Burnout blowout lol

-

cli55er

Tem Greene's Nephew
Reaction score
So this is what happens when you’re rolling on 23 year old tires that are mostly for rollers while you wait for your custom 10” wide rims to be done.

Infront of the house, line lock…. BAM!!!

Hella force to do that. But I fixed it best I could.

So… PSA… check how old your tires are and don’t do burnouts on rollers. Lmao!

IMG_8142.jpeg

IMG_8144.jpeg

IMG_8146.jpeg

IMG_8143.jpeg

Oh it did…. A chunk went flying inside the trunk and made a reverse ding in the side rear upper quarter.. which spider cracked the paint like a bb size. The paint is over 30 years old and is driver quality…so I wasn’t too upset.

How about leaving burnouts to the Roadkill guys.

Never understood the attraction for burnouts, unless you are at the track?

You can blowup your transmission as well!

How about leaving burnouts to the Roadkill guys. How about No!!! I was doing burnouts when Frieburger was still in diapers.... Why would we let him have all the fun?

Never understood the attraction for burnouts, unless you are at the track? We don't expect you to
understand, Just go sit in your recliner & drink your milk...

You can blowup your transmission as well! Should that happen we'll drink a few beers, laugh about it & build a new transmission... And be back doing burnouts next week....

1WildRT said:
You can blowup your transmission as well! Should that happen we'll drink a few beers, laugh about it & build a new transmission... And be back doing burnouts next week....

Yeah, never mind the trans coming apart and causing bodily trauma. Could never happen to me, right?

1WildRT said:

Yeah, never mind the trans coming apart and causing bodily trauma. Could never happen to me, right?
Torqueflights that actually explode are caused by having the sprag fail & the front drum free spinning to the point of failure... That typically happens when the drum exceeds 9-10K.. Engine RPM would be less but still likely 6500 rpms.. When doing burnouts I doubt my engine ever sees 5000 rpms...

The burnout that will get ya is holding first gear coming out of the water & the tires hook.... And the trans blows not during the burnout but when you leave the line...

Since there's no water involved in any of my burnouts there's no sudden change in grip so laying the sprag over isn't an issue...

I think you need another glass of milk....

Last edited:
Torqueflights that actually explode are caused by having the sprag fail & the front drum free spinning to the point of failure... That typically happens when the drum exceeds 9-10K.. Engine RPM would be less but still likely 6500 rpms.. When doing burnouts I doubt my engine ever sees 5000 rpms...

The burnout that will get ya is holding first gear coming out of the water & the tires hook.... And the trans blows not during the burnout but when you leave the line...

Since there's no water involved in any of my burnouts there's no sudden change in grip so laying the sprag over isn't an issue...

I think you need another glass of milk....
Hmmm...

Thank you for the lesson in how the trans grenades, and I do like my milk. You're assuming the sprag is in good condition at all times, which it may not be. A failure at 5000 RPM equals a drum speed of 12250 (2.45 first gear), so it's easy to understand why flying pieces do so much damage/injury. Go ahead and continue your burnouts. I do hope you never have a catastrophic failure.

Sadly some folks will read this and think it was a doomed tire from the start (when it was made 23 years ago). Those same folks look at the 23 year old tire and think ‘it only has 7k miles on it and theres no cracking on it and there’s lot of tread left and it’s been parked indoors out of the sun for the past 18 years’.

Tire compound starts to age the minute they are born. There is no magic set of tires that will/can last a decade or more and remain structurally sound for roll they provide.

Funny thing…. Cracked a flexplate or bearing in trans just driving to go get a shipping quote for the alternator I’m selling. So really…. You never know what’s gonna happen. No matter how you drives.

This was a full sfi b&m plate too. Pretty sure it cracked at or let loose a crank side bolt. If it isn’t the flexplate… it’s the converter side bearing.

Gonna go TREMEC 5 or 6 speed… anyone got a non auto column?

-
Back