Birth of the Blue Missile

-
Dart,
progress has been very slow but productive. Getting all the sections of the center console back in place with the AC unit hanging has been a bear. Now I have a couple of electrical bugs to work out. One of which was related to the electric window controls. I had built the harness with individual connectors at the switches, and this was not the way to go. I Finally found a couple of the correct connectors and will rebuild that chunk of the harness.
I also have a partially functioning Push To Talk switch on the steering wheel. It does mute the sound system and transfer the helmet com line to the radio, but it does not trigger the TX function on the radio. So I will have to once again pull the console and put it all on the bench and breadboard it to find out where the conflict is.
I have made the permanent connections for the FLIR system, including a spot in the avionics switch pod. The FLIR switch now also automatically raises the hood scoop when its activated.
Lots of little stuff.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000185.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 777
Couldn't be this bad? Or did it short out and set off the fire system?.....:)
Ok.. How's it going?.. :)

Hog,
Its been a financial slow down, All that's left is the engine compartment and the tranny. There a couple of electronic items and the fire system in the interior. But now I need to put the funding together for the motor and tranny. OH I absolutely refuse to paint the car in the driveway. Priming is one thing, but a spray booth is really needed.
No worries here it will come to pass.
Andrew

I know this is a little off topic but I build things just to stay sane.
I have been working on my first guitar pedal board. Got a chance to play through the board and I like all except the Boss Fender pedal. It has a bit of a tinny overtone that I cant adjust out even with pulling the highs out via the tone control. The T-rex is silky smooth, and the slide-rig as a simple boost is pretty cool. I have the exterior done except for the bottom panel that veneer is still flattening. Also still waiting for the handle to arrive. I will have to get used to not paying attention to where the cord is, its a reflex now , but the Line 6 wireless is very cool.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000209.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 667
  • WP_000211.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 633
  • WP_000212.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 646
Prostreet,
based on your name, you enjoy getting together with your buds and showing off your car and what it can do. Very cool!
I on the other hand, enjoy putting the hammer down on the open road. Who among us wouldn't like to be able to go 200mph in total darkness right past the RADAR gun and still have the operator say- What the hell was that?!
Just a thought---not that I would ever do that.
Andrew

:cheers: what's it going to cost me to ride in the passenger seat??? :thumbup:

Ross I imagine I'll make it to the nats when the car is done.
In the mean time Im being forced to move my residence and shop a little ahead of my schedule. So that will occupy some time.
In order to stay sane and to satisfy my love of wood working I am going to build the all Tortured maple guitar that the Gibson custom shop would not. I went looking to see what kind of highly figured maple my sources had and I came across this book-matched guitar top. HOLY CRAP! the moment I saw it I knew this was going to be next. Lets make sawdust!
I also found a craftsman who makes custom necks for a few hundred bucks.
The game is a foot now!
Andrew

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 637
  • guitar masked.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 643
  • throughneckebony.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 603
I just swapped the neck on my MIM Strat for a Maple Mity Mite neck. Its like a new guitar now. Im no guitar builder but I am happy with my first dive into Frankensteining my axes. A knotty Maple SG will be unreal.

Andrew, your thread never ceases to amaze me! Forget the car, now I'm wanting to see what the guitar is going to look like lol.
Dallas

Dallas, the wood should be here today or tomorrow, then I even get to see the other side of the set. Ill post a pic.
Andrew

Here is what I have in mind for the faces of the pickups. I just brushed a quick coat of pre-cat on some of the leftover veneer from the pedal board. So this would go under the open gold cover.
Andrew

Attachments

• 281314184559_1.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 590
  • WP_000221.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 588
First I do want to say I would like to be telling you about all the progress Im making on the Missile but it aint happenin just yet.
So lets talk about makin sawdust!
The wood arrived and looks better in person.Would love some input here. The question is should I put the curly (striped) part of the piece at the top or bottom? I also have access to gold trim rings instead of the cream one, thoughts?

Attachments

• WP_000225.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 557
  • WP_000226.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 561
After talking to the nice folks at Carvin Guitars, I am going to go with one of their through body 25" scale necks, with an ebony fretboard. The only question left is how long they will take to make me one with hand selected flame maple or just have Stew Mack send me one of the ones they have in stock. Either way I am going to cap the sides with material left over from the body top and veneer both faces with some crazy pieces left over from the pedal board.
The open face pickup covers arrived today and they will look very classy.
Andrew

Attachments

• Headstock2.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 515
  • WP_000229.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 509
I just ordered the back pieces for the guitar. The mill will resaw this piece of quilted spalted maple and ship tomorrow.
Andrew

Attachments

• guitar back.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 468
-
Back