brake booster bad ?

-

jivemother33

Reaction score
think my booster is bad . when i press the brakes in park or in gear my rpms go up 200 rpms . so coming to a stop sucks cause it wants to pull u threw the stop sign. can u rebuild them or do u have to buy new ? were is a good place to shop for one ? :burnout:

I had the diaphram replaced in my 7 inch brake booster from my 68 Barracuda.It cost me,but didn,t have to replace it with the big 9 inch booster.Do a google search for Brake booster rebuild kits.

Yup, I would say the diaphragm is ruptured, causing a vacuum leak when foot is on brake. A Vacuum leak at idle will cause rpm’s to increase.

O.K. what about having to press extra hard to get brakes to work? Would the booster need rebuilt?
Yes, have it rebuilt by a local builder if possible. I might be more than just a bad diaphram. The valving can go bad too.

A BAD BOOSTER WILL ALSO CAUSE A BAD MISS IN THE ENGINE , JUST LIKE A BURNT VALVE . THANKS:blob: :D

One way to test your booster is with the engine off, pump the brake pedal to make sure you have no vacuum to assist you anymore. Then depressed the brake pedal with modest effort.

Then start your engine, the pedal should gently soften with the pressure your foot has on it. if it remains hard then your booster is not working. Also check the valve that is meant to hold vacuum in the booster. they can cause or be the leak too.

A leaking booster is a vacumm leak and a vacuum leak makes for poor idle qaulity and can behave like a miss also.

Many people recommend this guy (I haven't tried):
http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/

The booster in my 65 Newport failed a month ago. It became hard to brake. I didn't notice an idle speed increase or poor idling. Took it apart and found the diaphragm cracked and hard right at the inlet hose, so probably from gas vapors. I had a filter in the hose and the check valve worked, but I bought it in 1992. Couldn't find a rebuild kit.

I had a booster from a 73 Dart that was almost identical (same diameter & manufacturer) except the mounting studs were different. I tried swapping rear plates, but the valve diameter differed. Ended up drilling new holes in my firewall to mount it and works fine. rockauto had the 65 Boosters for ~$120, but shipping and returning the core adds cost, hassle, and delays.

TrailBeast, my comments and I assume those of green1 are intended to help everyone, both now and in the future, not just solve the problem of the minute, so feel free to hold your tweets.

got a remand from summit works great never stoped this good before !! and no more rev up at a stop . car runs better all over the place

-
Back