Best Western I've ever seen

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
and I'm not even done watching it.

Was in the thrift store and picked up a VHS copy of "The Man who shot Liberty Valance", in BLACK AND WHITE, with John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Lee Marvin as the awful, the terrible, the criminal Liberty Valance, and Andy Devine as the town drunk gutless non-gun town marshall.

I don't know HOW I never didn't see this incredible work over the years.

It is just one more illustration of why people like Vin Diesel should be prevented by Federal Law from every acting in anything.

Yeah, that's a goodun. Got it on DVD. You ever seen The Searchers? That's even better. Wayne always said that was his favorite of all time.

John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Lee Marvin. How could you go wrong? The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is one of my all time favorites.

Don't forget a young Lee Van Cleef as one of Liberty's "yes men"

MV5BMTY0ODU1NjY5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTI0NzEyMw@@._V1._SY314_CR108,0,214,314_.jpg

John Carradine

MV5BMTI2MDcyMjkzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzY1MzI2._V1._SY304_CR118,0,214,304_.jpg

and of course Vera Miles.

MV5BMTgwOTY2MTk4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTAwNjYwNA@@._V1._SY314_CR15,0,214,314_.jpg

This thing had a cast of characters that reads like a Horrywood party

Hell I see this came out in '62, I was only 14 at the time. We MAY NOT have had our TV at that time.

One of the all time classics. The proof is in how many times you see the basic theme repeated in movies made after. Very few westerns have hit the mark in recent times.
Maybe Silverado or Quigley Down Under. To some extent or another Sam Peckinpah changed how western were made.

I just now finally saw Crossfire Trail. Thought that was pretty good.

That's based on a Louis L'Amour book? (Amazingly, I don't think I've seen it). Tom Selleck and Sam Elliott have brought his books to film rather well.

OK, now I feel really lame. I have Crossfire Trail. Still in the wrapper.......

I dunno: Maybe I'm not old enough, but *some* of the new stuff is pretty tough to beat. You guys need to get out more:

The remake of True Grit is incredible.

Have you seen Appaloosa? Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen. Pretty damn good.

Older recent stuff:
Unforgiven is right up there also. I don't know about the whole movie but Val Kilmer rocked in Tombstone. If its gotta be an older movie, my money is still on Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

No I take it all back: No Country for Old Men is the top, but its not set in the 1880s so it might not count for some folks. If you take the more modern setting out of it though, its 100% Western and Western themes.

and I'm not even done watching it.

Was in the thrift store and picked up a VHS copy of "The Man who shot Liberty Valance", in BLACK AND WHITE, with John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Lee Marvin as the awful, the terrible, the criminal Liberty Valance, and Andy Devine as the town drunk gutless non-gun town marshall.

I don't know HOW I never didn't see this incredible work over the years.

It is just one more illustration of why people like Vin Diesel should be prevented by Federal Law from every acting in anything.

Yes, "The Man who shot Liberty Valance", that's an excellent move. Another good western in a similar vein is High Noon, with Gary Cooper. The town's people refusing to help the Sheriff when a small band of outlaws return to take revenge. More drama, than the shoot 'em up stuff.

I enjoyed The Quick And The Dead ( Gene Hackman fan ).
and Tombstone.

I enjoyed The Quick And The Dead ( Gene Hackman fan ).
and Tombstone.

Interesting side note on The Quick And The Dead.
Sam Raimi has a 73 Olds that's affectionately called "The Classic". It's in every movie he makes. It's in that movie disguised as a wagon.

I grew up watching all the Saturday morning "B-movie" westerns on TV and have always enjoyed a good western. All the one's mentioned so far are enjoyable movies. I love anything done by the Duke, John Wayne.
But don't forget The Magnificent Seven which first came out 51 years ago with Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, James Coburn, Robert Vaughn, Brad Dexter, Horst Buchholz and Eli Wallach. Great musical score by Elmer Bernstein - later used for Marlboro cigarette commercials. Although a great western, it was based very closely on Akira Kurosawa's movie, Seven Samurai, that was released in 1954 and based in 16th-century Japan.

Hey.....Thanks for the tip !

Nothing like a good western. Hopefully they can start making more.

How many times can you watch a robot kill another robot ?

Hey.....Thanks for the tip !

Nothing like a good western. Hopefully they can start making more.

How many times can you watch a robot kill another robot ?

Well you got cowboys VS Aliens to look forward to. Not sure what to think of that one.

I always liked Clint Eastwood and the man with no name. Some good movies.

Well you got cowboys VS Aliens to look forward to. Not sure what to think of that one.

I always liked Clint Eastwood and the man with no name. Some good movies.

I'm with you, brother. I'm a huge Sci-Fi fan, Serenity is on my all time favorite list (definately a space western). I'm just not sure what to think on this Cowboys vs Aliens. Every part of me wants to throw up just a little bit in my throat. Then again, you look at the cast and say "Dang".

Free Range is one I recently pulled from the $5 bin at Walmart.

My favorite John Wayne is War Wagon. (this month on This TV)

Some of those short B&W Duke movies suck. You know the 20 on one DVD? :mrgreen:

Liberty Valance was great!

I'm hung on Silverado, watch it everytime its on.
Lonesome dove was good but the book (as always) was much better.
...and almost anything with John Wayne is cool, especially the last movie he made, I think it was called The Shootist.

-
Back