Best block for mild small block project?

-

busgods

Reaction score
Tried search but did not find a clear answer what would be the best small block to go with on a mildish engine project. Target somewhere around 400-500 hp, most likely stroker crank and hydraulic roller cam with alu heads on top. I'd be tempted to go with a 318 LA block since my 69 Barracuda has a similar engine on it already, and up here they are more readily available. Also if certain year models would be better for any reason, it would be nice to know it now at planning stage...

And no, I will not modify the original engine, just putting it up to shelve to collect dust. :)

Thanks.

You're in Finland. Whatever you can find will be fine with proper prep and parts. Find a 360 or 318 and go from there, or have an engine built and dyno'd in the states and then ship it over.

Yes, I know where I am now thank you. :) Sorry for not being precise enough with my guestion... #-o

So there are different small blocks 318, 360... And then different variations of those on different years. So, again, what would be the best block core to start with? As I've partially patched information up, looks as if earlier castings take more overbore, later have such novelties as factory rollercams... I'm sure there's differences in oiling systems at least some require less mods to really work? Right? Or are they all really egually good to start with?? Just trying to avoid a situation of buying a core and then some "wise ***" tells me that you really should have got the other one because its sooo much better.

And yes, getting a crate engine or order a custom one is one option that I will be thinking over. But since this is a precious hobby for me and I like to dive into this stuff full on, I'd bet I will be blueprinting and assembling the engine myself in the end.

what is "best" depends on several factors (parts availability, amount of work you are willing to put in to make it work, amount of suspension work you are willing to do to make it drive fine, amount of time and money you are willing to throw at it and so on)

i think the best starting point would be a 360, they are much more affordable then 340s, have more standard displacement and adapt to mods well.
get a roller cam as mentioned, had the heads machined to accept the larger valves and install some high compression pistons and your close

a forged stroker crank will get you there in a hurry, with torque to spare but that will add to the price tag

I have heard talk about particular years of blocks being better for all out race engines but for a strong street stroker any Mopar 360 will do the job. They are plenty strong unless you are using mega compression or using it for a 500 mile race at 8000+rpm then you should use a Mopar race block. tmm

In your case a magnum 360 block would be the best bet, should be easy to find out of a ram truck or van.....

"Best"is the one you can get easiest. 318, 340 or 360 all will work fine. All of the blocks were about the same quality. There is no "HP" block, really. As with any other engine build, more cubic inches will result in easier power. Since you are building a stroker, it really does not matter which engine you base it on. Although the 340 or 360 block will net more cubic inches, in stroker form any of them will suffice.

What's the price of gasoline over there? That might help decide what motor want and how you might want to build it.

Any engine is a good one to start with. Just have a good machinist work on it and take your time. Ask questions here and to your machinist. We have a few respected nationally know fellas here that can help guide you.

You power goals are not to demanding though it will make it easier if you start with a bigger Cylinder and stroke. There is also a huge difference between 400 & 500 HP

First off, thanks for excellent replys so far. 360 block seems to be peoples favorite it seems... What comes to gas prices, very high, always been. But with the mileage I'll put on my daily/streetracer/track car it's not really an issue. They say don't buy a Ferrari if you can't afford to change the plugs every now and then... :D

Most of the blocks are available up here since some people call us the Mopar country due to the huge amount of Mopars imported years ago. So there is no shortage of cores, and if it's not found here, yes, You guys in US have great selection of supplies no doubt. Heck, I just got my first Mopar from KS a few months ago. One or two clicks at ebay and here we are. :)

I'd say race block for my goals listed would be a bit overkill, so staying in the std factory block is the way to go. Stroking as much as reasonable since I will not be making a mad revving race engine. More like a big hp/torque all rounder...

Are there any advantages of using certain era blocks in terms of rollerlifters? They make the lifters these days for all blocks but are those on the same line when it comes to performing??

In your case a magnum 360 block would be the best bet, should be easy to find out of a ram truck or van.....

^^ what he said above, best small block option and readily available in about a bazillion trucks and vans! Factory roller cam, better heads etc. grab one, grab a Stroker kit and some worked up iron ram heads from Hughes and a matching cam, top off with an Air-Gap and appropriate carb and your basically there 450hp give/take!

...or just call Mike @ MRL, throw your checkbook at him and he'd build you a killer 500hp smallblock that's streetable, bulletproof and ready to drop in! ��

Hi,

i´d take a 5.2 or 5.9 Magnum and build a stroker with sth. between 4" and 4.25" stroke. This way you can have the OEM roller cam and the hp goals are not out of reach. You should be able to find a used Magnum block over there without trouble.

On the other hand you can do the same to a LA block, there are aftermarket solutions to get hydraulic roller lifters in the earlier LA blocks. Some of them already had them from the factory (i believe beginning end of the 80´s).

So it´s all up to you, i´d personally use what is already there.....use the 318 block with another lifters and a good stroker kit, get a set of ported cylinder heads, a cam around 240° @ .050", performer rpm intake and a 750 DP or 800 EDE and you´re there ;-)

Michael

Tried search but did not find a clear answer what would be the best small block to go with on a mildish engine project. Target somewhere around 400-500 hp, most likely stroker crank and hydraulic roller cam with alu heads on top. I'd be tempted to go with a 318 LA block since my 69 Barracuda has a similar engine on it already, and up here they are more readily available. Also if certain year models would be better for any reason, it would be nice to know it now at planning stage...

And no, I will not modify the original engine, just putting it up to shelve to collect dust. :)

Thanks.

I'm not a huge fan of the Magnum head. Though the Edelbrock head for the Magnum is reported to port out better over the Edelbrock LA head. The stock Magnum head. There not better.
The last years of the LA blocks are roller cam equipped.
92 & up for the 318 is a Magnum
93 & up for the 360 is a Magnum

Adding roller lifters to a non roller block?
Contact MRL here on the board for the RIGHT LIFTER to do the job.
Stroking the engine is the best way to obtain the power goals and do it easy & low reving. Which is a good idea.

First - no matter what you do - at some point, someone will come and say you could have done it better some other way...lol.

If you want a roller cam, either the 5.2 or 5.9L Magnums are the best to start with if you can get one. The blocks themselves should be sonic tested prior to any work besides cleaning. If they pass that, then you're good. You can reuse the factory spider and roller lifters with any cam you chose. And the heads are much more capable than all 318 LA heads and close to 340/360 LAs. The down side is retainer clearance but that can be made to work too.

My opinion is adding a hydraulic roller to a non-roller block is a waste of time and money. The difference between the engine cores is much less than the cost of buying the conversion parts.

The last 3-4 years of the LA360 (1989-1991) in Ram trucks had the roller cam, after that they went with the Magnum 360

Actually, there is an HP/HD block. It is the 340 TA of 1970 model year. Center main webs are beefed up for 4-bolt caps. Good luck finding one.

Stroking either a 318 or 360 should give you a good platform for a 400-450 hp streetable motor. I'd prefer something with a roller cam, but it's not essential to meet hp goals.

Early 360(71-74) had slightly thicker walls, 71-72 had j heads. After the mid seventies they didnt use the 340 casting, 0.40 overbore was it IIRC.

-
Back