big tire 66

-

RustyPlymouth

Reaction score
any tips or tricks to fitting something bigger than a 245 rear tire without it rubbing. i have rolled the lip in the back but it rubs up in the fenderwell. i have 235's on my valiant now and they rub when i take a hard turn and i have to keep the back jacked up to keep them from rubbing. im not looking to tub it out but i would like to be able to fit at least a 255. fwiw im running 15x7 cop car rims.

Do you have a 7 1/4 rear?Having an 8 3/4(narrower than 7 1/4 I believe)might give you that little bit extra.Either that or do the 3 inch minitub.

245-60-14's on mine on an old style set of chrome reverse rims. They don't rub anywhere, but I couldn't go any bigger with my current rims and 7.25" diffy. With some careful measuring, and the correct width and backspace rims, you MIGHT be able to stuff a little more tire in there.

any tips or tricks to fitting something bigger than a 245 rear tire without it rubbing. i have rolled the lip in the back but it rubs up in the fenderwell. i have 235's on my valiant now and they rub when i take a hard turn and i have to keep the back jacked up to keep them from rubbing. im not looking to tub it out but i would like to be able to fit at least a 255. fwiw im running 15x7 cop car rims.

Offset hangers with stock wheel tubs is the answer.

im running an 8 1/4.

oldvart what width rim are you running? i used to be able to fit 245/60/14's on my other valiant on a 5 inch rim and they didnt rub.

Do you have a 7 1/4 rear?Having an 8 3/4(narrower than 7 1/4 I believe)might give you that little bit extra.Either that or do the 3 inch minitub.

do you happen to have a link to the minitub? i was thinking about cutting out the section between the frame rail and the inner fenderwell (there is 2-3 inches there), slicing the inner fenderwell down the center and welding it back to the frame rail and ad a strip to the cut down the center. that would give me some room but the springs are there and i couldnt go much farther that way. they rup on the outside now if i turn hard so i would have to figure out how to move the inner fenderwell on the outside too. just dont know how much room there is in there. cant imagine its a whole lot.

I currently am running P255/60R15's on my 1966 Valiant with stock Mopar 15x6 BBP steel rims no rubbing anywhere. I also have the same size tires mounted a pair of 15x6.5 American Racing Torq Thrusts and a pair of Cragar S/S 15x7 rims and those don't rub either. I have stock rear wheel wells, stock 8 3/4 rear, Mopar drag shocks and Mopar Performance Super Stock leaf springs. No tubbing, relocating, cutting, or narrowing on my car :glasses7:

I have stock small bolt 7 1/4 rear end and Like OldVart I am running 14'' wheels.
66340SEDAN has an 8 3/4 rear end :coffee2: it might be a little narrower but I am not sure, ( What did your rear end come out of 66340SEDAN ? ) and is it narrower then the 7 1/4 you took out of it ? ?
I would think OldVart has a little more back space on his chrome revers wheels then I have on my stock Ralley's, to change a rear tire I have to jack the body up to remove my rear 215 70'es. or are they 225 :banghead: I am on my wifes computer. 1966 Valiant

I meant total space from whatever it will hit on the inside to the 1/4 lip?

im not sure im understanding what you are asking. the entire width of the wheel well? or space from the tire to the wheel well?

memike, i have to jack the body up to get my wheels off too. i got away from the 14's because they are getting harder to find in bigger sizes.

your car has the same stance mine does now. im trying to fit a bigger tire and get it to sit level like it would have from the factory.

im not sure im understanding what you are asking. the entire width of the wheel well? or space from the tire to the wheel well?

I'm asking you what the distance is from the drum face to whatever you'll hit on the inside and from the drum face to wahtever you will hit on the outside.

Whatever you will hit is not nessesarily the wheel well.

-
Back