BOLT IN REAR SUSPENSION ?

-
Mopar Rear Suspension Conversion System | QA1

$3000...you can buy a nice welder for that and still have $$ left over
Ya I get to many people in my shop that think that way. I'm assuming this is a car that he wants. Not one that he needs. So save up ,and spend the money on the engineered parts. Its alot safer than novice welding a rearend and suspension in wrong and throwing it on the road. Inevitably it will end up costing more having a shop fix it ,or damaging the car ,or hurting someone

...that's something i've done my self before ...

Ya I get to many people in my shop that think that way. I'm assuming this is a car that he wants. Not one that he needs. So save up ,and spend the money on the engineered parts. Its alot safer than novice welding a rearend and suspension in wrong and throwing it on the road. Inevitably it will end up costing more having a shop fix it ,or damaging the car ,or hurting someone
i agree to point, but we could also say the same thing about the next kid that's never worked on a car before and gets on here asking how to rebuild the front end or do a disk brake swap. if someone wants to learn or has some experience, they need to start some where. so if they have time to practice, i don't think spring hangers and a mini tub are that hard to do. and cawley doesn't appear to be someone that's very slap dash

A LOT of people are using the later model Mustang rear suspensions under custom builds now. From what I understand they are easily adaptable to almost anything.

i agree to point, but we could also say the same thing about the next kid that's never worked on a car before and gets on here asking how to rebuild the front end or do a disk brake swap. if someone wants to learn or has some experience, they need to start some where. so if they have time to practice, i don't think spring hangers and a mini tub are that hard to do. and cawley doesn't appear to be someone that's very slap dash
We all had to learn,but I wouldn't start by reengineering the suspension, alignment, or the rearend that puts the horsepower to the road. One bad weld is all it takes. It might not be immediately could be 5000 miles later when ya hit that pothole that destroys the back half of the car. Being able to do something ,and being able to do it right or safely are a different story. All I'm saying is there is usually a reason someone asks for bolt on parts. I'm all for pushing your comfort zones ,but not if it involves the safety of others on the road. I'm sure if you were gonna do a disc brake swap you wouldn't recommend welding them where you wanted.
You would get the correct parts to do it.

I have mini tubed mopars before I have also moved the springs in before but that was at my dads place There was lots of room. When he passed away we had to sell his place. At my place now my garage has a 7 foot ceiling & it has about 2 1/2 feet of room on each side & 3 feet at the front & rear of the car. I can weld & have been doing body & paint for some time.

yep Nittos 275/50/17 went with that size because I had several people tell me that tire size would fit with out any mods. I cant imagine the 67 barracudas having that much of a different wheel tub.

Most 275’s are 11” wide at the section or even just under 11”. But those Nitto’s for some reason are 11.18”. So while most 275’s will fit without modifications, those Nitto 275/50/17’s will need a 1/2” spring offset to fit.

And you could take your rear axle to a welder and spend a lot less than $3k to have the perches moved in a 1/2”.

You don’t need a mini-tub though, the 1/2” spring offset should cover it with the right backspace

so those things are only a year old, and there's a bunch of them for sale. there's quite an implication in that. i just can't decide if it's funny or sad.....................

All I can say is "there they are". lol

so those things are only a year old, and there's a bunch of them for sale. there's quite an implication in that. i just can't decide if it's funny or sad.....................

Just like there's thousands of new hemi's for sale from dismantling yards.......................
And LS donor engines aplenty.

FUNNY

upload_2020-8-9_21-36-58.jpeg

upload_2020-8-9_21-38-36.jpeg

upload_2020-8-9_21-37-54.jpeg

upload_2020-8-9_21-38-53.jpeg

Most 275’s are 11” wide at the section or even just under 11”. But those Nitto’s for some reason are 11.18”. So while most 275’s will fit without modifications, those Nitto 275/50/17’s will need a 1/2” spring offset to fit.

And you could take your rear axle to a welder and spend a lot less than $3k to have the perches moved in a 1/2”.

You don’t need a mini-tub though, the 1/2” spring offset should cover it with the right backspace
17x9.5 rim w/ 5.05 backspacing as you can see in the picture the tire hits the inner wheel well

cudas  17 in wheels 002.JPG

cudas  17 in wheels 003.JPG

took the leaf spring out then put the wheel/tire up in place moved it over against the inner wheel well marked it. did some cutting I cut an 1/2 inch off the inner wheel well pounded it in. Then put the tire back in place centered it. Now I have around 3/4 of an inch at the inner quarter lip & at the inner wheel well. Will clean it up then weld it up when I have access to a welder. Now all I have to deal with is the leaf spring clearance. Not sure the offset idea will be enough. Be nice if I could buy a kit really cheap so I could find out. Then if it didn't then no big money lost. Don't want spend that kind of money & hope it works. I will post some pictures so everyone can see what I am taking about. I might also have to do something about the bulge that is just above the wheel well lip on the outter wheel well.

UPDATE There was three routes I could take on this. 1 buy new leaf springs & buy the offset hangers & hope they give me enough room. (need new spring anyways) 2 Buy new springs & the kit to move the springs in below the frame. That means a lot of cutting, welding & cutting a whole in the frame for the rear spring bushing. Ive done this before but had plenty of room to do it in. Its not hard but like I said I only have 7 ft ceilings. I think it would make things a pain in the you know what. 3rd option RMS rear suspension. Yea I know its the most expensive option. I was told I can barrow a welder. On the RMS you weld in the cross bar & your done. Plus it gives you up to a 3/4 inch clearance. When it comes to the moving the springs in option your looking at about $500 to $600 till all said & done. I look at it this way if I took my car in to a shop & said this is what I want done I cant imagine the labor cost. Ive talked to a friend who did the rear RMS suspension on his & he said its a piece of cake. Easy. Anyone hear have the RMS rear suspension ?

UPDATE There was three routes I could take on this. 1 buy new leaf springs & buy the offset hangers & hope they give me enough room. (need new spring anyways) 2 Buy new springs & the kit to move the springs in below the frame. That means a lot of cutting, welding & cutting a whole in the frame for the rear spring bushing. Ive done this before but had plenty of room to do it in. Its not hard but like I said I only have 7 ft ceilings. I think it would make things a pain in the you know what. 3rd option RMS rear suspension. Yea I know its the most expensive option. I was told I can barrow a welder. On the RMS you weld in the cross bar & your done. Plus it gives you up to a 3/4 inch clearance. When it comes to the moving the springs in option your looking at about $500 to $600 till all said & done. I look at it this way if I took my car in to a shop & said this is what I want done I cant imagine the labor cost. Ive talked to a friend who did the rear RMS suspension on his & he said its a piece of cake. Easy. Anyone hear have the RMS rear suspension ?

I thought the fender well interference was the issue?

Here’s offset hangers in a 68 Barracuda

The leaf spring and the stock inner fender well are in the same plane.

3349671D-2641-44CD-8712-344D49CCE5ED.jpeg

18F94427-DBC6-4E9E-93AD-ADF16106E3D6.jpeg

B089A426-6780-419A-BAEB-2C6221C6A25E.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back