Best brake conversion

-

Hambony58

Reaction score
Hambony again, I want feedback on the best, most complete, and easiest to install disc conversion kit for my 65 dart GT project. Have looked at many different brands and need some help. I won't say price is no object because it always is ( for me at least) but I want to ' cry once' as we say in my biz, I will pay to have something that installs correctly. Thx,

I like the Scarebird setup. You buy their adaptor plates and everything else is over the counter parts from any parts house. Its cheap and works great. I have had mine for about 5 years with no problems and only have about $250 dollars in them .

Hambony again, I want feedback on the best, most complete, and easiest to install disc conversion kit for my 65 dart GT project. Have looked at many different brands and need some help. I won't say price is no object because it always is ( for me at least) but I want to ' cry once' as we say in my biz, I will pay to have something that installs correctly. Thx,

Nothing beats a mopar to mopar conversion. using later mopar part to upgrade your car. with that being said there are options.
1. mopar to mopar.= requires alignment and a good suspension to complete no machining required. can roll your own master for different pedal feel. you can usually find the parts to repair and replace any worn or damaged parts you have at you local autoparts store with few delays.

2. wildwood or ssbc ect... there are a bunch in this catagory= monster disc for super stopping power = requires different wheels the larger you go on rotors stock size rotors don't (and yeah you can get 5 on 4" pattern) requires good suspension and alignment also.
lots of options but the nicer you go the higher the price Cost is IMO less than the Worth of the kit. They are kits and easy ish" to install. I have had a couple of issues with the wildwood setup (not in fitment but in braking ability.) Wildwood support was extremely helpful but the problem was never resolved. After swapping to a different kit for the wheel bracket and caliper section part of the kit fixed it. The master from wildewood was perfect using either kit and was not changed (15/16 bore). I have not used SSBC in 8 years so can not say anything about their kits. Plus if the parts wear out you are out driving time by waiting on replacement parts unless they have changed their design lately.

3. scarebird conversion. does (might) require minimal machine work. If you have good suspension and alignment, but just want to either keep you 5 on 4" or go to 5 on 4.5 this might be the way to go. using your existing hub pay a machinist to drill the 4.5 pattern on the hub to give you the option to go to the BBP if you want to OR drill the rotors with the supplied pattern and stay SBP. no alignment needed but you do not get the monster rotors or Bling like viper calipers and what not. if that's what you are looking for it ain't here. just good brakes at a decent price. You can get replacement parts at ANY autoparts store near you for a long time.

three good choices

Easiest are ones that bolt on your existing spindle - Scarebird, Wilwood, SSBC, but only if originally 9" or 10" drums, and little advantage if you must change ball-joints anyway.

Cheapest of above is Scarebird, especially sourcing most parts locally.

Factory 73+ (A or F,M,J body) is cheapest if you junkyard pick. Cost about the same as Wilwood if you buy new (~$700 ebay kit).

I'd stay away from anything that uses GM calipers and multipiece brackets. That eliminates most of the low end stuff on the market. Its always better to spend more for better parts in this department.

I have the SSBC kit A153-2 on my 65 Cuda... love the stopping power... 14 inch Mopar Rallye's will fit... But I use and recommend the 15's... On my SSBC Kit for the A Body it came with both the 5 on 4 and 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern... (see pic) This kit was very easy to install... Just needs... the 10 inch drum spindles (that were on my Formula "S" anyways)...

Note: The caliper repair kit for this SSBC Kit is the same one for the 1967 Ford Mustang 390... Raybestos # WK518 or Centric # 14363021 or Dorman # D46356....

Still working great... 10+ years

Clif of Az. :coffee2:

Attachments

• ssbc.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 364
  • SSB10.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 348
  • SSB12.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 399
I have the SSBC A153 kit and it works great. I used the 4" oc bolts before I changed the rear axles and then switched to 4.5 afterwards. Nice option. The base level calipers are the 4 piston Kelsey Hayes from the 65-72 mopar A bodies. SSBC must have bought the patent and patterns.

The $780 price in post #10 isn't bad, considering you get K-H 4-piston calipers (post 8 & 9). However, I wonder about getting replacement rotors. Hope SSBC isn't using the inkjet printer pricing model - cheap printer w/ a paltry ink cartridge that costs $$$.

I like the Scarebird setup. You buy their adaptor plates and everything else is over the counter parts from any parts house. Its cheap and works great. I have had mine for about 5 years with no problems and only have about $250 dollars in them .

I have a Scarbird conversion in my 72 Duster and a 74 Dart setup in my 68 Barracuda. Not a problem with both of them. Still working great after 5+ years.

I have the Scarebird brakes on my son's 64 Val and no problems. I was wondering if anyone has used what the Wayne the Ram man sells?

I have the Scarebird brakes on my son's 64 Val and no problems. I was wondering if anyone has used what the Wayne the Ram man sells?

I use the scarebirds on my 9" AND 10" spindles. same bracket just flip it. still working great on the 65 plymouth after 6 years.
As for Wayne the ram man and his parts It would be sort of hard to use a "not in stock Item" on their web site
plus
there is a not so very encouraging thread on him.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=232274&page=2

take your chances but even one thread makes me worry.

I've never used any of the aftermarket set-ups so I can comment on them. I have and will continue to use the 73-76 disc set-up on any A's I might be converting (except the Barracuda which is getting the OEM Kelsey Hays).

-
Back