Bolt in Harness Bar don't do it!!!

-
Edit, I went back and looked at the Ebay listing.

All I see are Grade-nothing bolts (Granted, there might be a couple of hardened nuts in there) and the single-bolt upper mounting point reinforces my point (and nothing mechanically) about the bar providing no resistance to forward-motion impacts.

I thought about rollover crashes, specifically, and feel that only the lap belt keeps you in place during a rollover, that's not really shoulder harness stuff if I had to guess.

I think it's junk, made your car more dangerous, and you got ripped off.

Just my opinion.

I don't like it one bit actually...I don't mean to sound rude, but I agree with jos51700.

Umm..... well the bolts are grade 8.8 pretty sure that's good enough. The bar mounts to the same places that stock seat belts do. If you would trust a 3 points wtf is the problem with a bar that connects upper and lower mounts and allows a 4 point harness how is that not as safe? it wont go off center there is like 1-2 inches the lower bars would have to compress down it actually looked like it would when it was in backwards its the angle of the photo. look its way safer than those damn lap belts and just because you think it isn't safe doesn't make it so. also like i said before it bolts in so if I am going to have someone ride back there IT BOLTS OUT!!!!!! I did not get ripped off either. Thanks for the negative criticism.:cheers:

Edit, I went back and looked at the Ebay listing.

All I see are Grade-nothing bolts (Granted, there might be a couple of hardened nuts in there) and the single-bolt upper mounting point reinforces my point (and nothing mechanically) about the bar providing no resistance to forward-motion impacts.

I thought about rollover crashes, specifically, and feel that only the lap belt keeps you in place during a rollover, that's not really shoulder harness stuff if I had to guess.

I think it's junk, made your car more dangerous, and you got ripped off.

Just my opinion.

The bolts are all 9/16 head 7/16 shank grade 8.8 bolts. The ones that came with it went in the sh*t can. The bolts aren't going to pop off anymore than your head is from thinking to much. And you are entitled to your wrong opinion. The bar provides support for a foward motion impact. The car does not do to the track and never goes over highway speed. Your arguement might apply to a drag car but that is not what this is. If I had a drag car here it would get a cage. I really have a hard time understanding your logic. the car is more safe and i did not get ripped off.

Nice accessory not for safety. There is a reason that seat belts are bolted in 3 locations and roll cages are welded in place. I would use it as a replacement for the factory.

It would have to be one hell of a wreck to yank the bar out of the mounts. I just dont see it happening. its not meant to be a frame connector it was just a thought. its not a roll bar what are you talking about. IT IS A HARNESS BAR!! it is designed to keep the shoulder straps at shoulder height. it is strong enough for the street IMHO. IF I was going to race the car I would get a cage. Not saying dont give negative criticism thats why i posted this thread I want to know what people think about it.

Nice accessory not for safety. There is a reason that seat belts are bolted in 3 locations and roll cages are welded in place. I would use it as a replacement for the factory.

I dont understand you would use it to replace the factory? lol it is for saftey a 4 point harnesss is safer than lapbelts.

Make sure you triple wrap the straps through the buckle/ adjuster(I forgot what it's actually called) otherwise the straps can pull right through & you'll go flying! This pertains to all harness systems tha mount by wrapping around a tube like that. In other words make sure you pass it through the buckle an additional time so it can't pull through.

Make sure you triple wrap the straps through the buckle/ adjuster(I forgot what it's actually called) otherwise the straps can plull right through & you'll go flying! This pertains to all harness systems tha mount by wrapping around a tube like that. In other words make sure you pass it through the buckle an additional time so it can't pull through.

Thats how they are. :glasses7:

Its worth it to have a place to mount the top belts properly.

I am thinking with the current way it is set up It could possibly flip forward in a hard crash. There is only one bolt on top and one on bottom each side correct?

It looks like they are supposed to be installed like this:

248441d1338502283-dual-bucket-seats-rails-brackets-air-bag-resistors-black-harness-bar-irvine-img_0500-2.jpg

But that might not work out on the dart. If it doesn't I would run the hiem tubes to the rear seat belt bolts somehow. you would have to yank the rear seat but you could still make it bolt in at least.

Just doesn't look safe as is but, I wouldn't write it off as a waste of money just yet.

That makes sence and i will see if I can install the heim bars in the rear seat belt mounts like you said.I will post pics when i do. I appreciate the intelligent feedback that is what this thread is all about. You made alot of sence and only wrote a sentance or two. Others can wite a book and make no sence at all. Thank you.

:headbang:

I took the back seat out and this is what I'm going to do...

I have made a bracket that will relocate the heim bar so that the back seat can stay in the crossbar will be back the way it should per Sirdans picture. here is a picture of the bracket I made from a old motor mount. I'm in the process of making the second then I will post a pic of the bar installed to the rear seat points.

Attachments

• P1010028.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 368
instead of takin it out when you have people riding with you you could loosen the lower bars and flip them forward and loosen the top bar and push it towards the back glass against the roof and tighten the bolts then it is completly out of the way.

The only concern I see is the angle the lower bars are at If they were longer and made a 90 degree angle where they attach to the upper bars would be best

I think its kinda neat but not sure if I would get one but may try it but with longer lower bars

I took the back seat out and this is what I'm going to do...

I have made a bracket that will relocate the heim bar so that the back seat can stay in the crossbar will be back the way it should per Sirdans picture. here is a picture of the bracket I made from a old motor mount. I'm in the process of making the second then I will post a pic of the bar installed to the rear seat points.

I wouldnt put them there. I would leave the top of the back seat in and take the bottom out and bolt it to where the back seat lap belts mount

Here is another issue with harness bars:

In a roll-over accident, if the roof caves in on you you have no method to move during the impact of the roof with your head. The seat side bolsters are restricting enough, add the full harness and you become one with the seat. By far the safest situation would be a roll bar. If you are going to do all the fab work just to help the harness bar mounting, why not fab a 4-point roll bar that you can (fairly) easily bolt in and out.

Oh...and before you nay-say the roll over risk, I would be glad to introduce you to a widow who lost her husband in a situation just like this. Had there been a roll bar or if he had a single late model type shoulder belt, he would have lived. A head and neck does not make a good crumple zone.

good luck with getting the "look" you're after,,,,,,,,,,,,,,as far as safe,,,,,,I just don't see it. The inertia of a head on collision at, as you call it, highway speeds is going to do two things. First, it's going to slow your bodies forward motion down just a tad bit at the initial impact. Second, while your body is at the restraint of the shoulder harness for this BRIEF second that trainwreck of a safety bar is going to brake loose just in time to catch up with you somewhere between your upper vertabrae and your skull. But on the upside it looks cool as hell :supz:

ok ok... well how about this the seat stays in. I just have to fab the other sides bracket.. and every one has there preferences some people would rather just be thrown clear of a wreck thanwear a seat belt others say helmet others say no. blah blah blah. this is what its going to look like . its not done yet. I'm going with Sirdans advice and running the heim bars to the rear.

good luck with getting the "look" you're after,,,,,,,,,,,,,,as far as safe,,,,,,I just don't see it. The inertia of a head on collision at, as you call it, highway speeds is going to do two things. First, it's going to slow your bodies forward motion down just a tad bit at the initial impact. Second, while your body is at the restraint of the shoulder harness for this BRIEF second that trainwreck of a safety bar is going to brake loose just in time to catch up with you somewhere between your upper vertabrae and your skull. But on the upside it looks cool as hell :supz:

I am trying to get it in right why do you feel the need to insult me? im not going for a "look" I want my seatbelts installed right. if I was going for a "look as you say i wouldnt even bother with the bar. they make bolt in harnesses. :finga:

ok ok... well how about this the seat stays in. I just have to fab the other sides bracket.. and every one has there preferences some people would rather just be thrown clear of a wreck thanwear a seat belt others say helmet others say no. blah blah blah. this is what its going to look like . its not done yet. I'm going with Sirdans advice and running the heim bars to the rear.

I don't think anyone has said they want to be thrown clear of the wreck rather than wear a seatbelt. I for one, have worn seatbelts since 1982 when I found out a friend had been killed in an accident because of not wearing a seatbelt. I was 17 then.

What some of us are saying is that you are giving yourself a false sense of security with a harness bar. They are good for holding you in the seat during an autocross, but for safety in a real car accident, they are not as good as a factory belt, especially a 3 point shoulder belt.

I could email my friend who owns a race car fabrication shop that is well respected in the road racing world and ask his opinion, if you like.

Again, not trying to piss you off or be a jerk. I'm just trying to point out the shortcomings of this design.

I too am looking for a way to have something more than lap belts in my 66 Barracuda. Not sure how I will accomplish it, but it won't be one of these.

I am trying to get it in right why do you feel the need to insult me? im not going for a "look" I want my seatbelts installed right. if I was going for a "look as you say i wouldnt even bother with the bar. they make bolt in harnesses. :finga:

I dont see the insult in the above post?? You asked for opinions and he gave his. If you wanted a harness, why not go for a bolt in one instead of this style?

-
Back