Best bolt ons for a small block

-
I'm going to do a rebuild rather if it's a 318 or a 360. Will be increasing the compression, little more cam, stock heads with 2.02's for a 360 and 1.88's for a 318 comp valve job and back cut the valve's, headers and good dual exhaust system, have the distributor set up, will use a gm 4 pin module and matching coil. Gears, 3.23's or 3.55's. Will this package get me a decent performing engine or am I going the wrong way?
If you are rebuilding one, your budget is the limit. You will need all the components for it to work properly though. That's why my suggestion above is a good stopping point with a stock teen using bolt on parts.

Last edited:
How did this thread turn into a discussion about blowers and tunnel rams for the OP's mild 318 2 barrel he is looking at?

proxy-image (24).jpeg

He did say he wanted more torque for his 318... :rolleyes:

I will share what I did with a spare 318 I had when I blew up my motor last year.
Stock 78 318 long block
Summit K6901 cam
Stock valve springs but I should have changed them out.
Edelbrock Performer intake (LD4B if you can get one)
4150 Holley carb. I used a 750 but a 650 dp would be ok.
Stock 318 distributor with an FBO plate.
I stuck it in my Duster that already had Headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, H pipe, A-500 trans, 4.10 geared rear.
For what it is, I really am happy with it. It's a great way to make a stock 318 2bbl motor more fun!

Cley

I will share what I did with a spare 318 I had when I blew up my motor last year.
Stock 78 318 long block
Summit K6901 cam
I stuck it in my Duster that already had Headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, H pipe, A-500 trans, 4.10 geared rear.
For what it is, I really am happy with it. It's a great way to make a stock 318 2bbl motor more fun!

Cley
This is something like I'm wanting to do with my engine. You don't have to spend a fortune in order to have a fun car. I've seen a few 318's back in the day that ran strong and didn't have a fortune spent on them.

Going with a 408 would really increase what I'm wanting to spend. I don't want to sound disrespectful, but junking a perfectly re buildable 318 makes absolutely no sense to me at all. This is how guy's wind up spending a lot more money than they had planned
I totally hear you, the 408 comment was a tongue in cheek reply

All bolt on's, stock 1970 318 Dart
Ede Performer intake
Ede 600cfm
340 Hi-Po manifolds,
Dual exhaust, 40 series Flowmaster, H-pipe
Mopar Performance electronic ign.
2.73 peg leg
Little Sum ***** would burn rubber all the way down the street. :)

Picture 498.jpg

That's up to you. I think Halifaxhops on here can do that. Theres a place online that makes a drop in disc that sets the advance limits and such. I cant remember who it was though. Heres a basic schematic I made on how to wire in the HEI. It includes the coil to use, and the advance springs I'd recommend. The Mr gasket 925B spring kit recommends you replace only one of the OEM advance weight springs if for street use. I cannot remember which one since it's been awhile. I think it was the heavier one. But to leave the stock lighter one. For my distributor I used the GM end, and mopar end on the plugs and made a short adaptor so I wouldent have to cut the mopar pickups wires to use it. This short adaptor I used 3-1 shrink tube with glue on the inside, then bent it 90° before it cooled.

View attachment 1715825744

View attachment 1715825745

View attachment 1715825746

View attachment 1715825747

View attachment 1715825748
That's the best lookin GM HEI install ever. Most all the rest look like chit.

All bolt on's, stock 1970 318 Dart
Ede Performer intake
Ede 600cfm
340 Hi-Po manifolds,
Dual exhaust, 40 series Flowmaster, H-pipe
Mopar Performance electronic ign.
2.73 peg leg
Little Sum ***** would burn rubber all the way down the street. :)

View attachment 1715829043
Showoff. Dammit that's purdy. lol

Stock 78 318 long block
Summit K6901 cam

Cley

Nice job Cley. I did a similar job like that, (no cam change) on a 360. It scooted along pretty good. Just the simple stuff works for a driver. I did it a second time with a 318 with a cam change, headers and a gear swap to 3.21’s. It was a fun car.

Nice job Cley. I did a similar job like that, (no cam change) on a 360. It scooted along pretty good. Just the simple stuff works for a driver. I did it a second time with a 318 with a cam change, headers and a gear swap to 3.21’s. It was a fun car.
Do you remember what cam you used in the 318?

Do you remember what cam you used in the 318?
YES! I DO! It is one that I would not suggest or recommend, unless your going to build this engine with at least a 10.5-1 ratio and use 3.90 gears.

Don't overcam your 318 unless you are planning a bunch of parts to make it work. Duration @050 around 220°

Post #93/4. It means 114 LSA is a loser.
Yes, 109 LSA is better.
Reduce duration if you want a smoother idle/more vacuum.

In D. Vizard's SB chev book, he lists cam for various performance levels. Yours might be Quick Street. Guess what? From 302 up to 434 ci, each cam has the same 224 @ 050 duration. How can that be? The LSA is different & therefore the overlap; 110 LSA for the 302, 104 for the 434.

Yes, 109 LSA is better.
Reduce duration if you want a smoother idle/more vacuum.

In D. Vizard's SB chev book, he lists cam for various performance levels. Yours might be Quick Street. Guess what? From 302 up to 434 ci, each cam has the same 224 @ 050 duration. How can that be? The LSA is different & therefore the overlap; 110 LSA for the 302, 104 for the 434.
What cam do you recommend for what I'm wanting to do?

What's that comment suppose to mean?
When someone posts “This ^^^^”, it is in reference to the above post or quoted area they quoted. It is normally in agreement or just calling to attention the post or quoted area to offer a counter point or additional comment.

Yes, 109 LSA is better.

I s found that the 224 @.050 is about the ideal duration for a really nice street set up as far as a driver with respectable power returns. Of course the rest of the combo is responsible for what the final outcome is or could be. An engine with stock heads & intake will be low powered while a ported iron head and upgraded intake releases more power and a well ported head and intake offer the maximum return on power while all of the example roughly have the same power band. There is just more offered in the higher rpm band with better flowing intake and exhaust components.

Of course not all 224@050 cams are created equal. There precise timing events are different and will perform different.

@AJ/FormS
This is what AJ often writes about. The timing events and the meaning or better yet the inner workings of how the cam timing events better trap the air and fuel for more power.

The better your cylinder head flows, (more cfm and at what lifts) the more lift you can use to get the A&F in the cylinder and out of the cylinder.

-
Back