Beat A Dead Horse Demon Suspension Recommendations

-

RenVill

Reaction score
The overall plan for the car is drop a 392 Gen 3 Hemi and replace the auto column into a floor manual. That being said, I'm attacking suspension first before all that.
My goal is to be ready for those upgrades and I would like the most complete kit possible to replace as much of the stock suspension parts as I can as well, including steering. I'd like this car to be able to handle semi hard canyon driving once in a blue moon but be a good ridable experience when on the street and freeway with the family in the car.

I'm looking at these kits currently. Please let me know your thoughts. I'm open to all suggestions.

QA1.jpg

80113.jpg

handling1_1_2_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1.jpg

REAR2.jpg

Pandora's box! And popcorn .

I have a 67 Dart. Full Hotchkis TVS with x4 Wilwoods. Borgeson box, 1.14 torsion bars, stiffened K frame, chassis connectors and torque boxes. Plans for an Ididit column.

It is about to get 340/416 and TKX close ratio 5spd.

If I had my time again re suspension, I would get a kit from Peter Bergman at BAC, or still get some Hotchkis with BAC. The Borgeson box is a WINNER.

Plenty will say the IFS and coilovers are great. Torsion bars etc are kind of the heart of the mopar in a way for me. 72bluNblu will chime in too, cheering for the traditional team.

All the best.

There's "not a whole lot" that the stock suspension cannot do. That said, we have a really good member who makes aftermarket suspensions and steering for our cars. @HemiDenny Super good guy. Here's his web site.
HemiDenny

The only thing you truly gain is header clearance with those kits and maybe more brake selection since its all Mustang II based. Lots of guys auto cross, drag race and drive hard on the street with the stock suspension. I guess the other bonus is the K frame can come set up for the Gen III Hemi but there are mounts for the stock K too. It all cost money and some times its worth the price but is it worth it for you?

The only thing you truly gain is header clearance with those kits and maybe more brake selection since its all Mustang II based. Lots of guys auto cross, drag race and drive hard on the street with the stock suspension. I guess the other bonus is the K frame can come set up for the Gen III Hemi but there are mounts for the stock K too. It all cost money and some times its worth the price but is it worth it for you?

Well, I'd like to weigh it all out in my brain so at this point, I'd like to know what the top option is to get what I'm looking for regardless of the cost then at least I have an idea.

I've been following some guy on YouTube with a red 70 Cuda 383 with hockey stripes, who changed over to some Hotchkis stuff, and I was appalled at the steering links. They were these cheezy links instead of the oem taper stud ball joints. He ended up not using the H/K uca's because they interfered with his wheel/tire combo. I was unimpressed with those H/K pieces. I strongly suggest checking out the videos. I think he calls himself "backyard hotrodder", or some such thing.

Well, I'd like to weigh it all out in my brain so at this point, I'd like to know what the top option is to get what I'm looking for regardless of the cost then at least I have an idea.
Keep in mind the fastest, most competitive mopars on oval track, road course or similar events are on torsion bars. The only thing you gain performance wise on those aftermarket Kits are header clearance. And a much emptier pocket

Keep in mind the fastest, most competitive mopars on oval track, road course or similar events are on torsion bars. The only thing you gain performance wise on those aftermarket Kits are header clearance. And a much emptier pocket
But what about getting it much more comfortable to ride in as well as have it ready for a gen 3 hemi?

More comfortable to ride in? You will never experience as smooth of a ride from a coil over setup. Mopar used to call there suspension "torsion air" for a reason. And a gen 3 can be bolted directly into a stock torsion bar chassis. But if you want some tube suspension, go for it. It's only money

More comfortable to ride in? You will never experience as smooth of a ride from a coil over setup. Mopar used to call there suspension "torsion air" for a reason. And a gen 3 can be bolted directly into a stock torsion bar chassis. But if you want some tube suspension, go for it. It's only money
I'm not married to a coil over set up, I'm open to suggestions to get to or near my goal.

And a gen 3 can be bolted directly into a stock torsion bar chassis.

Currently, a G3 takeout with a TR6060 won't work with the stock torsion bar suspension and steering due to interference between the starter and idler. But a guy on FB seems to have figured out how to adapt a BB starter to the factory bellhousing and flywheel to eliminate this issue so it might be figure out. Just an FYI.

..........my goal.

Which is WHAT, exactly? You've made it clear as mud what you're looking to do with the car. WHAT EXACTLY are you going to do with the car? Since you've not said, no recommendations here are correct. So my suggestion would be to start by clearly outlining exactly what your goals ARE.

I wish torsion bars alone gave me everything I was looking for....

I think you are selling them short if you think they can't. My car rides and drives just like my 2015 Challenger R/T did.

Based on that it sounds like you have already decided on a coil over kit.

Which is WHAT, exactly? You've made it clear as mud what you're looking to do with the car. WHAT EXACTLY are you going to do with the car? Since you've not said, no recommendations here are correct. So my suggestion would be to start by clearly outlining exactly what your goals ARE.

Below is clear as mud? I dont get it, maybe specifically ask what other info are you looking for to give a a recommendation.

The overall plan for the car is drop a 392 Gen 3 Hemi and replace the auto column into a floor manual. That being said, I'm attacking suspension first before all that.
My goal is to be ready for those upgrades and I would like the most complete kit possible to replace as much of the stock suspension parts as I can as well, including steering. I'd like this car to be able to handle semi hard canyon driving once in a blue moon but be a good ridable experience when on the street and freeway with the family in the car.

I think you are selling them short if you think they can't. My car rides and drives just like my 2015 Challenger R/T did.

Based on that it sounds like you have already decided on a coil over kit.
No, I have not decided yet. If you say your car rides and drives great, I doubt the only thing you've installed suspension-wise was the torsion bars but that's all I've been hearing so far on this thread. If you lay out exactly what you've installed then I can compare and contrast.

There’s a guy on B body that road races his super bee, I think he’s even using drum brakes, might want to go check him out. I like to reference him when people don’t think t bars can handle.

Below is clear as mud? I dont get it, maybe specifically ask what other info are you looking for to give a a recommendation.

To me, yes.

That said, you have no idea how many cars out there will do "whatever it is" you're wanting with stock style suspension. Good luck with it.

-
Back