BIG blocks and 8 3/4 dont go, lol

-
well the new 489, with strang spool,M/W Billet Caps and richmond Pro gears seem to be holding up to a few hard passes! well see !!!!!!!! moser axles didn't even get a nick in them :)

The old one had many many street miles and pass's on them before it went,so yes it was set up right just weak caps finally went bye bye,also that was by far the best pass(60' and 1/8 ) when it let go, It was also the first time I went ALL OUT HARD on her !

Hey Tim, sounds like the right parts in there now. For surely the "Pro Gears" from Richmond will add life. Not like them hard *** street gears.

Hey Rumble

testing on sunrise saturday,come down ! also going to Atco Monday,have a rental, come down for that to..... going to give the rear a good amount of abuse....... we'll see !!

We'll see what the weather brings. What time?
ATCO is out of the question though.
Make sure somebody gets video of it all.

DanaVS875.jpg

looky looky , broken gear and non broken caps .

The teeth on he gear are the weakest link .

yes there is;better gears. the company that makes gears uses the same steel for all gears so if the grears break they break in any rear. The trick to a 8 3/4 is good parts and setup. the picture of the broken rear looks to me he has a spring pos in it.How long did it last befor it broke, what case was he using and most of all was it setup right.the video I seen if the 8 3/4 had the correct on it could handle all that car could give it.There aer three differant 8 3/4 rears don,t condemn 8 3/4s when you are using the wrong one or the wrong parts.

No **** , who ever is responsible for putting that piece of crap CONE TYPE in there needs their head examined .

It looks to me (looking at the the that are not broken... that the ring gear failed first. The wear surface of the teeth look like crap. I'd bet the teeth broke after getting hot at the end of the run. The ones I've seen with cap issues had much worse damage and did it right as the power was applied in 1st of second. BTW, you should also pull the trans and check the sprague for damage.

I put 640 hp to rear wheels & run 9.60 in a 3200 pound car The 8 3/4 is fine i put alum main caps .. Only cost $500 with caps included Thats a machine shop doing it Dana are just more weight

No. HD truck danas have full floating axle bearings and axles. So they need to have the axle ends cut off and std pass car flanges welded on, then new axles, and you still have no provision for pinion snubber for those that like them. The best way to get a pas car dana now if you are racing is brand new, made to order. Instead of buying a core, then repalcing everything (or most things).

My 8.75 lasted about half a season at the track . It was a fresh rebuilt 742. Of course , it grenaded on the starting line in the semi-final round .....:angry7:

I went Dana 60 . No more worries. :read2:

what about a ford 9 inch? it would be nice to keep the easy gear swap aspect of a center section rear.

if i could do my car over that is the only thing i would change. for what it cost to re-build a 8.75 rear, i could have bought a mail order 9 inch.

I guess the thing is to know when to upgrade. I think most guys (me, anyways) build stuff not realizing they may be making more power sooner than they think. Plus the cost factor...........

what about a ford 9 inch? it would be nice to keep the easy gear swap aspect of a center section rear.

if i could do my car over that is the only thing i would change. for what it cost to re-build a 8.75 rear, i could have bought a mail order 9 inch.

then you would be slower , the 9" uses MORe hp to turn by design , the GOOD 9" stuff is MORE expensive than the dana

Traction and horsepower will do that.

Folks, let's not forget that most of those SS/DA and SS/EA Hemi "E" bodies all came with and most ran the 8 3/4 rear. Also the SS/FA and SS/GA 440 cars! Those guys were in the high 9's and low 10's 20 years ago!
Back in the late 70's Jim Kinnett made a 12 bolt live in his SS/AA Barracuda for MANY passes. They can be made to live.

then you would be slower , the 9" uses MORe hp to turn by design , the GOOD 9" stuff is MORE expensive than the dana

The HP difference is so miimal it's almost not worth even mentioning or typing it. The weight diff is very small as well.

wagonmaster, your 100% right, This particular Dart is not a stripped down race version like the ones you mentioned. And such the debate on the rear is where this all comes from, OH, welcome aboard.

-
Back