Best surprise, for a rock concert.....

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I don't do many.., seen Styx/ REO Speed wagon ..(Styx was fair, Reo wagon kicked ***..('04 -ish....).
To be honest, I got a chance , to catch Pat Benetar, live,96-97..... Damn, that lady ..can sing, and her husband can play good guitar...:) Neil Gerardo.... lucky dude!....
Share yours...:,)

Beach Boys
Billy Idol
john fogerty
rolling stones
George thorogood and the Delaware destroyers
zz top
neil young and crazy horse .
just to name a few

Beach Boys
Billy Idol
john fogerty
rolling stones
George thorogood and the Delaware destroyers
zz top
neil young and crazy horse .
just to name a few
That Billy Idol, is a surprise.. JimJim... ,Neil Young, and Crazy Horse.. There's a one of a kind.. Thanks ,for posting.... .

I've been going to shows since 1974 and currently work at an outdoor concert venue part time. It would be easier to list who I haven't seen over the years. I love live music!

the wife and I are going to see Brian Wilson Alan Jardine and Blondie Chaplin in Sept .

I don't do many.., seen Styx/ REO Speed wagon ..(Styx was fair, Reo wagon kicked ***..('04 -ish....).
To be honest, I got a chance , to catch Pat Benetar, live,96-97..... Damn, that lady ..can sing, and her husband can play good guitar...:) Neil Gerardo.... lucky dude!....
Share yours...:,)

A little musical trivia about Pat Benetar many people don't know. She began as an Opera singer but was convinced by a friend to try out for a rock band.

Also she has a very, very rare gift. She has a vocal range of FOUR octaves. Most people struggle to barely have three.

Aerowho?
I went for Mott.
There were strange things dancing in the corners in the shadows.
Atlanta Municipal Auditorium | rocktourdatabase.com
10/04/1973
Mott the Hoople (Headlined)
Aerosmith
New York Dolls
One concert at the Muni, there was a guy sitting inside Johnny Winter's speaker facing the audience..
Can you say deaf?
Foghat was always good there.
I was early one day to the Muni for set up about 5pm
There were these grungy guys on stage.
I figured them for roadies.
Then the grand piano started.
It was Procol Harum.

At the Omni:
Black Sabboth was loud and not to too impressive to me , live.
I wasn't impress with the Rolling Stones there either.
But Robin Trower on solo there was good.
Except he kept having trouble with this foot peddle.
Felt sorry for him. Real talent.

Spooky Tooth doing Stevie Wonder Living for The City.
I look up from the floor and see the vendors, who were "brothers" dancing in silhouette , in the upper level door ways.
Back lighted.
I guess you had to be there.

Humble Pie Steve Marriott was hocking stuff up and spitting to the side.
I was afraid of getting spit on.
Hot and nasty wasn't just an title
He wanted everyone on the floor by the stage to stand.
When everyone did, the rent a cop wanted everyone to sit back down.
Marriott sort of motioned like he was going to throw his guitar at the cop.

Eric Clapton at the Omni.
I was with on girl on the floor on about the 9th row.
Got VIP tickets through my usual connection.
Standing on our folding chairs during the encore.
When Pete Townsend comes on stage too.
I notice another girl trying to get pictures on the floor.
I think she had a Hasselblad.
Next thing I'm standing on my chair with her on my shoulders taking pictures.
We went out a few times.
She gave me a large color print of Clapton and Townsend together on stage.
She was a cinematography student.
She had an identical twin sister.
They lived in an apartment off of 10th street. (Bohemian area at that time).
Their father had a motorcycle dealership in Alabama.
If you are out there honey......

To heck with the Allman Bros.
I would have gone to this but Hydra wasn't there.
What good would it be?
Atlanta International Pop Festival (1970) - Wikipedia

Best version ever in the whole history of the world

220px-2nd_Atlanta_Pop_Festival_Historic_Marker.jpg

Last edited:
Back in the '80's ..........

(OMG!)

There was a small string of rock halls. Called Lamours. The heavy metal/hardcore/punk hall was in Brooklyn New York. The rock hall was in Queens New York. For a short time, they opened up Lamour Far East some 50-ish miles out on Long Island.

To make a smash debut, opening night had Queensryche and the stage was a mere 3 feet in height. A very personal and up close show experience with Geoff looking and talking to you!

I was pounding the stage with my hammer fist and mistakenly hit Geoff left foot. "OOOWW! Man that hurt!"
Again, sorry Geoff.

He was totally cool with it.

Other Ace surprises were Metallica, Wasp at Lamours Brooklyn.

Murphy's Law at the Ritz was SICK!

The most violent *** kickin metal show was Pantera at the Nassau Colosseum.
WHHHOOOOOOOOOAAAA!

I met Ozzy (scary weird and scary)
Gezzer Butler & his wife and friend. Whoa! Way cool Dude.
Zac his guitarist and drummer (sorry, I forget his name)
They were real easy going down to earth fellas.

Those were the best and most memorable shows.
Best Meet and greets were Gezzer, Zac & Geoff Tate.

Most awesome time meeting a rock star?
Eric Carr (God rest his sole) of KISS

My friend dared me to get his autograph because he was chicken ****. So I just walked up to him, confirmed who he was and asked if I can have his autograph for "My chicken ****" friend. I got the graph, said thanks, started &
To walk away.

He said "Hey!" I turned around saying "I figured you would want to get backnt the chicks! (Only a dozen of them.. LOL)

He waved his hand in the air blowing off the notion and invited me over and we drank together for about an hour. Got tanked some more. Talking to him was as easy as a red hot butter knife falling through room temp soft butter.

That fella my FABO clan was one genuine awesome man!

My favorite concert was Metallic 1988 at the Philly Spectrum. 2nd row center stage seats. Until the seats got tore down. I didn't participate but the Cult opened and got boo-ed offstage along with flying chairs. Metallica put on a kickass show.

Metallica several times w/ Motorhead, Metalchurch
ZZ top
Crue

the wife and I are going to see Brian Wilson Alan Jardine and Blondie Chaplin in Sept .
A little musical trivia about Pat Benetar many people don't know. She began as an Opera singer but was convinced by a friend to try out for a rock band.

Also she has a very, very rare gift. She has a vocal range of FOUR octaves. Most people struggle to barely have three.
Oh , yes ..she does...;)

My favorite concert was Metallic 1988 at the Philly Spectrum. 2nd row center stage seats. Until the seats got tore down. I didn't participate but the Cult opened and got boo-ed offstage along with flying chairs. Metallica put on a kickass show.

Metallica several times w/ Motorhead, Metalchurch
ZZ top
Crue[/QU
Seen ZZ four times... The smaller the show, the more bluesy ,...and intimate the music selection gets... To hear them covering Hendrix, is surreal......
Love the Cult, ....amazing enough..never thought about them live....

Back in the '80's ..........

(OMG!)

There was a small string of rock halls. Called Lamours. The heavy metal/hardcore/punk hall was in Brooklyn New York. The rock hall was in Queens New York. For a short time, they opened up Lamour Far East some 50-ish miles out on Long Island.

To make a smash debut, opening night had Queensryche and the stage was a mere 3 feet in height. A very personal and up close show experience with Geoff looking and talking to you!

I was pounding the stage with my hammer fist and mistakenly hit Geoff left foot. "OOOWW! Man that hurt!"
Again, sorry Geoff.

He was totally cool with it.

Other Ace surprises were Metallica, Wasp at Lamours Brooklyn.

Murphy's Law at the Ritz was SICK!

The most violent *** kickin metal show was Pantera at the Nassau Colosseum.
WHHHOOOOOOOOOAAAA!

I met Ozzy (scary weird and scary)
Gezzer Butler & his wife and friend. Whoa! Way cool Dude.
Zac his guitarist and drummer (sorry, I forget his name)
They were real easy going down to earth fellas.

Those were the best and most memorable shows.
Best Meet and greets were Gezzer, Zac & Geoff Tate.

Most awesome time meeting a rock star?
Eric Carr (God rest his sole) of KISS

My friend dared me to get his autograph because he was chicken ****. So I just walked up to him, confirmed who he was and asked if I can have his autograph for "My chicken ****" friend. I got the graph, said thanks, started &
To walk away.

He said "Hey!" I turned around saying "I figured you would want to get backnt the chicks! (Only a dozen of them.. LOL)

He waved his hand in the air blowing off the notion and invited me over and we drank together for about an hour. Got tanked some more. Talking to him was as easy as a red hot butter knife falling through room temp soft butter.

That fella my FABO clan was one genuine awesome man!
Never saw Pantera, serious ball kicking rock! Saw Queens on a short show ztage ..Geoff Tate CAN HIT HIGH NOTES:)
Eric Carr (R.I.P
....:(.....) Was a fellow N.Y. brother for you, never heard, a bad word... Blackie Lawless , from W.A.S.P.? Hard workin' dude,... he busts , his gonads.. Thanks, for posting .Rob.....

.38 Special was playing the Friday before NASCAR weekend. All three Wallace brothers were front and center.

Third Day concert at a local arena. I remember the place was packed with church youth groups. Third Day played one of their "anthem" songs and all these teenagers were holding up glow sticks. I shrugged, reached into my pocket, and lit up my Bic. All the sudden I hear about twenty teenagers around me thinking it was cool that I brought a real lighter. Lol

We'll see if it pans out or not, but Karli and I want to make it to Kingdom Bound this year. Three day event, but we'll go up for one day.

Line-Up - kingdombound.org

I work in the business so I have trouble remembering all the bands I've seen. I'm working now in semi-retirement I suppose at the local university fieldhouse. They book shows during the school season and the last one was Def Leppard/Poison/Tesla. I spent a significant chunk of my life working as road manager/lighting director for a band from Wisconsin, and also worked pro for Local 470 who covers greater NE Wisconsin. And when locals 251 (Madison) and 18 (Milwaukee) called for help, I was the one who got sent. This was not just music but theater as well.

Off the top of my head, the biggest surprise for a show I paid to see was Band Camp, a day long fest in Madison. I went to the first one in 2004, with Earshot, Dropbox, Drowning Pool, Damageplan, Dope and Saliva for the headliner. Dope was the surprise. They blew everyone else away, hands down.

I don't remember the year-maybe 1999 or 2000-but the biggest surprise for a show I worked was Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I worked monitors & backline for that show and for the show call I was to remain with the monitor tech and help him if he needed it. What I ended up actually doing was sitting on a road case just off stage left next to the tech for an outstanding view of the show. They weren't real big back then so the audience didn't know what they were in for besides a Christmas show, but we all sure as hell did when it was over.

tso1.jpg

Ken

It sounds awful, but I just wont spend money to go to a concert. While I was in the Army, the USO spoiled me to free concerts.
America. Saw them and they were surprisingly great.
Hank Williams Jr. Awesome!
I saw Johnny Cash while I was in the Army too. That was a great show. He had his wife June Carter Cash and his daughter Carlene Carter also. They made a great show awesome! He really went all out!
I've also seen Yes, Joan Jett, Cheap Trick, Charlie Daniels and the Police.
They were all good.
The one concert that I saw that I absolutely did not like and actually got up a left was .38 Special.
I realize it was a USO gig and it was a freebie, but they were just god awful! Falling over drunk when they came on stage, couldn't finish a song and just generally sucked.
I wasn't the only ones leaving and they saw it. Started yelling at people, that turned me off to them.

Saw Peter Frampton in a small Portland club back in the early 90s. He was Fantastic.

One of the absolute best shows I have ever seen was Neil Diamond. I have never been surrounded my so many middle aged women ready to get naked.

I work in the business so I have trouble remembering all the bands I've seen. I'm working now in semi-retirement I suppose at the local university fieldhouse. They book shows during the school season and the last one was Def Leppard/Poison/Tesla. I spent a significant chunk of my life working as road manager/lighting director for a band from Wisconsin, and also worked pro for Local 470 who covers greater NE Wisconsin. And when locals 251 (Madison) and 18 (Milwaukee) called for help, I was the one who got sent. This was not just music but theater as well.

Off the top of my head, the biggest surprise for a show I paid to see was Band Camp, a day long fest in Madison. I went to the first one in 2004, with Earshot, Dropbox, Drowning Pool, Damageplan, Dope and Saliva for the headliner. Dope was the surprise. They blew everyone else away, hands down.

I don't remember the year-maybe 1999 or 2000-but the biggest surprise for a show I worked was Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I worked monitors & backline for that show and for the show call I was to remain with the monitor tech and help him if he needed it. What I ended up actually doing was sitting on a road case just off stage left next to the tech for an outstanding view of the show. They weren't real big back then so the audience didn't know what they were in for besides a Christmas show, but we all sure as hell did when it was over.

View attachment 1715062853
In a related story, Paul O'Neil of Trans-Siberian Orchestra, has a home in Tampa Palms area of Tampa. When I was stationed at Station 20 and a Driver for Tampa Fire Dept, we went on a call to his house to tend to his wife who if I remember had a seizure. This was like 2008 Paul was so grateful he tried to pay us which of course we couldn't accept. So he asked if he could donate to a charity for us, we told him about Camp Hopetake which is a charity Tampa Fire spear heads for children that have been injured by fire. He wrote a check for $10,000.00 on the spot! He died April 5 2017 of drug overdose. RIP!
Ken

Some of the really good ones i have seen in the last 10ish years in no particular order were:
Dr. Hook
Alice Cooper
Prism
Bachman-Turner (Overdrive)
April Wine
Stampeders
Lighthouse
Nick Gilder
Trooper
Loverboy

The one that left the biggest impression on me was Ray Sawyer of Dr. Hook.
He really belted out the tunes and sounded perfect even though he was in his mid '70s at the time!
In a 2 hour show, he only took a 10 minute break and he even signed an old Dr. Hook album i had with me in that time.
Awesome guy.........

My first concert was a superjam in 1982. 16 at the time and it was a great lineup. Van Zant was in a full leg cast at the time hopping all over the stage. .38 Special and Loverboy dominated the show.

13510759_10157058063630463_5053130851040398859_n.jpg

This is from the 70's till now.
David Bowie 5 times
Iggy Pop 3 times
Lou Reed
Elvis Costello
ZZ Top 2 times
Alice Cooper 3 times
10 years after
Pink Floyd
Chuck Berry
Jerry lee lewis
Devo
George thorogood 3 times
Jethro Tull
Gentle Giant
Black Oak Arkansas
Edgar Winter
Johnny Winter
Elton John
The Cars
Led Zeppelin
Oingo Boingo
Bob Dylan
Warren Zevon
That's all I can remember for now.

Last edited:
I went to so many in the 80's and early 90's But I really don't go anymore don't care much for the atmosphere nor the high prices they charge. However, last year I took my son to see Ace Frehley and he really enjoyed it.

jj ace.jpg

Saw Peter Frampton in a small Portland club back in the early 90s. He was Fantastic.

One of the absolute best shows I have ever seen was Neil Diamond. I have never been surrounded my so many middle aged women ready to get naked.
seen Frampton live , at the local state fair, 15 years ago... Just, an amazing show.... The man, is an incredible musician...

I went to so many in the 80's and early 90's But I really don't go anymore don't care much for the atmosphere nor the high prices they charge. However, last year I took my son to see Ace Frehley and he really enjoyed it.

View attachment 1715063172
Ace Frehley ,is my hero... Search member "AlleyOop" , here... He posted everything "Space Ace"....concert wise, solo...

My favorite was probably Tool for undertow
NIN always puts on a good show seen a bunch of times glad I got to see Kurt before he lost his head.

If I could go back in time The Doors would be the one id want to see.

-
Back