Bolt in Harness Bar don't do it!!!

-
I dont see the insult in the above post?? You asked for opinions and he gave his. If you wanted a harness, why not go for a bolt in one instead of this style?

it is my understanding that a bolt in harness that would attach at the floor would cause spinal compression in a head on collision. I have always thought that you want the shoulder belts to be mounted either level with the tops of your shoulder or slightly above.

saying that im after a look and calling the harness bar a trainwreck isn't a snide thing to say i guess.

it is my understanding that a bolt in harness that would attach at the floor would cause spinal compression in a head on collision. I have always thought that you want the shoulder belts to be mounted either level with the tops of your shoulder or slightly above.

thank you again...exactly why I am putting the bar in. I also dont see how its going to hit me in the head its shoulder level. And you are right bolt in harnesses are dangerous. period.

Ask me no question, I'll tell you no lies.

If function is what you are after, that deal isn't it (trainwreck, clusterf*ck whatever you want to call it). If it's about being Sprite, "Image is everything" (remember those commercials), then you have a good piece.

Don't ask for opinions around here if you don't have some skin to handle the comments. It's a good place with some real honest folks.

These statements:

Umm..... well the bolts are grade 8.8 pretty sure that's good enough. The bar mounts to the same places that stock seat belts do. If you would trust a 3 points wtf is the problem with a bar that connects upper and lower mounts and allows a 4 point harness how is that not as safe? it wont go off center there is like 1-2 inches the lower bars would have to compress down it actually looked like it would when it was in backwards its the angle of the photo. look its way safer than those damn lap belts and just because you think it isn't safe doesn't make it so. also like i said before it bolts in so if I am going to have someone ride back there IT BOLTS OUT!!!!!! I did not get ripped off either. Thanks for the negative criticism.:cheers:

The bolts are all 9/16 head 7/16 shank grade 8.8 bolts. The ones that came with it went in the sh*t can. The bolts aren't going to pop off anymore than your head is from thinking to much. And you are entitled to your wrong opinion. The bar provides support for a foward motion impact. The car does not do to the track and never goes over highway speed. Your arguement might apply to a drag car but that is not what this is. If I had a drag car here it would get a cage. I really have a hard time understanding your logic. the car is more safe and i did not get ripped off.

Do not jive with this one:

Not saying dont give negative criticism thats why i posted this thread I want to know what people think about it.

You seem to be pretty defensive to anyone that's criticized the bar, and you should see that we're not knocking you, just that product.

For the record, if it came cheap $hitty bolts, is poorly designed, and you have to re-do everything about it, what makes you think it's worth having in your car in any capacity?
Do you think they put any more effort, smarts, or quality material into the rest of that bar if they gave you butter bolts to put it in with?

You're trusting your life with it, and those of that dislike that bar are trying to protect you, you know....Something like that can make a accident worse than having no shoulder harness at all.

I havent done any "research" on them, just what I am reading/seeing in this thread. Never too old to learn. Judging by the pics on the 1st page and the one Sirdan(I think) posted, the straps look like they are lower than shoulder level?? Kinda hard to tell in the new pics with how it is mounted if straps are higher or not.
This is my opinion, but it looks like a gimmick, and myself I would not put any faith in it. Might feel a little better about it if I saw it in person.

Oh, what is FTW in the thread title??

Nothing like asking for opinions and then getting all pissy when you get ones you don't want......Looks like it will move if ever called into action.....looks like exactly what it is....a cobbled together gimmick......Good luck with it.....

NHRA wants shoulder harnesses attachment point no higher than level with shoulders and not more than 4" below shoulder level. That's from the last rule book that I saw 2011, IIRC.

look I can take criticism if its layed out right. Sirdan has the idea. there is tackfull way of saying somthing and there is a jerk sarcastic way. I have not gotten pissy either I just want to know why you think its a POS and you told me and I disagree. I didnt buy it for looks.

the straps are shoulder level. ftw= for the win

Ok 10-4.
One thing I have learned on here in the short time I have been here is that with almost 28000 members you arent going to like all of the responses.
Im not being a smartass here, but there is a difference between asking for advice and asking for opinions. You will get lots of both here when asked, just gotta differentiate whether its advice or opinions you want.

NHRA wants shoulder harnesses attachment point no higher than level with shoulders and not more than 4" below shoulder level. That's from the last rule book that I saw 2011, IIRC.

the shoulder harness does attach at shoulder level or are you refering to the mount points?

Ok 10-4.
One thing I have learned on here in the short time I have been here is that with almost 28000 members you arent going to like all of the responses.
Im not being a smartass here, but there is a difference between asking for advice and asking for opinions. You will get lots of both here when asked, just gotta differentiate whether its advice or opinions you want.

I see what you mean i think i was looking for advice not opinions. advice i can use opinions are useless

My opinion.

It's flimsy, poorly engineered piece that potentially life saving components of your cars restraint system attach too. What good are shoulder harnesses if they attach to an item which has a propensity to fold up like a pretzel.

I'll pass and I would NEVER ride in a car at speed with that set up holding me in a seat. I'd trust the old mopar belts and attachment point over that set up.

I have taken everyones advice that is worth listening to, my next post will show the harnessbar installed like it should from the rear seatbelt mounts with out having to remove the seat. THanks everyone for the input and concern. My intentions are to make an alternative to lapbelts. I think alot of people are afraid to try something diffferent and will write something off just because its not the norm.

Not the norm is not the same as a flawed design out of the gate.

Good luck with it, I hope you never have to test the limits of the item. Especially if you find yourself in an incident where you are on the lid!

Got it in and I am satisfied.Now it isnt pointing sraight down now there is no question that it cant pull through. The back seat doesn't have to come out while its in and it is mounted to a point that is much stronger than the rocker panel. People still cant sit in the back unless I take it out but the heim bars fold down and hide away behind the seat when not in use.

Attachments

• P1010031.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 331
Here's what they look like after an accident. 'Nuff said.

Attachments

• 180166_10150090827896821_653636820_6712672_657300_n-2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 370
-
Back