Bought another one...... this ones a '85

-
Bull crap!! Stop pussyfooting around and build something that'll blow his doors off no matter what he says he's got.
Oh, I could. But I'm going to do what I do, a low budget build that is street friendly. If he goes full stock eliminator on me, we'll race but I won't be very competitive...….

And NEITHER WOULD YOU !!!! BWAHAHAHHAAAA

Oh, I could. But I'm going to do what I do, a low budget build that is street friendly. If he goes full stock eliminator on me, we'll race but I won't be very competitive...….

And NEITHER WOULD YOU !!!! BWAHAHAHHAAAA
I never challenge jab to a race.
Here's what's so un exciting about your race.. you're constantly preparing to lose.
Instead of having to competitors that are preparing to win.

I never challenge jab to a race.
Here's what's so un exciting about your race.. you're constantly preparing to lose.
Trust me, I want to win and so does he. It's the playing field that will determine this, and here is what i mean.
  • I don't want to own, build or spend the money for a drag only car. His goal is to build a stock eliminator and has several key pieces already.
  • So, I think he is short term going to get a car running and ready, but not the stocker motor. This will make it fun, competitive, and we'll both be driving to win.
  • But, we're racing for funs. Period. We were going to get together and do this anyways.
  • we'll be friends when the race is over..... no sore losers :D

Last edited:
Back on track (no pun intended) - Anyways, this thread is about a '85 Ramcharger, not a race between Jab and 318WR.

P.S. - here is what was so Un-Exciting about YOUR race: 2 years and 2 threads of jibber jabber and There Wasn't a Race
:rofl:

Last edited:
Trust me, I want to win and so does he. It's the playing field that will determine this, and here is what i mean.
  • I don't want to own, build or spend the money for a drag only car. His goal is to build a stock eliminator and has several key pieces already.
  • So, I think he is short term going to get a car running and ready, but not the stocker motor. This will make it fun, competitive, and we'll both be driving to win.
  • But, we're racing for funs. Period. We were going to get together and do this anyways.
  • we'll be friends when the race is over..... no sore losers :D
You're going to lose you already said you did and you're already preparing for it.

Back on track (no pun intended) - Anyways, this thread is about a '85 Ramcharger, not a race between Jab and 318WR.

P.S. - here is what was so Un-Exciting about YOUR race: 2 years and 2 threads of jibber jabber and There Wasn't a Race
As always someone else start something and they don't finish it. That's why I don't want to get involved in any more races with people that don't show up.

Like you said though let's get back to fixing this 85 Ramcharger! Now how's that luck Holding Out, or that's right hope?

You're going to lose you already said you did and you're already preparing for it.
I said that?? :eek::eek:
As always someone else start something and they don't finish it. That's why I don't want to get involved in any more races with people that don't show up.
340 x-block vs. 410 stroker ?
You were the author of this thread - you started it..... :D

Like you said though let's get back to fixing this 85 Ramcharger! Now how's that luck Holding Out, or that's right hope?
I HOPE my LUCK doesn't run out....

I said that?? :eek::eek:
THAT'S THAT'S ALL YOU TALK ABOUT! LOSING!

340 x-block vs. 410 stroker ?
You were the author of this thread - you started it..... :D
YES did you lose track of the title? Don't forget that? Don't put things in life to make yourself seem so funny.
the title had something to do with just someone wanted to know if an ex blocked would be the Stroker depending and who put it together and all that stuff and just asking and then everybody turned it into some big race and then Goofball started another thread and never showed.
Now does that sound about right?

I HOPE my LUCK doesn't run out....
ME TOO! THAT'S ALL YOU GOT TO BEAT JAB!
I WISH YOU "SKILL" IN FINISHING YOUR TRUCK...
now that everything's rebutted before it's made fact let me just put it out there if you find any parts in my neck of the woods I trust you so much I'd go get them pay for them send them to you and wait for the check. Within reason.

Still have to have the permanent jumper wire at the starter relay . It starts right up with the key, but is dead without the jumper. The bypass or jumper wire goes from the ignition to solenoid at the starter relay. Never gets hot, only has power when the ignition is in the start position. Swapped engine wiring harness, ignition harness, and tried a different ignition switch. IDK.

I guess if it works like it should from inside using the key, I'll move on to see if i'm still overcharging and boiling the battery.

Jumper wire? What happen to the original wire that should do that?
I prefer my battery shaken not stired.

Jumper wire? What happen to the original wire that should do that?
I prefer my battery shaken not stired.
I'm not sure what's going on at this point. This wiring harness I put on is the same year (85) and has not been butchered. I even ditched the points and I'm running the factory electronic ignition/ballast resistor. Nothing is cobbled. No burnt wires, and no wires getting hot. I will take a couple of pictures tomorrow and post. There are a couple of connectors with nothing to connect them to, and one of these might be the culprit. More to come tomorrow …….. stay tuned :)

Ok, here are a couple of pictures.

Screw driver is touching the jumper wire. Without this wire, it will not start by the key. With this wire, it starts great with the key. No wires get hot.
DSCN1310.JPG

Here are a couple of wire connectors that are homeless. The only one that is of real concern to me is the orange wire up by the battery. It's the same color as the ignition wires, has a fusible link, and seems to be looking for power.

DSCN1311.JPG

DSCN1312.JPG

DSCN1313.JPG

Tape them or zip tie the spares out of the way and drive it like you stoled it.
yeah, that appears to be the plan. Now that it starts by the ignition, and I'm running the electronic ignition system (instead of the points; not that points are bad) as Chrysler made it, I'll move on and see what's going on in the "charging" world.... LOL. If I'm not boiling the battery, life will be good :)

In the second picture, the clip that has the two wires to it, doesn't that go to a cruise control?
It could. The cruise control canister is still there (you can see it in the background of the same picture), but nothing to really hook it up to.

I replaced the NSS and it fixed the jumper wire situation. Now, no jumper wire and it starts fine by key in Park and Neutral as it should.

So.....
  1. No smok'n or any wires getting hot (replaced engine harness and ignition switch harness) :)
  2. Starts by key - no jumper wires needed. (NSS fixed this) :)
  3. Last thing is to figure out why it overcharges. :( 17.3 when it should around 13 or so. I've replaced voltage regulator, alternator, engine wiring harness, and battery with known working components.

Last edited:
#3 Either bad ground between the regulator and firewall. or firewall and engine block.
Or regulator is bad
Or alternator is bad
Or a wire between these units is not connected either by a broken wire or bad connection.

My 81 dually with a 400 bb had no ground between the water pump housing and the block. Took me awhile to find that one.

#3 Either bad ground between the regulator and firewall. or firewall and engine block.
Or regulator is bad
Or alternator is bad
Or a wire between these units is not connected either by a broken wire or bad connection.

My 81 dually with a 400 bb had no ground between the water pump housing and the block. Took me awhile to find that one.
Agree. I 100% believe it's a ground.

ok, so I added a ground from the passenger head to the frame in front. Then I added another ground from the back of the same head to the voltage regulator. Still around 17.0

DSCN1329.JPG

DSCN1330.JPG

On a plus note, though, we had rain that turned to freez'n ice and then a dust'n of snow on top of that. My '01 Ram couldn't make short but kind of steep hill that leads to our drive way and slid back half off the road. I hooked up to it with this Ramcharger, dropped her in 4 Lo, and pull it out and up that hill and into our driveway. Pulled so easy I thought the chain unhooked... LOL :D

Now ground the alternator to the frame or head or both.

Your not using a 16 volt battery are you?

-
Back