Buying & Selling Vehicles across the Canadian - USA Border

-

7demon2

Registered User #1824
Reaction score
ok not so much technical car information here directly, but good info none the less. i have seen on more that one occasion the topic come across about what it takes to get a car either to or from canada across the border. well here is a guideline to use. i found this info on mapleleaf mopars site: http://mapleleafmopars.homestead.com/index.html . i want to make them get all the credit for the post. i am just helping spread the word. there may be better ways to do this, but this is at least a good guide.......

Importing/Exporting

Here's some tips for Buying & Selling Vehicles across the Canadian - USA Border

For Canadians Buying an American Car

Exporting a vehicle from the US to Canada:

To export a vehicle you need to present the title 72 hours in advance to U.S. Customs. Call the port you are going to be going through for specifics (some won't accept faxes, some only do exports during certain hours, make sure to get officers names when you call, etc.) If you fax the title make sure that a cover sheet goes with it. On the cover sheet put the year, make, complete VIN#, contact name, and contact # in case we can't read the VIN. That way we have a way to verify the VIN. Any liens must be satisfied prior to export. Stop at Customs on the US side and present original documents (title) for export. Make sure the car is present at time of export for exam (if need be) and bring in the fax confirmation stating it was faxed. The fax confirmation should have the VIN or something on there showing it was faxed, not just the "OK message". There is no way to associate that with the actual fax and may not be accepted. US will stamp the title and you will be on your way to Canada. Remember to call what port you will be dealing with for specifics. Also more details can be found at http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/. As stupid as it sounds make sure the vehicle is present for inspection at time of import/export procedures. Failure to do so may result in penalties. If you are carrying over $10,000 cash you NEED to declare it prior to leaving and entering both countries. It's not illegal to do so, but it must be declared. There is no tax or duty on the money. If it's not declared and either country finds it, it WILL be seized. Other port phone numbers can be found at www.cbp.gov and just click on the port tab at the top of the page and go from there. It's pretty simple to find the phone number..

To summarize what you need for U.S. Customs:

*FAX title a minimum of 72 hours in advance of border crossing

*FAX MUST HAVE cover sheet with VIN, Year, Make, Model, Contact Name & Phone Number

*Ensure you receive a FAX Conformation Sheet with the VIN showed

*You MUST HAVE the conformation FAX along with the Original Title at time of crossing

*Have the Vehicle available for inspection

*Bill of Sale

*Declare cash you are carrying

*Phone ahead to Customs at the border crossing to see if they have any specific hours for exporting vehicles. For example Port Huron has the following Mon-Thurs 8am to 8pm, Fri 8am to noon, no exporting on weekends. That is a recent change.

*Inquire where the Exporting Office is, you must stop before leaving the USA. If they have an exporting inspection set up or you are randomly stopped, you are subject to a $10,000 fine and vehicle forfeit.

What you need for Canadian Customs:

*Stamped Title of Vehicle

*Bill of Sale (so they can charge you the GST)

*Date of Manufacture (Door Sticker)

*Air Conditioned Vehicles are subject to an additional $100 Tax

Things I Recommend for Canadian Customs:

*Copy of the Method of Payment (Cashier's Check, Money Order, Cash Exchange etc.)

*Printout of the Ad where you seen the car for sale.

*Printout of any email correspondence between yourself and the seller where the price of the vehicle was discussed.

Be aware honesty is always the best policy, especially when dealing with Customs. Be prepared for Customs to investigate the declared value (yes they have access to the internet for things like completed Ebay Auctions). The best place to save a few bucks is when you are negotiating price when buying the car, not at the border trying to avoid paying tax!!!

Ensure the vehicle is able to be imported into Canada by checking this list:

List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States

For any other questions or concerns please check out the following website: Registrar of Imported Vehicles

For Americans Buying a Canadian Car

Import a vehicle from Canada into the US:

Ok, here's what NEEDS to be done. If you pay someone to bring it across, it is commercial. That means he will need to see a US Customs Broker, which costs money. How much I am not sure. If you can, bring it across yourself. Personal importations are a heck of alot less paperwork and money to dish out. The vehicle needs to meet US EPA and US DOT requirements at time of import, you also need proof of ownership (bill of sale and Canadian title), fair market value (www.kbb.com). When re-entering the US, stop at the inspection booth and declare you need to import the car. They will send you into the office with your paperwork. Here's the tricky part. In order for the vehicle to meet US EPA and US DOT standards, it either needs to be labeled, or a letter of conformity from the manufacturer. EPA labeling is under the hood and must state meets US standards and DOT is in the driver side door jamb and CANNOT have the Canadian Maple Leaf. For instance, if you are bringing in a Chevy, you need a letter from GM on their letterhead stating if it meets the 2 above standards and the letter must include the VIN#. Dealer can help get the letter, but MUST be from the mfg. Or you can try contacting the mfg. directly through their addresses and phone numbers listed on www.nhtsa.gov at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/VIG_Canada07032.html .EPA is exempt if it's over 21yrs old and DOT exempt if over 25yrs old(or vice versa, don't have the forms in front of me). You can see that EPA and DOT are the tricky part. Once it is established that the EPA and DOT are met, we will fill out the rest of the paperwork for the import. You will need a CF7501, DOT form, EPA form, and duty MAY apply. The packet of papers you get from Customs needs to go to the DMV to get a title issued. Make sure there is a red stamp on the paperwork. Duty is 3% on the first $1000 and 2.5% on the balance if not made in the US, Canada, or Mexico. If the VIN starts with 1=US, 2=Canada, 3=Mexico, 4 & 5=US (free trade zones), anything other than the 1-5 will have duty to be paid at Customs. The fair market value is what you will be taxed on at the DMV. That's about it. It's always a good idea to call the Customs office you will be entering the US at to see if there are any small differences. The above is for Port Huron, MI. References include CFR 12.73 for EPA and CFR 12.80 for DOT on the cbp website. You may want to verify the VIN and in the driver side door jamb there should be a month and year of manufacture, jot down the MO and YR as that is the number one thing people get sent back outside to get. If exporting a car to Canada its CFR 192.2 As stupid as it sounds, make sure the vehicle is present for import / export procedures for inspection. Failure to do this may result in penalties. If you are carrying over $10,000 cash you NEED to declare it prior to leaving and entering both countries. It's not illegal to do so, but it must be declared. There is no tax or duty on the money. If it's not declared and either country finds it, it WILL be seized. Other port phone numbers can be found at www.cbp.gov and just click on the port tab at the top of the page and go from there. It's pretty simple to find the phone number.

Hopefully the above information can help act as a guide for anyone considering doing a cross border vehicle purchase. Procedures often change so please do your own research to make sure the information is current and relevant to your circumstances.
A good start would be to ensure the vehicle you wish to import is approved for import to your country. You may be in for a rude surprise if you skip this step.
I would like the thank Adam (MI_Custumz) for his help in writing this Guide.

Good Luck!

Just wanted to say thank you for posting the information. I was actually thinking of replacing my daily runner some day with a southern vehicle of about the same make and vintage (it's a 1992 Dodge Spirit) that I am quite happy with. This information I will be keeping handy.
By the way, the reason I want to replace it is that the body is really starting to rust out. It only has 147000 kms. (about 88000 miles) and runs like a top.
Sorry about the long-winded speech; didn't want to hyjack your thread.
Cheers.... Paul

It really pays to use a good, reliable company! I bought a 70 Challenger convertible ( 24 k miles, Not a cheap car!) from a Gentleman in Quebec and, long story short, the car dissapeared for 3 months with no contact from the shipper! Finally found the car in the US up in Ma. in a car lot. Cheapest price is seldom the best way to go when it comes to shipping a car!

Hi
I have imported a few cars from the US to Canada, no problem easy to do.
To most at the border they are just old cars and the checks for Titles and receipts is a stolen car issue, seems thats all they care about, oh and of course the taxes LOL
Just ask and the info is there (at the borders) Paper work in order and zip right though..... Dont let the borders scare you from that dream car!
I prefer to make a trip of it and get the car myself....more fun! :)

Yea I sold a 68 dart to a guy from Canada & he said he had a three to four day wait before he could cross the boarder. I cant remember where he said he was from. I wander what ever happened to that car ? I t was red w/ black & gray int. Ill have to dig up some pics

CAWLEY Hi
I have bought a few cars from the USA and brought them back to Canada.
I did buy a Dart 69 convert a few years back....A 69 Barracuda 383 4 speed car as well.
72 hours is what the USA side requests after they receive a copy for the title via fax.
I arrived one time about 4 hours early and the US border guard was going to make me wait....even though he did have all the papers waiting and ready..lol
It all worked out in the end.....IM sure he was just proving a point...?
I wish I could say I was the guy who bought your car (Dart) but nope, not me.
Enjoy the ride.... !

Why you have to present the car to the export customs?
In European Community we can cross borders without any taxes, if we sell a car to outside EC the customs are completely desintereted. Only thing you have to declare are military equipments.

And importing is easy, too. All I need is a title with a VIN and the sales-contract. Calculating custom-fees lasts maybe 30 minutes.

I thought trading between US and Canada would be much easier...

Why you have to present the car to the export customs?
In European Community we can cross borders without any taxes, if we sell a car to outside EC the customs are completely desintereted. Only thing you have to declare are military equipments.

And importing is easy, too. All I need is a title with a VIN and the sales-contract. Calculating custom-fees lasts maybe 30 minutes.

I thought trading between US and Canada would be much easier...

You would think it would be easier....
They want to make sure that the vehicle you are importing is cleared and not stolen. and obviously they want the tax money...
I've done this a few times,US to Canada, and make sure you have all of your documents proof of purchase and a receipt...they've even been on my ebay account just to verify the amount paid to the seller.

New E-mail for USA--> Canada export (Ontario). The Lewiston Bridge crossing into Ontario has an E-mail address to let them know your coming 72hrs in advance. You can still fax or use this email.

[email protected] They will provide confirmation, Keep and print for day of crossing.

Again 72hrs notice with the following info in the e-mail

IE:
Description: "Car, Vehicle"
Make: "Dodge,Plymouth"
Model: "Dart,Barracuda,Scamp,Valiant"
Vin: "12345678abcdefg"

Report to room 135 for presentation day of crossing.
Bring:

Car,Registration,Bill of Sale,Passport,Printed E-mail confirmation from DHS,Lean info if any

That's it that's all..... Easy

On the Canadian side present the documentation from DHS pay the duty and away you go.

I'll be crossing on April 25th and will report back if anything has changed.
Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any questions.

Ok folks pretty much as explained as above. Very easy to export into Canada 0 hitches and about 40 min between both sides excluding line up for booths (toll/customs)

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

The only addition above is in regard to the 72 hrs. Depending on the border crossing - the 72 hrs may start at 8am Monday and be interupted at 4pm Friday. So if you fax Friday you may not be cleared until Wednesday.

Some other additions to above are Canada will collect $100 air tax regardless of whether the AC is working or not even all there(just the AC on the dash will cost you)
Vehicles not manufactured in North America will be subject to Duty

We wanted to cross over last Monday at 0900hrs. So the wife and I sent an e-mail Wednesday. Confirmation e-mail was sent within 25 minutes and we printed it as per instructions. They never did ask to see it. It was a good buffer. The DHS gentleman came out with the registration looked at the vin's to make sure they matched stamped it and cleared us. Under 10 minutes. 6 minutes was used to talk **** about Mopars. Lol
The Canadian side took the longest as they went over the car and there was 1 form to fill out. If you really want to speed things up bring the original ad for the purchase. Ie. Craigs list, E-bay listing number, Kijiji, paper, website.
They did not believe the car was 5gs until I supported the cliam with the ad. The bill of sale was not sufficent enough.

Anymore questions PM me.

LOL- the Canadian boys challenge you a bit to see if you waver on your price. A copy of your wire transfer or MO is enough but they seem to pick out the first timers to hassle a bit. Its been a while since I have gone into the passenger car side as I usually have a trailer load so I preclear them for import.
At Lewiston US customs- the young lady will ask for the email and I have seen her make people wait because they leaned on her counter. I prefer to deal with the man.
Port Huron is busier and more professional with a more thorough inspection of the imported vehicles.

It's the export requirement on the U.S. side that confounds me, I've exported several vehicles into Mexico and this is the first I've even heard of any export check.

They only run the vin on the reg to the vin on the car. The 72 hours alows them to check leans and to make sure it hasn't been reported stolen.

The requirements have changed dramatically for exporting a vehicle from the United States to Canada as of November 2014.

Canadian citizens must contact a Customs Broker to apply for an Number from the Taxation department in the USA. I will consult my notes and re-post a detailed instruction later.

-
Back