Blinker issue

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Okay here goes my right front blinker is not working.

I tested the bulb it is good.
I tested the bulb in the socket through the connector and that is good.
The left blinker works fine.
With the headlights on the right works.

It is ONLY the blinker. I tracked through the service manual and it passes through the same blinker relay for left and right blinker. I tried to replace the relay and the left works right doesn't. Any ideas? Anywhere to look. I did look at the wires under the hood and I don't see anything damaged.

After putting everything back together I did run a wire from the mounting bolt and tried several spots to ground. It did not change.

Would the light work with the headlights on if it were a bad ground?

check the blinker fluid!!!!!!!!!!! it is located within the battery. just pull the cap off and fill.. sorry i could not resist

After putting everything back together I did run a wire from the mounting bolt and tried several spots to ground. It did not change.

Maybe as it back feeding. Check the actual ground wire in the socket, it could be broke. It sure sounds like a ground gremlin.

The rear is working?

Just something for thought. Haven't you posted several electrical problem threads since you installed your a/c system? Is there any possibility that there could be a connection between the problems that have started since the a/c system. Any possibility you didn't reattach a ground that you took loose to put the condenser in or another ground? Like I said this is something just for thought.

check the blinker fluid!!!!!!!!!!! it is located within the battery. just pull the cap off and fill.. sorry i could not resist

Lol, I sent a 14 or 15 year old up to a buddy's house to get the board stretcher. My buddy joined right in and sent a wire stretcher. I sent him back for the other board stretcher.

Check the socket to make sure it's actually grounded to the turn signal housing. Then check to make sure the housing is actually grounded to the rest of the vehicle.

THEN, you check your blinker fluid. I thought everyone knew that....

If your running lights work it is not a ground problem, turn on the head lights
and see . It is an 1157 bulb one socket 2 functions , if you're not grounded you will have no signal light and no running light. Most likely a shorted wire.
May also be cuircut board in your dash . I am having a simular problem.
left rear signal light not working and when I turn on the high beams
the dash flasher indicators change sides. pulling my dash Sunday.
Cheers.

My running light does work. Oh and there is plenty of blinker fluid slap up to the top.

Yes it is an 1157. I guess I will start tracing the wires back again and double check. I know my hood bracket bolts are directly above the wires that run to the blinker. Maybe when I pulled it I crimped it. I will have to double check.

Yes Okla I am having some electrical issues but I am pretty sure I have traced that back. Turns out the "mechanic" I paid to install the electronic ignition failed to put a ballast resistor in line. Beyond that he tapped with a "squeeze" connector off the ignition switch straight to the coil. I am pretty sure this means he has bypassed the voltage regulator. I ordered a long length of heat shrink tubing I am waiting on to fix it. I am going to solder all the connections and fix what I can.

My running light does work. Oh and there is plenty of blinker fluid slap up to the top.

had the same exact problem on my 68 dart ......it turned out to be the turn signal switch in the column on mine.......one way to confirm that is disconnect the clolumn wire connector and apply power to the terminal ....on mine it was a tan wire to right side and when i did that it worked the way its supposed to .

if yours is same problem then your dash indicator isnt working.....but if you apply power to the terminal it will.

Good call RaniDart70 I had considered that option. The turn signal cam is plastic and could very well have broken or borked in some way.

fkslkv I agree but in this case it is a 2 function light and the running light works. It should be using the same ground. I did wire brush the mounting bolt and the forked mount on the bottom in hopes that would help. If it ground somewhere other then the light housing please tell me where to look and I will definitely test it.

I have had the pins in the steering column connector pull ever so slightly loose causing no lights on 1 bulb before. Do your running lights stay on with the headlamps on or do they turn off with headlamps in on position? I expect you to find a loose connection at bulkhead or bottom of steering column. The light does ground through its body, but that doesn't mean you can't run a seperate ground wire to it.

If you do find that it is a turn signal switch problem the only decent reproduction for an early A are available from slantsixdan he had a batch made off of the original specs and sells them.

Check the wires where they come through the socket, they can break. Silly question, have you tried another bulb? I have put new bulbs in that were bad.

One of my front turn signals did not work, so I traced the problem down with a test light.

I think the light bulb still lit up but when the blinker was turned on, it just turned off or blinked so dim you couldn't see it.

It was a wire you couldn't see inside the pigtail connector right behind the socket.

I found it by using the test light on the good side where the blinker worked. I removed the bulb and the test light blinked with the signal on.

Then, I tested the socket on the side that didn't work and it did not light up right.

After that I unplugged the pigtail from the engine bay harness on the good side to figure out which terminal to check.

After it worked on the good side, I unplugged the connector on the bad side and found that power was still coming to the harness and that the problem was between the pigtail connector and the bulb socket.

I carefully cut the rubber boot behind the socket and fixed the wire.

Running lights do work and stay on when the headlights are on

I am going to check the column connector see if it is loose. I vaguely remember playing with the connector sometime around the issue starting.

I have had the pins in the steering column connector pull ever so slightly loose causing no lights on 1 bulb before. Do your running lights stay on with the headlamps on or do they turn off with headlamps in on position? I expect you to find a loose connection at bulkhead or bottom of steering column. The light does ground through its body, but that doesn't mean you can't run a seperate ground wire to it.

If you do find that it is a turn signal switch problem the only decent reproduction for an early A are available from slantsixdan he had a batch made off of the original specs and sells them.

Mcnoople's right, these cars are notorious for a bad switch. I opened my column up, found my signal switch broken, too. I'm ordering a new one this week from slantsixdan.

All of the power for blinkers, 4 ways, etc. runs through directional switch. If you have parking lamps working, and tail lights working the grounds for these fixtures are most likely ok. Second check is continuity of lamp filaments; they either pass current or are open, in other words; broken. Lastly is the directional light switch. These multiple contact and circuited devices become worn and sloppy after a while, and cause all sorts of lighting problems.

A quick test would be to activate the signal light that is causing problems, and gently pull the switch lever in direction of steering wheel. Performing this will press the two halves of the switch together temporarily removing some of the slop from its action, and may light the problem bulb.

I know you tested the bulb, but did you change bulb for new one, is it type of bulb that has two wires inside one for park light & one for blanking?
I had a prob with a bulb once, the blanker wire on inside of the bulb blowed but other did not!

It is a two part bulb and I did test both side. While I was testing I dropped that bulb so I did replace it by proxy.

-
Back