Bought another one...... this ones a '85

-
Not sure if you got it figured out yet or not, but
20190102_150637.jpg
On my 87 Ramcharger, that orange wire 9goes to the battery and the flat 2 prong and blue wire goes to the cruise control.

My alternator has a blue and green wire connected to the back. A ground wire is connected to pass head to the firewall above the v.r. My 87 is pretty much untouched, and wires are the way it came from factory if I can be of any help.

20190102_152513.jpg

Now ground the alternator to the frame or head or both.

Your not using a 16 volt battery are you?
  • Isn't the alternator grounded with the bolt going through it directly into the head? Its the same head I ran a ground cable to the frame.
  • Battery is from one of my Dusters. In fact, it's the 3rd battery I've had in there.

Remember my big block that the water pump was not grounding? My hundreds of years of knowledge are trying to figure out this problem bear with me.

Well, here we go again. I swapped the alternator wires to see if it would stop overcharging. Started it up and smoke at the alternator and smoke at the orange wires. AARrrrgggggghhhhh!!!!

I swapped the wires at the alternator back and now I have wire repair to do. I have swapped these before on many mopars and NEVER this!

DSCN1331.JPG

DSCN1332.JPG

Looking at the picture in post 152, I have a green and red wire instead of a green and blue wire. However, my green was on the opposite plug as this picture, so I thought I would put my green wire "just to see" where it was in this picture.

Again, I've swapped these on many mopars and never this.

Unbelievable. Sorry about that.
Follow that car. Or better yet follow that wire.
It turns over by the key, but no spark. I believe the orange wire that burnt in two killed my spark. I'm running a jumper now to see if it will start

red and green wires are both field wires. green goes directly to the regulator, red branches off to ballast, regulator,ignition control unit and ignition switch.

Time for another barn picture.

20190102_161017.jpg

68 D200 with 4x4 axle, 360 4speed with over 500,000 miles.

No wiring problems anymore. Converted to electronic regulator years ago.

Last edited:
red and green wires are both field wires. green goes directly to the regulator, red branches off to ballast, regulator,ignition control unit and ignition switch.
Yes. I have no idea why switching the two would cause a melt down.... LOL

Last edited:
Ok, re-connected the burnt orange wire with a jumper and she started right up. No smoke, nothing hot. However, I checked the meter and it read 14.0 instead of 17.0 LOL. I revved it up, wiggled the wires, and 14.0 …….. Did I fix it by heating things up??????
:rofl:

I can say, I got a "smok'n" good deal on this one.. :D I did find a loose field connector on the alternator. I haven't tried a different alternator with THIS wiring harness. That may be my next move.....

had some fun cruising around today a bit.... no boiling the battery, everything electrical working, maybe I've won the battle..... :)

-
Back