Black Battery Cable Only Rant

-

wawarnick

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The national chain parts stores that locate next to each other have both stopped stocking red battery cables. I was floored. The worker explained they get only black coated battery cables to save money. Thhis is ridiculous. I was able to find a red battery cable at tractor supply.

Last edited:
Tractor supply is also cheaper, buy their wire in 25' bulk rolls and make your own cables.

I've had to resort to using red heat shrink tubing on some to change the colors, but for any major power cable, I'll end up buying a quality one from Summit and they csn be ordered in any color.

I wondered why youtube videos of making your own battery cables kept popping up, I guess I know now.

I checked at the Napa store where I work. We still have red and black cables. But get this, NO SIDE POST CABLES. They were all sent back and now we do not stock any, anywhere.

I checked at the Napa store where I work. We still have red and black cables. But get this, NO SIDE POST CABLES. They were all sent back and now we do not stock any, anywhere.
I'd call that a good thing. The side post terminals always SUCKED anyway. lol

ElecDirect has all different lengths, gauges and red and black and alot of other neat electrical stuff.

Well the bolts corrode and break, or freeze into the threads
I've never had trouble with top post terminals. They require very little torque to tighten. That's what causes their demise. People overtighten them and they stretch. Once the ends touch together, they're over and done. People just don't get it. Also, those billshitter bolt on terminals aren't meant to be permanent, yet, you see even "nice" cars with them on. You just caint tell some people anything.

Side posts don't break and crack while being removed or rehooked up though , I prefer them myself
I had a job at a service station as a tow truck operator when I was going to school so I did a lot of jump starts then. I'm not picking sides between side post or top post but I have had batteries blow up on me twice and both times they were side post. Both times they had the 5/16" head bolt replaced with a standard 3/8" bolt with a 9/16" head and after it blew the top off the battery you could see the lead strap from the terminal to the plates was twisted off. From being over torqued is my guess. One of them earned me a ride in an ambulance to get the battery acid flushed out of my eyes.

Side post batteries suck, they sucked when they first came out and they still suck.

I remember when diesel cars, I think it was Cadillac, had two side post batteries. Talk about double sucking.
lol
Remember the Pontiac Grand Prix with the converted 350 Olds gas to diesel motors? Hideous.

those billshitter bolt on terminals aren't meant to be permanent, yet, you see even "nice" cars with them on.
This spring when I bought my Duster it had one of those "gold" terminals on the positive cable. My buddy pointed it out as soon as I lifted the hood. It's in a landfill somewhere now...

And let's not forget how easy it is to hook jumper cables to side posts.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
download.jpgnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.jpg

Even a blind person can get jumper cables on these

I tried the local NApa first but they didn't have the right length in stock which sent me looking elsewhere.

-
Back