Birth of the Blue Missile

-
here are the drip trays installed, I still need to run the hard pipe to the rear of the hood for he drain.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000058.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 647
  • WP_000061.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 651
I have ordered the 11meter radio and have received the rear antennas and quick disconnects. You can see why I had to move the mounts to the very rear of the bumper to clear the spoiler.
Once the radio arrives I have to disassemble the consoles and cut it in along with a list of corrections and minor mods.
I just missed picking up a color coded remote display for the valentine one detector. I really dont want to pay full retail for this stuff, in this case I may have to. I need one for the Heads Up Display before I button up the dash and complete the AC install. More as it comes in.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000065.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 630
I went with a:
GALAXY DX 939 40 CH W/DUAL MOSFETS I thought this would be just the ticket with a 150watt linear.
I also got a 35amp/ 13.5volt on board charger which solved a number of low voltage problems system wide.

Andrew

I wanted to start pulling the seats and console today but that DAMN global warming keeps getting in the way. All of the cars are covered with a sheet of ice and the driveway is slick to the point of being dangerous.
Andrew

I'll take that Austin weather right now. It's -10 up here. Stick with it and throw some salt down.

For the past three days I took a break from working on the car and designed and built a new cabinet for my 30watt Marshall. I wanted to get a deeper tone so I went with a closed back/folded horn design. I found some incredible gold diamond patterned speaker cloth to go with the spectacular claro walnut burl veneer for the exterior. I also picked up some 3/4" walnut to make moldings out of. Ill post pics of the finished amp when completed.
I'm still waiting on some items for the center console before I pull the car apart.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000070.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 551
  • WP_000069.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 566
  • WP_000068.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 567
  • WP_000067.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 568
I got all the construction on the amp done. I made a set of 1/4" brass "wishbones" and all that I lack now are the grill cloth and the veneer. I will make the walnut trim tomorrow. I had a chance to play through it for an hour and the tone is much richer than it was. and it has more balls. Ya gotta love physics!~
67, I have a design for a sub cabinet for the car but it uses a 5" driver!
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000076.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 529
  • WP_000078.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 507
The grill cloth arrived today, its a recreation of turn of the last century antique radio grill cloth. I also got the walnut trim created, it still needs to be installed its just taped in place. The veneer still needs to show up.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000081.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 485
  • WP_000082.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 490
OK now its official, I have used every stationary power tool I own on this cabinet. Today I planed down some walnut to make the 3/8" trim for the back, and I got an old bookmatched panel out of storage from thirty years ago to veneer the back of the cabinet.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000085.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 484
  • WP_000083.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 485
I finally got the 11 meter radio for the center console, and its too cold to rip the interior out of the car right now.
I also got the burl veneer for the main body of the amp, BUT... I now have to have the patience to let the softening solution do its thing and flatten out the veneer. The first pic is my veneer press and you can see hot interrelated cars and guitars are.
the final pic is a shot of the veneer panel and there are three pieces to the flitch and the book match is incredible.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000088.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 448
  • WP_000090.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 453
  • veneer shrunk.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 446
All thats left now are the new set of knobs which should be here monday and the new driver a Celestion G12H-75 creamback, which will be here tues. The burl veneer did not lay down perfectly flat so it looks more like leather.
The weather is supposed to warm up a bit so its back to work on the car.
Andrew

Attachments

• smaller back.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 421
  • smaller side.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 430
  • smaller front oblique.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 428
Man you absolutely SUCK. Is there anything you cannot do? Damn. Just DAMN. That's beautiful.

Thanks Rusty,
I did some reading and found out the new Celestion driver is 1/2" deeper than the original McKensie. So I relieved the back brace, now the magnet will fit down into the brace maintaining the original design.
I also took the opportunity to inlay my logo into the case.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000096.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 390
  • WP_000097.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 391
YES!
There is just enough room in the back seats for this amp and my 1970 SG. I cant wait to take the Missile to its first Blues gig!

By the way the amp sounds great live, and the new cover for it is on the way.
Back to the car.
I have been doing the pre-install for the AC unit. Vintage air has a really fine unit, but my needs are for a modular approach to the electric hookups because of the need to service and tweak all the components in the consoles. So I re harnessed the control wires to make removing the console easy, sort of.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000110.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 349
I knew before I ordered the unit I had screwed up in the choice of control units, and would have to get creative to cover the holes left by the power window switches, oops.
I also took the opportunity to clean up the rats nest in the front section after I cut in the Radio. I also got the FLIR system integrated into the main switch module.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000121.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 302
  • WP_000119.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 313
  • WP_000120.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 309
-
Back