Boring paint- ideas please

-
My opinion! Do a side stripe like the blue one above.. Black out the grille and tail panel, and do black steelies.

Masking tape + spraypaint = AWESOME and CHEAP!

I don't own a power polisher. Is there a product that will ship up my old yellow without killing me? Nu-Finish or something like that?

Thanks for all the help guys!

While understanding being broke, a polisher from the likes of Harbor Freight is cheap. If nothing else, it can be done by hand, but the polisher will yield better results.

I use Meguiar's. Start with polish, follow with glaze, then wax. Ultra Fine steel wool will remove minor surface rust on wheels, tire shine will bring tires back, flat black works great for under carriage. If it was me, I would be tempted to toy with the idea of flat blacking out the wheels, for a more stealth / street bruiser look? Maybe in silver / or charcoal?

Grey Hot Rod primer by rattle can. That's what I did. I took my time and masked everything real well and removed what I could and took my time. I even thought of doing flat black racing stripes at a later time.

John B.

Small Wanda.jpg

Small Wanda side.jpg

Grey Hot Rod primer by rattle can. That's what I did. I took my time and masked everything real well and removed what I could and took my time. I even thought of doing flat black racing stripes at a later time.

John B.
Nice work there John. Mine may get the same treatment for now. One shade of primer would look better than 4 shades of everything else. :)

SS hit it on the head. Its not much, but it would change the look. You could maybe fit some sort of lettering inside those lines too. Maybe the engine C.I. squished into the front section of the pin stripes. 360 or 318, what ever you have.

Excuse the scribbles but this is what I was saying. Minus all the crappy-ness! LOL

You could do all this with a rattle can, and some vinyl pinstripes.

pshop.jpg

Once again...thanks to everyone here...it's all good stuff..

I've been photoshoppin too....just don't know...

3.JPG

I don't own a power polisher. Is there a product that will ship up my old yellow without killing me? Nu-Finish or something like that?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Meguiars Color X does wonders to faded dull paint, clay bars work good too.

If I wanted to do the solid black in Spray can...what paint should I use? Any good spray cans out there? Gloss, flat, etc?

Thats all preference as far as flat or gloss, but from there it will depend on the tools you have available. If you have a small detail gun, then you could buy a quart of automotive paint. Scuff, clean, mask, spray! Stripe it with a thin vinyl pinstripe to cover your paint edges, and wah lah!
If you don't have any tools to do it that way, and don't have the cash, then I would start searching for opinions on rattle can paints. Choose one that seems to hold up. However, keep in mind that with your location, the paint from a rattle can may fade fairly quickly. If you protect it correctly, even spray paint will hold up for a good while. If it fades in 2 years, whats another 20.00 in spray paint and a few scrub pads to do it all over again?

Everybody jokes about Krylon, but its always been good paint when ever I have used it. Just be prepared to do a crap ton of medium coats so it doesn't run.
Plus if you go over the edges with a thin pinstripe, it will save the bare edges from taking abuse from washing and whatnot, it may hold up a bit longer.

I like the grille painted black as posted earlier in the thread. Could you do something on the back of the deck lid to imitate a finish panel that ties together the tail lights? On the side you could just add one thin stripe below your existing stripe but in a bright color that says "here I am".

i cant say i have a suggestion for the paint except clean it up/ clay bar/ polish/ wax and save for new paint...but when it comes to wheels, i think the ones you have now have way more going for them then a set of rallyes or steelies..if anything those will make the car look more boring imo...ive always felt that a car needs to have a certain look for rallyes or steelies to look "cool" and imo yours suits your wheels perfectly! keep em!

my .02 cents

Here is a better quality image....I am leaning toward one of these...Scat Pack decal placement? Thoughts? Thanks!

DONE.JPG

Once again...thanks to everyone here...it's all good stuff..

I've been photoshoppin too....just don't know...

I like the photo with the block pinstripes, but I would angle the vertical lines forward a bit. The solid black with the white 340 looks good too.

My bro bought a 76 duster and it was plain red. We painted the factory 73 stripe on it in a weekend using some pictures and the internet as guides. masket it off and sprayed it with spray bombs. Some masking tape, 4 cans and some plastic...retty cheap and it looked really good in my opinion.

Depends on your definition of cheap - is $75 a lot of money for a professionally made set of stripes? I do the 73/74 style stripes for that as well as custom AAR stripes. It's not as cheap as a krylon stripe set but it will definitely help your "boring" car out...

FWIW - I've done dozens of krylon stripes myself (before I started to make stripe kits), and they will certainly help and if that is all you budget allows, go for it!

I LOVE IT!!!! I was actually thinking about doing the same type of thing to a Ram Charger back when I was still looking for one. I figured if I found one it would need paint and I thought that an all blacked out RC with Hot Rod Black with Punisher logo on the hood would look too cool for words. "Unfortunately" the Ram Charger I ended up buying had a really nice paint job on it LOL

I LOVE IT!!!! I was actually thinking about doing the same type of thing to a Ram Charger back when I was still looking for one. I figured if I found one it would need paint and I thought that an all blacked out RC with Hot Rod Black with Punisher logo on the hood would look too cool for words. "Unfortunately" the Ram Charger I ended up buying had a really nice paint job on it LOL

DOH!!!!!!

-
Back