what we can put together for him.
I’ll pm back in another time if I need more info. Thanks again for the tech!

Are those exhaust manifolds available?
Yes I'll sell the B body manifolds as well as the C body manifold that I posted pictures of. I don't have them in the for sale section at the moment but I don't need them since I ended up going with headers. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Miguel, you should have taken a closer look at my cars. Every one of them has run B-body HP manifolds...

Didn’t know that Jim. I’m isually stuck in my swap spot trying to huscle those nickels to keep my projects going. If things work out, my buddy may get me back into owning an a-body again.

305C321F-33D0-4A75-A103-0B7718EACB4A.jpeg

Both. First two are my son's 440. The next two are a 383 with AC and PS in a '67 Barracuda that I sold in 2006.
MVC-018S.JPG
MVC-020S.JPG
P1011301.JPG
P1011302.JPG

That's what I needed to know. Kim said angle milling them helps a lot. Can't be that much down on power compared to shorty headers. Thanks Jim.

Thanks Jim, I was wondering if you can put power steering on 440 engine? I'm about to clip a 440 complete drive train out of my 70' cuda and has everything on it already, making me really tempted in getting those cars for the swap. What exactly is the 1/16 angle cut on the manifold? Bonus/ negatives to doing that?

I have never angle milled any manifolds. Power steering should fit better with a 440 than a 383.

Sweet, thanks. Now that is answered, wonder how much weight I can take off the engine to get it down to a-engine weight (that will be in another post).

-
Back