Birth of the Blue Missile

-
I think the end result is stealthy enough.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000208.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 552
  • WP_000209 (2).jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 547
  • WP_000210.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 554
You sir, have an interesting brain :D
(in a good way)

Actually really enjoyable story, well done so far. I wish we could go back to those politically incorrect times, not have to worry about what we say, what we choose to ingest, or listen to any eco-fascist rumblings about carbon footprint, global warming , blather blather boo.

Thanks for the kudos, as far as carbon footprint and global warming goes, the people that are concerned with their carbon foot print can start by not exhaling, as far as global warming goes, could use a little right now in this 25* weather.
By the way the story on amazon as an E book is twice as long with pictures.
Just a thought.
Andrew

The only thing left is to resand and spray the "filler" piece the lower lights are attached to, it got really dinged up during the fabrication of the enclosures. I will also spray the lens enclosures the body color so they will blend in a little better.
I first made a pattern out of some very thin steel 28ga, then I made the pieces out of 22ga stainless and primed them.
Over all unless you are looking for them they are pretty blended in.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000217 (2).jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 494
  • WP_000219 (2).jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 511
  • WP_000215.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 503
  • WP_000213 (2).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 512
The rain finally stopped, so I was able to mount the camera and get the bulkhead connections and harness to the firewall complete. First pic is inside the hoodscoop, second is under the scoop. Third is the best view of the camera its really hard to see.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000220 (2).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 474
  • WP_000225 (2).jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 465
  • WP_000224 (2).jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 477
Today I finally got the sound system up and going. If you remember I built a low freq cabinet for the rear center console. The sub driver is a 5"dia long throw driver, it will only handle 150 watts. When I powered the rear amp up and got the inputs set there was so much bass and very clear bass that it rattled my rib cage to the point that after I sat there laughing it was so stupid loud, that I had to go back and turn down the sub input level to almost off, and its still very loud and VERY clear. Physics is a blast.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo223.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 468
  • Photo206.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 463
  • Photo205.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 466
OK I got a bunch of little things done and have now powered up the IR system in place on the car with the following conclusions. 850nm LEDs are the way to go. I have already ordered more of the 10mm ones to replace the 5mm 950nm horizontal displays. These headlights will need to be aimed better, but as is they are twice as bright as my highbeams. The pic is in total darkness, the aim needs to be adjusted, but lit up like daylight.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000227 (2).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 434
After looking at all the information I had gathered I decided to take the IR camera and point it at the car when the "IR" headlights were lit. The first pic is in partial daylight when the camera's automatic controls were still set on daylight, this confirmed that the 940nm Leds were useless. However even in those conditions the 840nm arrays were quite well detected. In complete darkness the 840s were twice as bright as the regular headlights. I will replace the lower 940 arrays with 840s and double the current out put. What is really cool is that unless you are looking at the monitor you are in total darkness.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000000.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 432
  • WP_000001.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 427
Holy shitballs Batman. You went and put a FLIR system on it!

Blue, you are so off kilter and out of touch with even the radical builds that its completely awesome!

Sorry been away for a while. Neat to see the progression in a big chunk instead of waiting post to post.

Today I finally got the sound system up and going. If you remember I built a low freq cabinet for the rear center console. The sub driver is a 5"dia long throw driver, it will only handle 150 watts. When I powered the rear amp up and got the inputs set there was so much bass and very clear bass that it rattled my rib cage to the point that after I sat there laughing it was so stupid loud, that I had to go back and turn down the sub input level to almost off, and its still very loud and VERY clear. Physics is a blast.
Andrew
Boy, I love this stuff!

Thanks OMM
The weather let up a little but not enough to get back into body work. So I rebuilt the horizontal IR emitters and what a difference! Pic 1 is the daylight view through the camera, second is the camera being completely overwhelmed by the added arrays while pointed at the carin total darkness. then there is the old view from inside the car followed by the new view. I can almost read the labels on the spray cans in the door rack.This is cool.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000003.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 374
  • WP_000004.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 380
  • WP_000227 (2).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 371
  • WP_000005.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 375
AA,
Thanks for the kudos, I thought there would be more of a reaction to the FLIR set up. I just had a friend who was in the service and is very familiar with FLIR come buy and try it out in the dark and he flipped out. His response was that I should have no trouble driving "dark" he was also stunned by the fact I spent under $400 for the entire system. Now granted this will not get alot of use, but rather than disabling a police vehicle at 1000 yards, being able to drive by one undetected in the dark would be cool. That is also with the use of a LIDAR mitigation system, already sourced but not installed yet.
Andrew

Well I ordered the Gen IV Magnum mock-up unit today from Vintage air. Im not sure it will work with the location of all the air and defrost outlets. However I have to try and see if it fits because the control panel I chose and left room for, unknowingly only goes with that unit. The other one for the GEN-2 super cooler is an inch longer which will require me to relocate the window switches to the middle portion of the center console.
I also found out that the tranny I have to use requires a separate switch to activate the paddle shifters. That may require me to remove and reconfigure the steering wheel controls. And so the saga goes on.
Andrew

AA,
I thought there would be more of a reaction to the FLIR set up.
Andrew

Andrew,
I, like a lot of other people can't wait to see your post.... but for me personally what you do is so Technically beyond anything else on here is hard to comprehend, granted I am very familiar with FLIR, but the ability to build it is mind blowing and make It hard for me to comment on, other than saying "good job" and "cool" and that just doesn't seem equal to the coolness involved in all the electronic stuff you make.....

Andrew,
I, like a lot of other people can't wait to see your post.... but for me personally what you do is so Technically beyond anything else on here is hard to comprehend, granted I am very familiar with FLIR, but the ability to build it is mind blowing and make It hard to comment on other than say "good job" and just seems not equal to the coolness involved in all the electronic stuff you make.....

I agree with 76orangewagon. I am subscribed to your thread and always read it as soon as there is an update. I am very impressed with your technical expertise and all of the great ideas you are incorporating into your car.

The last pic you posted above just blows me away with how clearly you can see. I also really liked the speaker enclosure. I never imagined there was anything like that. And incorporating all of your ideas into one car is just over the top. :thumleft:

I, too, can only say 'good job' and wait for your next post.
Dallas

Holy shitballs Batman. You went and put a FLIR system on it!

Blue, you are so off kilter and out of touch with even the radical builds that its completely awesome!

Sorry been away for a while. Neat to see the progression in a big chunk instead of waiting post to post.

You've boggled our brains. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And yet Ross I look at your machining, and feel the same way.
Im just living out childhood fantasies. Being a scifi nut and growing up with Tom Swift and Doc Savage and of course Star trek, what amazes me is all this stuff is out there to be combined into these systems and for less than pennys on the dollar and stuff they could only dream about back then.
I look at this way I didnt build the FLIR system from scratch, I bought a $70 security camera (actually two - I screwed the first one up), put the guts in a smaller box with no changes, I bought a pair of visor monitors for $180 and pluged one into the other. Sure I put some LEDs on a piece of perf board, but this is all pretty basic stuff. I guess what Im saying is this kind of "inovation" is not beyond any of you guys here. Ive seen some of the "homemade" (I hate that term) tools which are VERY cool.
Im hoping what I post will inspire someone to think outside of the box ans say you know theres this idea I have and give it a try.
Thanks again for the kudos, it means alot at this end.
Andrew

Damn dude. Just DAMN. That was a compliment. lol

And yet Ross I look at your machining, and feel the same way.
Thanks again for the kudos, it means alot at this end.
Andrew

It's a shame we don't live close to each other...I would swap my Machining for your Electrical work.

-
Back