Believe in the GM HEI ignition now?

-
I erroneously believed the statement would be taken in context of improved ignition performance.

LOL I realized the double meaning after I posted that. If you want MSD, and have the money, nothing wrong with that.

Sorry I ruined your cam, :D

I actually liked the way it sounded before also, but knowing why it sounds different now is pretty comforting.
Thanks for posting that.

personally i think it sounded like crap in the before video. sounds a ton better now. still has a little lump to it but its a healthier lump in my opinion..

shame you didn't troubleshoot the stock stuff to get a good comparison between stock and hei.

In my opinion the newer msd is junk. I installed the hei conversion and couldnt be happier. There was nothing wrong with my mopar chrome box but the hotter spark definately makes worlds of diffrence. Thanks again trailbeast.

This is the funniest thing I've ever read.
What's wrong with liking the looks of a msd. With the shiny red box under the hood you know the car is FAAAAAAAAAST.

recently replaced the engine in my 1986 dodge ram, thought I would check the ECU and I noticed it was date stamped 6/25/1985.... not bad I would think, so much for unreliable!

Does your ram have the lean burn ecu in the fenderwell or does it have the smaller older style unit. I think the problem most people are having with the chrysler electronic units come from the fact that they are not made to the higher standard of quality that OEM components have to meet. New made in china junk is exactly that made in china junk. I would prefer a good 30 year old original ecu to any parts store unit. The HEI units are still produced by factory vendors which means factory reliability.

Very Impressive. And that is unusual for me to say as you all know. I am a Must of Stating Doubt

Attachments

• DSCF0041[1].jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 504
  • DSCF0094[1].jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 503
Very nice lookin motor you got there ya old geezer.

While I promote the HEI, especially for those with points, I think there are too many variables to claim that HEI improved your idle. Sometimes changing the Mopar ECU helps, not because the ECU was bad but the ground screw got a better connection in the process. I am sure you also re-timed the distributor.

I prefer the junkyard, not just because cheap, but because that red/wht cable is a factory GM part that looks better and you can easily unplug. Someday, you can control spark timing via that 2nd Metri-pak connector, with a Holley Commander ECU or others that support the 8-pin HEI module.

I wouldn't run points for anything. My dad put the old Delta Mk whatever ignition box on all his cars before factory electronic came out. When factory electronic came out he (an electrical engineer by degree) would have nothing else. We had a REAL "lab scope" the old Tek 540 series mainframe with the Ignition Analyzer plug in and the pattern was so much better it was unreal. I have some of the old Polaroid screenshots and if I can find them I'll scan them and put them up.

He said, and I believe, that CD only really made sense if you could run a surface gap plug, as the outboards did in the seventies and eighties. There was an aftermarket surface gap plug JC Whitney soldm for a while, but AC and Champion never would make them for any automotive application. Traco used to run them in Chevies by getting a long reach type and turning the threads back on a lathe.

I was thinking about EDIS for a while, but getting a tonewheel on the crank would be too much like work.

When it was introduced in the early seventies the Mopar electronic ignition was the best in the world. I think the problem is that the third party ignition boxes now are not much good and also there have been substantial improvements in switching semiconductors, Years ago I depotted a Mopar box with the intention of tracing out a schematic and seeing if I could rebuild it, but it fell by the wayside.

When the 1993 flood happened they dumpstered piles of flooded parts from a local parts store and I scrounged the items I thought I could salvage. I got several HEI modules which were filthy and nasty, I soaked them in DI water and Tide, rinsed and dried. I have two of them in two cars running now and another tested spare in each.

What's wrong with liking the looks of a msd. With the shiny red box under the hood you know the car is FAAAAAAAAAST.

Does your ram have the lean burn ecu in the fenderwell or does it have the smaller older style unit. I think the problem most people are having with the chrysler electronic units come from the fact that they are not made to the higher standard of quality that OEM components have to meet. New made in china junk is exactly that made in china junk. I would prefer a good 30 year old original ecu to any parts store unit. The HEI units are still produced by factory vendors which means factory reliability.

it had a leanburn computer but the truck I took the 318 out of I also took the harness and ECU to go with it, thats when I noticed the date stamp

I was thinking about EDIS for a while, but getting a tonewheel on the crank would be too much like work.
My 65 Dart 273 is EDIS ready. I bought a wheel off ebay, paying the guy a little more to machine it to match my crank pulley. I made a bracket off the top water pump bolts for both a Ford VR sensor and a Mopar Hall-effect sensor. Haven't fooled with engine controls yet. Not driving the car yet.

Attachments

• 36-1 toothed wheel - small.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 417
  • Chrysler sensor - small.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 416
  • Ford EDIS sensor - small.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 426
I'm glad some of you are having good luck with MSD. Mine gave nothing but consistent problems. Might Suddenly Die might have closer to reality for my experience. Have never tried the HEI thing either but the Mopar ECU setup has always been pretty good to me...

I'm glad some of you are having good luck with MSD. Mine gave nothing but consistent problems. Might Suddenly Die might have closer to reality for my experience. Have never tried the HEI thing either but the Mopar ECU setup has always been pretty good to me...

The factory ignition is just fine, and very reliable overall.
The HEI performs better and is just as reliable or more so.

Based on the OP testimony I just bought one.

Thank you.
PM's returned.

When I convert my 1st gen TBI to 4 barrel and 2 wire dizzy, I'm definitely converting the ignition too! I have Hall effect now....

I do have the Mallory E spark conversion in my Duster and it works very well. It has been in it since 2005. I can't see running points again at all...ever.

When I convert my 1st gen TBI to 4 barrel and 2 wire dizzy, I'm definitely converting the ignition too! I have Hall effect now....

is that 1988-1991 style TBI on a dodge truck? if so would you sell the wiring harness computer TBI and distributor?

After running the pertronix kit on the /6 (and hated it) I built my own HEI for $25 with junk yard parts and loved it. I gave my buddy Joe a brand new chrome box electronic kit dizzy and all. Told him I didn't need it anymore and we swapped it on his duster in 20 mins (yarded off the pertronix kit on his 408 stroker). I like my HEI so much that I'm building one for my buddy dans 69 mustang and Justin's 69 dart.

Purists and haters remind me of republicans, they want everything to go back the way it was 50 years ago :eek:ops:

My 65 Dart 273 is EDIS ready. I bought a wheel off ebay, paying the guy a little more to machine it to match my crank pulley. I made a bracket off the top water pump bolts for both a Ford VR sensor and a Mopar Hall-effect sensor. Haven't fooled with engine controls yet. Not driving the car yet.

I like that a lot.

Purists and haters remind me of republicans, they want everything to go back the way it was 50 years ago

If I had a time machine and offered to send you back 51 years you'd take me up on it.

article-2279056-1798BC8E000005DC-475_634x322.jpg

Did you here the west coast democrat, Shoot them all let god sort them out, The hei from trail beast is dollar for dollar the best thing going.

-
Back