B Jackson 68 Barracuda 383-S

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. Barrett Jackson has done more to drive the price of every muscle car part on the planet through the roof than any other single entity. They are nothing more than profiteers.

They have it down as sold for $69,300., that's with the 10% buyers premium.
That's an expensive Barracuda, no doubt it's a fine example.

yeah now all you guys are gonna want way too much for your cars. LOL
All barrett jackson dose is make people unrealitic about the prices of there cars. Most cars on there are nut and bolt restos no comparisan to half the cars forsale on here ebay or most sights where these type of cars are fosale.
come on lets be realistic!

I think they paid too much , very nice cuda but isn't that a dodge horn button on the steering wheel?

Those high bidders need to have a link to FABO sent to them so they can cry when they see some of these nice A-body's selling for $1500 bucks. whahhhhh!!!

It's a concourse rotisserie restored 383/4spd car........they said it was 1 of 900. Seemed like a car for a museum and it looked awesome on TV.

Price is only high for those not willing to pay it.....(myself included)

I for one was glad to see it go high. I am in the middle of restoring a 68 Formula S 383 car that is an automatic nothcback. It is all numbers matching with broadcast sheet, fender tag and will be a concourse correct car. The one that sold was 1 of 900 or so and this car I have is 1 of only 99. I guess if your wanting to sell a car right now it is a good thing but if your wanting to buy one it hurts. I am looking for some part still for my car. If anyone has or knows where I might could find them I would appreciate it.

1. NOS Fan Belt or correct dated aftermarket belt
2. NOS Upper and Lower Heater Hoses or correct aftermarket date coded hoses.
3. Any Nos exhaust pieces except chrome tips.

Thanks Richard
[email protected]

Nice car! They have it listed as a coupe instead of a fastback. I guess BJ doesn't know everything about cars eh?

By the way I have a 68 Barracuda Coupe with a 383 4 speed, Dana 60. It is VERY rare due to the fact that it used to be a 318 auto with AC. I should be able to get at least 80,000 for it being that it is so much rarer than that one...

I have found that the people that go to and purchase at the BJ shows, have more money than brains. Most of the time, it is to out do the guy next to them and who has drank the most alcohol

That is just stupid to buy that car for that much money!!!!! People with that much money to spend on a car that they didn't even turn a wrench on,and never will, ARE PATHETIC!!!!!! They need to donate that money too the needy. I like the dodge horn center on it. And sure it is nice. But $65,000???

I dont have the $ or interest in a show car but I apperciate a high level resoration. $65k actually sounds like a reasonable cost for the car if you have cash like that and dont want a comparable Camaro at $100k. I also have a (factory) rare car but I am not assuming its value is anywhere near that car's value.

Figure the restoration of a car like that at a professional shop (I may be way off but):

6 Months full time: 40 hr x 25 weeks = 1000 hrs x at $75/hr = $75,000 sounds like a lot for labor so, cut that in 1/2 = $37,500 + 10,000 parts + restorable matching # big block 383-S Barracuda $15,000 = $62,500

That was 500 under the gavel price if you add in any extras like transportation, food and hotels, etc... It might have been a break even venture.

The fact that it was a real BB Formula-S is the only reason the seller broke even (assuming it was not personally restored by the owner). A real 340 Formula-S would have sold for less, A clone of any sort, less and a 318 or /6 care less than that.

Thankfully we do this A-bod Mopar thing for the love not for the $$$.

So what's so wrong with making a profit on a car someone restored? A lot of these cars probably cost more to restore than what they got out of them.

I never expect to get what I paid to restore/customize any car I've owned as my cars are built for me, but if I do, is that a bad thing? If I put 6K into my Duster (not including labor) and someone offers me 12K should I not sell it because I should be ashamed of reaping some dough for my hard work?

Just wondering......

So what's so wrong with making a profit on a car someone restored? A lot of these cars probably cost more to restore than what they got out of them.

Just wondering......

:glasses7: True statement for sure....most of these cars cost of resto doesn't figure in the price of the "heart" that goes into them. Can't put a price on that.....last time I checked

I really don't have a problem with people who have lots of money buying stuff at inflated prices. More power to them but it is a fact that they artificially drive the prices up. I could not care less about a perfect factory resto. They are only good for looking at. I would much rather have a car that I built the way I like it....so don't get upset if I tub my factory matching numbers 69 340 4 speed dart swinger! :bootysha::-D

P.S. Ramcharger, love your Clay Smith Mr Horsepower avitar. I was in their shop last year.

I really don't have a problem with people who have lots of money buying stuff at inflated prices. More power to them but it is a fact that they artificially drive the prices up. I could not care less about a perfect factory resto. They are only good for looking at. I would much rather have a car that I built the way I like it....so don't get upset if I tub my factory matching numbers 69 340 4 speed dart swinger! :bootysha::-D

P.S. Ramcharger, love your Clay Smith Mr Horsepower avitar. I was in their shop last year.

Thanks Dave!

I was hoping they wouldn't send me a nasty PM telling me to remove it. The image is iconic. I'd really dig checking out their shop. BTW your avitar cracks me up lol!

I'm not into factory resto and chalk mark thing myself although if I stumbled onto something truly rare I would sell it and get the 6 cyl version of whatever it was and chop that up, lol. Their was a guy there this year from the Blackhawk Auto Museum picking up a buttload of cars. It's good that some of these cars will be preserved for our enjoyment.

Yeah, they rich guy golf club and english driving cap set do drive the prices up but think of all the electricians, carpenters, riggers, sound and data guys, waiters and waitresses, clean up crews, etc. that make dough off the show. This has to be a big boost to the economy and must employ tons of people. :)

Veru true.
Everyone likes what they like, and they are definitely putting a bunch of people to work!
I like smoking new Corvettes, Mustangs are too easy! LOL

This topic amazes me in that it really generates some strong opinions on how other people spend their money! I own and personally work an aircraft restoration shop where we do the same kind of work to antique airplanes as what was done to the typical rotis restored Barret Jackson car. I can personally say that most of those purchasers have great passion for the vehicles they are buying but don't have the mechanical skills to do it themselves but certanly appreciate what it takes to do it right. And , or they have done the math as was demonstrated by someone else and know that it's cheaper to buy it done than to do it themselves and thankfully they do the math and determin that a particular vehicle is worth spending their money on or I wouldn't have a business. their is a huge difference between a nice car and a show car. I personally am glad to see the values come up as it does a couple things, yea the parts prices come up some but atleast now parts become available as it is worth making parts that I couldn't even dream of getting not so long ago, and it makes saving that rust bucket that would have ended up in the scraper, which in itself has brought prices up. At least now it makes investing in our toys a little easier. Carry on, build what you want the way you want it and let the investors help you along the way!

That green fastback is one beautiful car. There was one exactly like that sold at BJ last year. Probably the same car. Sold for around the same amount of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back